PDA

View Full Version : 45LC 260 gr -+ on large hogs?

Changeling
05-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Has anyone found a 45 caliber hard cast water dropped wheel weight WFN 260 gr plus or minus a few grains in the 1100fps range lacking in penetration on large hogs, meaning through and through penetration ?

This is very interesting to me.

Wayne Dobbs
05-04-2010, 11:50 AM
That combo will shoot through a couple of hogs!

cptinjeff
05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Unless the hog is standing in front of a proper backstop.....you won't be recovering any boolits for inspection.:grin::Fire:

GLynn41
05-04-2010, 10:25 PM
i agree-- put it were it belongs and your good

Gee_Wizz01
05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
A 250 gr 45 Colt at 1020 fps will penetrate a 150 lb hog from nose to tail and exit the hog. It takes the fight right out of an upset hog.

G

stubshaft
05-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Been dying to recover a boolit but never had the chance.

They go coast to coast!

GDLT31
05-05-2010, 05:05 AM
My son and I hunt hogs with a pair of Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt and we have yet to have a hog get up and walk away.I try to keep the fps around 900.Most our shots are 50 yards or less.

olde sarge
05-05-2010, 03:28 PM
My experience on many hogs is that a 260 grain at about 875fps out of a Uberti Colt clone will penetrate completely and unfailingly. My dogs and myself depend on it in situations that get out of hand. Never have recovered one to look at it due to complete penetration. Have shot hogs of up to 311lbs with this combo. DRT in all cases. John

Changeling
05-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks Guys for the information, I wish now I had asked what was the "Meplat" diameter of your bullets. I'm trying to get an idea of just how big of a meplat I can go with the 45 and still retain accuracy and penetration, accuracy is a major priority with me, but I definitely don't want to give up penetration.
I seriously doubt shots will ever exceed 100 yard, and more than likely 50 yd or so/less
Truth be known, I would rather have them all walk by at 6 feet so I could shoot and duck, LOL.

I really didn't think I would get many responses and am really surprised/pleased, it's evident that I'm talking to people that genuinely know what the hell I'm talking about and not the "Cruisers".

SharpsShooter
05-05-2010, 06:52 PM
45 colt for hogs? Not a problem! Keep this little bit of historia in mind. A 255gr round nose pushed along with 40 grains of black powder would penetrate a horse and kill the Indian hiding on the other side...at 100 yards.

SS

chaos
05-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I believe your choice of slug/ speed will be just fine. Take Every one you can as once they get started on a place, you cant get rid of them.

Gee_Wizz01
05-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I agree with Chaos I have also seen hard hit hogs get up and run for anywhere from 10 to 100 yards. I also shoot a lot of them in the boiler room and I have had excellent results. I have also experienced on two occasions a poorly hit hog wheel around and come after me. Luckily both died enroute. I have a whole lot of respect for wild hogs, I have seen first hand the damage they can do to a person. Some my cousins kids used to hunt them with spears and knives until one the kids got tore up by a wounded hog, he lost a lot of blood and had over 100 stitches in his legs and butt. I have recovered one boolit from a hog. It was a Lyman 452389 WDWW weighing about 194 grains it was fired out of a 45ACP with a muzzle velocity of about 750 fps and was a light load that got mixed in with my higher velocity loads. That boolit went through the hogs front right shoulder blade through the lungs, left rear hip joint and stopped under the skin at the butt. As a note the hog ran about 35 yards. A 250 + grain boolit at close to 1000 fps will give a lot more penetration. As for meplats, I generally use the Lee 250 gr RNFP, Lyman 454424 or the 454190.

G

cptinjeff
05-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Actual boolit wieght I use is 280g wfn (Veral's) with a meplat of .370. I shoot the most accurate load I can find in the 1100-1250 range (accuracy plus shootablility FOR ME).

A 260g WFN should be just as potent if that is what you have, but as stated earlier Keiths's and RF's do well also. Have fun!!:cbpour:

Changeling
05-06-2010, 03:33 PM
I know Chaos knows!!! I saw some pictures he posted of some hogs and either his son or brother I don't remember witch it was. They were some really nice pictures.

chaos
05-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I know Chaos knows!!! I saw some pictures he posted of some hogs and either his son or brother I don't remember witch it was. They were some really nice pictures.

Pretty much all I hunt are hogs. I leave the deer for my kids.

I sometimes take hogs in the head( mostly hunt handgun only), but am INSISTANT thast my kids make boiler room shots. They will run 99% of the time, but the leave a brightly painted trail, unlike a bad placed CNS shot. This is a mistake if you read much internet garb. Works out pretty well for us though.

Hogs are not any harder to kill than whitetail deer, sometimes you do have to worry about what the do between the time they are shot and when they expire. Boiler room is slightly farther forward then on a whitetail.

The youngest boy and I got "Treed" this year by a BIG ole sow after I took one of her piglets with my only rifle hunt of the year.

Here are some of the few times when I had a camera Handy:

I took two of these with 44-240-swc loaded pretty hot (44 SBH)
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/hogs-1.jpg

My Oldest son took the other two with fairly light loaded 44-250-KT out of Marlin 1894

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/hogs2.jpg

My youngest son with a pair for the smoker, 44-240-SWC loaded pretty mild
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/LandinHogs2.jpg

Oldest with his trusty 30-30 hog medicine, cheap bulk packet winchester power point 150's:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/chaseshog.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/ChasesHogIV-1.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/chasey.jpg

A couple with the .45 acp, Zero brand 230 FMJ ball slug, loaded about 800fps
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/piggy1.jpg

The only bullet failure that I've ever had was with this Big boy. 45-70 300gr Remington bulk packed Hp loaded way too fast. I took this one in East texas ( other end of the state) on a friend's farm. I was trying to see how hard I could push this particular slug. The slug disentigrated in the off side.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/hog1.jpg

And for those who insist that I am full of B.S. and a cannon must be used:
405 gr 45-70 fairly hot loaded.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/piglet.jpg

Out of 131 pics at my sons deer feeder, over the course of 3 days. 125 or so looked like this:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/CDY_01021.jpg

From my meager experience in taking hogs, I think your load suggestion would be just fine.

They do NOT have a Magical Mystical armour plate that folks on most websites would lead one to believe. They do have a layer of cartiledge or fat on the front shoulder, but it wont even stop a .22

I have NEVER recovered a Cast boolit from the carcass of a hog. I do line up pigs when the opportunity presents it self and take out multiple with one shot. The only slug I ever recovered was one of the afore mentioned Keith slugs. It passed through one boars head, and through a sow darn near lenghwise, bounced off the leg of one of those feeders wnd was lying on the ground when I walked up. Fired from approximately 50 yards from a SBH hunter in .44.

Once they get started on a place, they are near impossible to remove.

I've been hunting Hogs for A LONG time. Only been hunting them with cast and casting since april of 08. I have learned a wealth of information from those on this site in a relatively short amount of time and am grateful that such a place as this exists.

I DO NOT have any experience with any other cast slugs on Hogs. I know many here tout the devastating effects of heavier slugs for such duty, but for my applications, they seem to be a severe waste of lead.

Ranch Dog also has ALOT of experience taking hogs with cast loads.

thebigmac
05-08-2010, 02:11 PM
CHAOS; Fine looking hogs.. Great photos too. I've been hog hunting only once in my life. Loved it. Took one at aout 35 Yds., 260 Lbs. Used a LAR Grisley in .45 Win Mag with 230 gr. rnd nose- lead. Shoulder/lung shot. It ran @ 20 yds & dropped dead. Keep those boys hunting, we need the younger generation to become involved.. I have 3 sons who are great hunters. They have given me many memories from the woods & fields. "Never give up your guns." Bigmac

Changeling
05-08-2010, 03:17 PM
WOW, chaos those pictures are awesome. Looking at your son's feeder pictures (night) I can understand what you mean when you say they are impossible to thin out or get rid of. We don't have any where I live (Frederick Maryland) but I've been told it's just a matter of time. When I say we don't have any, tyhat is not exactly right. Some have been seen about 20 miles from here.
I talked to a State cop about it and was told they had already been told NOT to press anyone that sees and shoots them on sight. They are scared they will take over like they have further south. Coyotes are starting to be seen also, I have seen 2 in the past year but didn't have a gun at the time.

Thanks for the pictures and replying, I believe you know a lot more about hogs than you think.
Now that big one is a prime example, it seems as they get bigger they get a lot smarter, but dam chaos I didn't know they were starting to carry rifles, man this could really get serious, LOL

Flinchrock
05-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Great post CHAOS!!!

Dale53
05-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Chaos brought up a good point. Look at the "kill zone" on a hog:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/feralhog1.jpg

I found this image VERY instructive.

Chaos, it looks like "You da MAN" when it comes to hunting hogs!!

Dale53

TCLouis
05-09-2010, 10:39 AM
call "fairly light loaded" RCBS boolit in the 44 Maggie?

By the by 8.0 of my powder and the 250 RNFP frrom 45 2.1s GB gives me 972 fps from a 7.5" Redhawk a straight extrapolation would yield 1121 fps for 9.5 plus the added oomph the rifle length barrel would add to give one the "Elmer Load" of yesteryear of bout 1200 fps.

"Mild" but effective yet today apparently.

johnmerry
05-09-2010, 05:47 PM
I shot the same load in my Uberti using unique the gun blew up in my hands

johnmerry
05-09-2010, 05:49 PM
My experience on many hogs is that a 260 grain at about 875fps out of a Uberti Colt clone will penetrate completely and unfailingly. My dogs and myself depend on it in situations that get out of hand. Never have recovered one to look at it due to complete penetration. Have shot hogs of up to 311lbs with this combo. DRT in all cases. John

I shot the same load in my Uberti using Unique.the gun blew up in my hand

johnmerry
05-09-2010, 05:52 PM
What do you think of the 45 Colt with a 325 gr. Keith with a gas check at 1250 fps?

GLynn41
05-10-2010, 04:31 PM
ouch!-- I had a Ruger .45 and shot some 310s at about 1070 --- ouch in that light Blackhawk-- -- as to the hog if my .41 cal 255 at 1350 will go through a 280# boar(so the guide said) the from 40+ long steps you should have no problem// especially since your 260's were not a problem

olde sarge
05-10-2010, 06:56 PM
johnmerry, I would be very intrested in the dope on how much Unique you were using to get this result plus the rest of your recipe, alloy and anything else relivant to your load . Was thinking of switching to Unique and now I am hesitant. John

Hickory
05-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Been dying to recover a boolit but never had the chance.

You may notget the chance.
I've shot two deer full length at over 50 yds with a 44 mag at 1150 fps with Lyman's 429421 boolit and never recovered the boolits either time.

MtGun44
05-10-2010, 07:51 PM
You'll likely NEVER recover any Keith or similar cast design at 900 fps or higher
from a .44 or .45 if it weighs 240 or more. They just sail on thru.

I, too, would like to know how much Unique blew up the Uberti. My initial bet is
a double charge -- VERY easy to do with the giant cases of the .44s and .45s.

Bill

chaos
05-10-2010, 08:16 PM
call "fairly light loaded" RCBS boolit in the 44 Maggie?

Thanks for the PM, TC

I do understand what you are saying. My" light" loading equates to about the same as the old kieth load when coming out of that carbine.

I've used that same load out of 5 1/2 inch Super blackhawks as well with the same results.

"Light" is a relative term as on most sites that are geared solely toward Hog hunting, "Experts" will argue that without 300 gr loads with wrist smashing amounts of powder ......... it just cant be reliably done. I've been booted from a few websites for knowing better. Thus my designation of the loading as "Light" or "mild"

I appreciate you making me stop and think about that one.

Lead melter
05-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Thanks Guys for the information, I wish now I had asked what was the "Meplat" diameter of your bullets. I'm trying to get an idea of just how big of a meplat I can go with the 45 and still retain accuracy and penetration, accuracy is a major priority with me, but I definitely don't want to give up penetration.

No experience with hogs vs. 45 here, but I have had good luck with the Lee C452-300-FP over 8 grains Unique in my BH and Winny 45. Now that is a WIDE meplat and very accurate in both guns. Like I said, no tests on porcine targets, but cats sure don't like 'em.:violin:

pls1911
05-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Son's preference for the 30-30 shows again that it's plenty stout with good shot placement.
Put your cast bullet through the shoulder with any of Chaos' stated loads and there's no squealin' argument!!! It's DRT!!!
Let's here a "Hooray" for folks keeping their kids hunting!!
Cheers.

jlchucker
05-12-2010, 09:01 AM
We don't have hogs where I come from. Just to add to the conversation though, have any of you guys ever used a Lyman 429215 boolit on hogs? I've loaded this boolit for a Winnie trapper carbine behind 18 to 20 grains of 2400 for years. Accurate and plenty snappy enough for deer, but you never hear of many guys using it for much.

Dale53
05-12-2010, 01:09 PM
I have had good reports on this bullet. However, speaking ONLY for myself, I have deliberately stayed away from gas check bullets for handguns due to the extra time and expense for little or no gain.

My shooting with the big boomers has, in the past, been confined mostly to the .44 Magnum. I do have a 375 JDJ that is certainly a "big boomer" but I have only shot it with full loads and jacketed bullets. I have a .375 H&H Magnum and had a LOT of bullets for it that I bought from a "going out of business" sale for small change, so just used those. I did shoot some cast bullets (gas checked) for the .375 H&H with good results but that is NOT a handgun.

By far, the majority of my .44 handgun shooting has been with either the 429421 Keith or the H&G #503 Keith - both bullets are 250 gr SWC's.

FWIW
Dale53

Changeling
05-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the PM, TC

I do understand what you are saying. My" light" loading equates to about the same as the old kieth load when coming out of that carbine.

I've used that same load out of 5 1/2 inch Super blackhawks as well with the same results.

"Light" is a relative term as on most sites that are geared solely toward Hog hunting, "Experts" will argue that without 300 gr loads with wrist smashing amounts of powder ......... it just cant be reliably done. I've been booted from a few websites for knowing better. Thus my designation of the loading as "Light" or "mild"

I appreciate you making me stop and think about that one.

I just had to come back to this post and thank you for being a honest man, sometimes one hears so much BS it makes one doubt the reality of what you have seen and know to be true. You start to doubt yourself even with reality staring you in the face because a lot of self proclaimed experts with semi written credentials keep blasting one with the same ****.
I do realize that heavy for caliber bullets are more accurate than the lighter weights (within reason)simply because they are longer with more bearing surface relative to velocity. However how much accuracy are we talking about? Me thinks very little.
If I loose a couple inches at 100 yards because my bullets weigh 250 to 280grs vs a 300gr PLUS bullet that won't differ in penetration on basically anything in the USA (Through and through is what it says) then why would I want a wrist wrenching, flinch starting load, I DON'T! I enjoy shooting and want to keep it that way.

It has really been great to hear you dispel some of the prevailing myths about bullets relative to Hog hunting from a guy and his sons that have been there seen it and done it on a continuing basis!
This information can definitely be extrapolated to include deer and black bear, witch probably equates to 90% of the large game hunting in the lower 48.

johnmerry
05-16-2010, 12:15 PM
johnmerry, I would be very intrested in the dope on how much Unique you were using to get this result plus the rest of your recipe, alloy and anything else relivant to your load . Was thinking of switching to Unique and now I am hesitant. John

after the gun blew up I did quite a bit of research on the net and the load I used was a basic load. Here is the load I was firing.
1. 8.0 gr of Unigue
2. 270 gr keith cast from WW alloy using LBT mold bullets water quenched
3. bullet seated to crimp groove
4 CCi 350 LPM primers
5. starline brass cleaned in media shaker after every firing
I had fired a 3600 of these loads through the gun and my rugers with no failures the round fired through the gun before the blow up caused the case to stick in the chamber which we had to pound out. I beleive this is where the failure started. But I have been shooting this load for years with no problems. The gun simply failed.

johnmerry
05-16-2010, 12:44 PM
You'll likely NEVER recover any Keith or similar cast design at 900 fps or higher
from a .44 or .45 if it weighs 240 or more. They just sail on thru.

I, too, would like to know how much Unique blew up the Uberti. My initial bet is
a double charge -- VERY easy to do with the giant cases of the .44s and .45s.

Bill

There was no double charge there was three people watching when the gun blewup they said it sound no louder the the round before it I load and the Lee classic turret pres which makes it pretty hard to double charge a case I also went home that night and took apart the other cartridges loaded in that session the bullets were right the charges were right. I havde also fired 16 gr of Unique in my Custom build 5 shot Ruger Bislety chambers in the 45 LC recoil is pretty stiff but the round that blew the gun had no heavy recoil. The heaviest load I shoot is 325 gr Keith with a gc at 1500 fps out of my 5 shot Bisley with a 4 5/8 barrel this load kicks I have measured the frame and cylinder nothing has bulged of streched. The Uberti failed to take a consistent diet of light loads. The gun failed.

johnmerry
05-16-2010, 12:48 PM
No experience with hogs vs. 45 here, but I have had good luck with the Lee C452-300-FP over 8 grains Unique in my BH and Winny 45. Now that is a WIDE meplat and very accurate in both guns. Like I said, no tests on porcine targets, but cats sure don't like 'em.:violin:

I shoot a keith style bullet out of a LBT mold meplat is 350 wieght is 325 you are right about cats not liking the wide meplats. I caught my neighbors house cat taking a **** on my fire wood pile; and she sure did not like it!

johnmerry
05-16-2010, 01:06 PM
;)
I just had to come back to this post and thank you for being a honest man, sometimes one hears so much BS it makes one doubt the reality of what you have seen and know to be true. You start to doubt yourself even with reality staring you in the face because a lot of self proclaimed experts with semi written credentials keep blasting one with the same ****.
I do realize that heavy for caliber bullets are more accurate than the lighter weights (within reason)simply because they are longer with more bearing surface relative to velocity. However how much accuracy are we talking about? Me thinks very little.
If I loose a couple inches at 100 yards because my bullets weigh 250 to 280grs vs a 300gr PLUS bullet that won't differ in penetration on basically anything in the USA (Through and through is what it says) then why would I want a wrist wrenching, flinch starting load, I DON'T! I enjoy shooting and want to keep it that way.

It has really been great to hear you dispel some of the prevailing myths about bullets relative to Hog hunting from a guy and his sons that have been there seen it and done it on a continuing basis!
This information can definitely be extrapolated to include deer and black bear, witch probably equates to 90% of the large game hunting in the lower 48.

You are right I like the heavy 325 keiths beacuace they balance so way. but a bullet that heavy at a lowly 900 fps will pass through a lot of muscle and bone before it stops. It will also cause little deformation to the bullet. btu for the time being I do not mind the heavy kicking loads. Makes me feel like a real man and fuels my sense of masculinity

Changeling
05-16-2010, 05:13 PM
;)

You are right I like the heavy 325 keiths beacuace they balance so way. but a bullet that heavy at a lowly 900 fps will pass through a lot of muscle and bone before it stops. It will also cause little deformation to the bullet. btu for the time being I do not mind the heavy kicking loads. Makes me feel like a real man and fuels my sense of masculinity

I rather have low punishing loads that will get the job done just as well if not better due the higher degree of accuracy. Getting beat **** less is not my idea of fun when it is totally not necessary. Have a nice day.

johnmerry
05-16-2010, 08:34 PM
I rather have low punishing loads that will get the job done just as well if not better due the higher degree of accuracy. Getting beat **** less is not my idea of fun when it is totally not necessary. Have a nice day.

my favorite load is the 325gr Keith at 1200 fps out of 4 5/8 barrel. This is heavy recoil but in the Ruger Bisley it is very comfortable and highly accurate and will penetrate right on through next weekend. Deer do not go more then ten yards.

lonewelder
06-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Watched my dad shoot a 60 pounder or so with a SA colt.8gr uni. and a 250rnfp.Ended in dead pig.Thru n thru.I haven't hunted them with a pistol but,i have shot a few in the trap with a .22 behind the ear

Changeling
06-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Watched my dad shoot a 60 pounder or so with a SA colt.8gr uni. and a 250rnfp.Ended in dead pig.Thru n thru.I haven't hunted them with a pistol but,i have shot a few in the trap with a .22 behind the ear

Good point!