PDA

View Full Version : Lead bullets

Andy Mac
05-03-2010, 10:14 AM
I have found that if i cast bullets a week or two before i use them they shoot very well,but i was wondering is accuracy affected as the bullets get older.

runnin lead
05-03-2010, 10:33 AM
That varies with different alloys,it also can change if with a particular alloy if they were air cooled , water quenched or heattreated or a combination

Don McDowell
05-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I doesn't really seem to matter how long the bullets have been cast. But what will matter is how long have they been lubed? and how did the lube hold up?
I have shot some real good groups with bp ammo that has been loaded for over a year.

NickSS
05-03-2010, 01:02 PM
I have found that once loaded the lube holds up well but if it is placed on the bullets and let sit for extended periods of time before loading my accuracy suffers. Also important is a complete fill of the lube grooves and void and accuracy suffers especially with black powder. So I tend to lube my bullets either the day I load them or the night before. I have left ammo loaded up to three years without a problem accuracy wise but I cover all my lube grooves within the case if you load them with the lube exposed you may have some issues.

454PB
05-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Lubed boolits: the passing of time has no ill effects, but storage methods can. Keep them covered and cool and they are good for 20 years or more. Let them get dirty or too warm and the lube breaks down and gets contaminated.

Loaded ammo: I've noticed a much higher incidence of case neck and/or mouth splits if stored for a long time.