PDA

View Full Version : lube grooves - 2 (or more) vs 1

Billwnr
05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm shooting .38/.357 and notice that my moulds vary in lube grooves. I personally consider the Keith style single groove much easier to lube as I can plug the sizing die holes down to just the ones I want. The single groove appears to hold more lube than the 2 groove design.

Is there any advantage of one over the other... or is it just style?

I'm looking for a good excuse to go to the Keith style bullets.

I should also mention I'm a "plinker" and not a target shooter. Good test groups are nice to look at but I'd also like performance on varmints, provided I'm accurate enough to hit them.

Billwnr
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Must be style which is a good answer.

NuJudge
05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I've always felt that multiple lube grooves made the instance of defects in the casting more likely.

CDD

fecmech
05-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I have been using the 358429 for about 40 years now and it's always been an accurate dependable .357 bullet. I like single groove bullets from the standpoint of simplicity in sizing and lubing in the Star. I wish the NOE 180 GB had been 1 lube groove like the Saeco design but "Oh well". I have never had any leading problems with any of my single groove designs in the .357 and I currently have 5 that I use. Hell on my wadcutter I only lube one groove, I learned years back with a machine rest any more lube than that and accuracy went south! Go for it, you need more molds !

Billwnr
05-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I have two WC moulds, an LBT 180 WFN with 2 lube grooves (accurate mould) and the 477 and 429 Keith style moulds. I like the look of the Keith's and the ease of lubing. Have only used them for plinking for years now and not tested for accuracy yet.