PDA

View Full Version : M39

JSH
05-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Shot the M39 just a bit today. Windage was off 5" t 50. I didn't have a screw driver to fit the front sight screws, so i just stopped. I will run a few more through later this week. Sight already had a bit of "L" in it. I fidlled with it a bit when I got home and now one of the screws is a bit proud of the front guard. I understand how the windage works, but how much is to much on the M39. Wondering if there is somthing else I can do other than the sights if i need much more.
jeff

3006guns
05-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Yes, there is......

My 27/28 was shooting a good 1' to the right. I looked at the front sight and it was drifted over as far as it would go. I returned home and examined the entire rifle and discovered the forestock wood was warped, putting tremendous pressure on one side of the barrel. Check yours.

I haven't made repairs yet, but I think I'll try wetting/warping the wood back into alignment first. If that doesn't work I'll have no choice but to carve some relief in the barrel channel.

I have a feeling some of these guns either weren't stored properly, or perhaps the wood's natural tendancy to twist might be the problem.

JSH
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
I had it apart and cleaned it. Everything looked good to me other than the very end of the stock and handguard. It is a bit snug. I had read somthing some where on the M39's as to accurizing them. I was thinkingit would respond like the K31 by opening the front of the handguard and stock?
I will keep looking and see if i can find that source.
jeff

StarMetal
05-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I found on my M39 accuracy had lots to do with that hinged front nose band. It can be tightened to clamp all the way and that way wasn't good on my rifle. I found the sweet spot and made a brass bushing out of cartridge head it drills holes now as I have a scope on it. I'm shooting a stiff load of 4350 and the 314299 sized to .313.

JSH
05-07-2010, 08:01 AM
I pulled the handguard off and did a little looking/checking. Shot it with the same loads last night and fiddled with the windage. It is looking pretty good so far. Groups are not bug holes or clover leafs. They are grouping into a group that I am happy with and NO flyers as I have gotten from some other rifles. Groups at 50Y this past PM, were 1 1/2-2". I went to 100y and groped about 2-2 1/2", fiddled with windage until I ran out of ammo.
I am very pleased with the M39. Just need to get a bit larger bullet and or try a .314.
jeff