PDA

View Full Version : SBH cylinder pin?

NSP64
05-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I am new to single action pistols and my SBH (44mag 1987) has some slop in the cylinder. I have been reading about replacing the cylinder pin with one from Belt Mountain. Is it worth it or a waste of time and money?

Took to the range today and was trying out. No spliting lead. Likes the Lee 310gr boolit.

Ickisrulz
05-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Since the Belt Mountain Base Pins are thicker it may help with your slop. Plus they lock in place and can help keep the base pin from shooting loose under heavy recoil. I think they look kind of cool too. For around $20.00 it might be worth a try. I'd suggest a Wolf spring kit too if you don't already have them. ll are user installed.

44man
05-03-2010, 09:20 PM
A tiny amount of slop is GOOD and as long as the pin stays in under recoil, leave it alone. A very few Ruger's had some issues with the pin jumping out. I have not had one yet so I don't know how common it is.
If you want the best accuracy, do not make the cylinder super tight.

05-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Installation of a Wolff spring kit took my .357 Blackhawk from a 6-pound trigger pull down to 3-pounds. Also, removing one leg of the hammer spring from its lug -- poor man's trigger job -- makes a noticable difference.

jmsj
05-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I bought one for my stainless steel single six w/ birdshead grip in .32 H&R magnum. It fit great and improved groups a little. The best thing is it stopped the cylinder pin from popping out.
I bought another one for my bisley/vaquero in .45 Colt. It was so tight I had to do a little fitting to get it to go in and be able to rotate the cylinder without binding, after all that the gun shot worse. On this gun the cylinder pin doesn't pop out even with the heaviest loads I shoot, so I really didn't need it.
So one win and one loss. jmsj