PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Flintlock Tale of Woe

Maven
05-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Last week I won a "custom made" (according to the seller) .58cal. flintlock trade gun.* It was delivered today, but I was in for an unpleasant surprise when I opened the box. The stock was broken in two at the wrist. In fact, the only thing holding it in place was the trigger guard. Lucky for me the UPS guy was still in the area, so I flagged him down to tell him about the problem, which was not in evidence in the photos the seller posted. The UPS guy told me to put the gun back in the box and hand it to him, which I did. UPS and/or the seller now need to refund my $$$. What a bummer! Btw, I don't think the damage was entirely UPS' fault as the box wasn't as robust as it should have been.**

*The gun, with the exception of the "unpleasant surprise," seemed to be as described, but it wasn't in my possession for more than 5 minutes, if that.

**When I've sold and shipped long guns, I used both a a purpose-made box + an outer sleeve (These ain't cheap!)and have never had a complaint.

Swampman
05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
An inexpensive plastic hard case and an outer cardboard box works well.

Maven
05-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Apparently the seller was unaware of that option!

Hanshi
05-05-2010, 09:42 AM
On those occasions when I've sold and shipped guns I've always reinforced the cardboard box with wood. It may be a situation of "over engineering" but there's never been a complaint and even some positive and surprised "WOW" feedback.

I did take delivery once of a custom ordered gun only to find the hammer (flint lock) broken off and rattling around in the box. I know it wasn't shipped that way and the box was perfect and undamaged. The only explanation I can come up with is that there was a mfg defect in the hammer screw that slipped by. The builder was notified and the problem remedied very quickly. Good people are good people.