PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks for PB CB???

Duckhunter
05-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I have seen some references to gas checks for plain based cast boolits. I did not know that this was possible. Can someone enlighten me on the subject??? What is happening; do you use an oversized check and force it through the sizing die so that the check is forced onto the base of a PB boolit and compressed into the lead base? To say the least, this is an interesting concept- if it can be done.

blaser.306
05-03-2010, 09:58 PM
The best info you will find ,would be to P/M Pat marlin .From the vendor sponsors I think he is possibly making a tool to do just what you want!

longbow
05-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Here is an article on the tool/check. Not sure if they are still available anywhere but they used to be:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/freechec.htm

Longbow

Duckhunter
05-04-2010, 12:38 AM
I'm just starting into boolit casting and I am still learning (probably won't quit for a while yet). I am kinda "dead in the water" at the moment because I am waiting on a part for my press, can't reload with a broke press, so I read a lot. Some inforamtion is useful, some isn't and some is just interesting. The GC on a PB boolit is something I had never encountered before. Thanks for adding to my education.

DH

maddog2020
05-04-2010, 02:54 AM
I put a gas check on my 41 pb bullets.
I just put check on base and run it backwards through lee sizing die

rbuck351
05-04-2010, 04:29 AM
If you get one of the GC makers or make your own, you can make GCs out of soda pop cans. They are only about .004 to .005 thick and go on plain base boolits very nicely. I just stick them on just like normal checks in a luber sizer. There are a lot of people here that tell how to make a check maker and what thickness aluminum to use and such. Some use simple dies and punches, others use more complex press mounted one step check makers.

redneckdan
05-04-2010, 07:33 AM
If you take a hornady cam lock bullet puller in the proper size, invert the bullet, and use the collet to squish down the base a bit, gas checks slide on nicely.

maddog2020
05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
hey redneckdan, you know anyone who may have some collets for those?
I have one but biggest collet is for a .284 bullet