PDA

View Full Version : C457-500-F or 457-450-F in Marlin for elk?

CAC
07-24-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm getting into casting my own bullets with the intention of using them for elk and moose hunting. I guess I have several questions. Will theses cycle through the marlin? I hear that the Lee cast under sized. I'm planning on using Lyman #2 alloy so I am assuming that may help increase the size a bit. I will be using alox as a lube. I am planning to load these up fairly stout if possible.

I would like to use the lee as they are cheap and I could get some practice casting before I get the Ranch Dog 425gr mold. If none of these are a good choice that's cool I'll just use my round I'm loading now and wait for Ranch Dogs mold.

Thanks for any input you can give.

Chris

waksupi
07-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Chris, pretty much anything you shoot from the .45-70, is going to work on elk. Keep it over 350 grains, and as long as it will feed smoothly, you are good to go. Keep us posted on your progress.

CAC
07-25-2006, 12:07 AM
I guess thats the big question, will it feed ok. Kinda put the breaks on if they don't. I've searched through the old post for info on these two and haven't found anything yet.

Dutch4122
07-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Will theses cycle through the marlin?
Chris

I think that you would have to seat them too deep in order to get them to cycle through a Marlin 1895. Not sure you could get a reliable crimp on the nose of either boolit when seated that deep. Not to mention possible unsafe increases in pressure????

Waiting for that Ranch Dog 425 grn mold is your best bet. You might try casting some up from either mold and assembling a dummy cartridge to see what COL would chamber, although I doubt it would feed from the magazine. However, you could shoot it as a single shot til the Ranch Dog mold arrives.

I shoot the Lee C457-500-FN in my H&R .450 Marlin Ultra Rifle and the gun really likes this boolit, but COL is not an issue for a single shot like it is for a lever action.

Hope this helps,

ebner glocken
07-25-2006, 10:54 AM
I've tried the C457-500-FN through my 1895CB. Everytime I get it seated far enough down the pressures spike. If anyone has used this bullet with any luck in the 1895s feel free to let me know how.

35remington
07-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Yes, the Lee moulds will cast undersize and Lyman #2 equivalent won't help you. I used linotype in mine and barely got to .458", which is too small. If you send 25 dollars to Lee they will select a mould that casts to a large diameter. I would suggest at least .460" out of wheelweights or equivalent soft alloy as your guideline-Marlins like their bullets on the large side, usually. Actually, nearly all .45-70's would profit if their bullets cast to this diameter. Their 405 plainbase would be the best choice for a Marlin, better than the moulds you are contemplating if you can obtain one in larger diameter. Your best bet if you want a sufficiently large diameter bullet off the shelf is their 405 grain hollowbase. Neither this bullet nor the 405 plainbase has the velocity potential of a gascheck bullet, but how much speed do you need with a bullet this big?

Max OAL for the Marlin is 2.57", which requires deep seating of the 450-500 grain bullets, and neither has a gascheck. Neither has a crimp groove in the proper location for a Marlin. I'd also second Dutch's suggestion of waiting for the Ranch Dog mould in 425 grains. Should be an elk bullet supreme.

CAC
07-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks everyone for all the helpful information. I guess the best thing to do is exercise some patience and wait for the RD mold to come.
Cheers,

Chris

NickSS
07-26-2006, 02:03 PM
I load for three Marlin 45-70 rifles and found that best results is to be had with bullets that weigh between 300 and 405. I have a plain base 405 flat poing lee mold that works quite well. I have used it on elk with a charge of 43 gr of IMR 3031 in my Marlin 95 to hunt elk and it did the job qite nicely and was accurate to boot. The bullet was shot unsized and pan lubed with nothing in the case but the powder. This is not a max load but the elk never knew the difference.

DEVERS454
08-17-2006, 12:41 AM
What size bullet do you 45-70 marlin owners use? I see that marlin only sells ballard cut groved barrels these days for the 45-70 and other large caliber rifles.

Comments are always appreciated.

GooseGestapo
08-22-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm having excellent success with the LEE .459-405 HollowBase cast from W/W and lubed with SPG, sized to .459" (Comes from mould at 0.461"+).

I'm getting outstanding accuracy at 1,500fps, and am working it towards 1,700fps.

This bullet is OK in my rifle crimped in front of the driving band for 2.560", but shoots just as well seated to 2.52" and lightly crimped into the driving band, like I do .38 wadcutters. May prevent an untimely jam deeper seated.

At going price of about $18.00, you can't go wrong trying this one. It should have about the best high velocity potential of any non-gas checked bullet as the lube grooves are numerous and generous in proportion.

Both my 340gr and 405hpfn cast .4585-.459", and are "OK" sized to .459", but just don't hold enough lube (either 50-50alox, or SPG) to be good for much over 1,450fps.