PDA

View Full Version : Teflon Tape

Hickory
05-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Is this method of "Paper" patching any good?
Does it work?

pdawg_shooter
05-03-2010, 07:57 AM
In a word...NO. T tried it years ago and ended up with leading, strings of teflon tape everywhere, and zero accuracy. Maybe I just did it wrong, bit I will stay with paper. Works great!

303Guy
05-05-2010, 02:33 AM
Hickory, I think many of us have thought about it and some of us have tried it. I tried it over 25 years ago and I kinda tecall having a similar outcome to pdawg_shooter. I'm pretty confident at this time that it won't work. For starters, 'teflon tape' isn't really teflon. It's got teflon in it, that's about all [citation required].

However, there must be some plastic material out there that would make an ideal jacket for a lead core boolit![smilie=1: After all, sabot's work.

NickSS
05-05-2010, 05:22 AM
I have tried it in a loose bored Enfield on some Lee GC bullets. I wrapped a couple of turns of tape in the direction rotation. I then applied heat with a lighter to shrink the tape. Oh I left a little extra tape beyond the base of the bullet. Once this was done I put a GC on the base with a .315" sizing die. It worked when I shot them in my rifle and gave acceptable accuracy (about 3 inches at 100 yards. I got no leading or teflon left in my bore. I only tried it once as it was a lot of work and there are easier ways to get there.

303Guy
05-05-2010, 05:38 AM
Wow! That's interesting, NickSS.

So now I have to retract my 'certainty' that it won't work. Dang! That's the first time I ever said it won't work!:mrgreen:

Might I ask what the loading details were?

Hickory
05-05-2010, 06:32 AM
NickSS,
I'm glad I asked, I'll try your method and see what happens.[smilie=2:

smokemjoe
05-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Try masking tape ,50-50 it will not work also.

pdawg_shooter
05-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Try masking tape ,50-50 it will not work also.

The patch needs to completely come off the bullet at the muzzle, or NO accuracy.

NSP64
05-06-2010, 08:18 AM
The patch needs to completely come off the bullet at the muzzle, or NO accuracy.

Or stay on completely.

RBak
05-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Tried it back in the late 1970's / early 1980's with a Muzleloader and a bullet. It may have been a Lee REAL, but for some reason I don't think it was. Can't remember for sure what bullet it was but it was a solid minie of sorts.

Seems it was "the rage" throughout the Southwest at the time. The guys in El Paso, Las Cruces, and Deming NM were all bragging about how good it performed, and how good it shot.
Supposedly the velocity was much higher and that made for a fair antelope muzzleloader.
I don't recall any of us having a chronograph at the time so I don't exactly know how this conclusion came about.

The wrap stayed on, and there was no real loss of accuracy that I could tell.
However, it was a pain and very time consuming to wrap the bullet correctly with just the right amount of tension on the tape, otherwise you would get leading....I do recall the wrap being lubed with a thin vaseline / bees wax combination that is the same as I use today

And, on top of all this, it seems that "some" guns could shoot it fairly well while others couldn't. I always thought the rifling cut had everything to do with this, but the telfon fad in muzzleloaders didn't stay in vogue long enough for me to make any real determination.

I wish I had a better answer to the question, but the only answer I can come up with is you might be able to make it work, but paper does work and it works quite well, so why reinvent the wheel? Stick with something proven.

Russ...

303Guy
05-06-2010, 01:37 PM
... why reinvent the wheel?It's about experimenting and just knowing if it works.:mrgreen:

pdawg_shooter
05-06-2010, 02:35 PM
I wish I had a better answer to the question, but the only answer I can come up with is you might be able to make it work, but paper does work and it works quite well, so why reinvent the wheel? Stick with something proven.

Russ...

+1 Russ. Paper still hasent been beat.

Multigunner
05-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Would a teflon based oil like Remoil soaked into parchment paper and allowed to set be a useful idea?

HABCAN
05-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Hickory, years ago I tried 'teflon' plumber's joint tape on NEI 700 gr. boolits for Sharps .50-140........took about a week of many cleanings to get the damned stuff outta the bore. Stick with paper as our more knowledgeable guys advise. That said, all here would be interested in your test results. 'Goferit if'n you've a mind to.'

303Guy
05-07-2010, 01:20 AM
... 'teflon' plumber's joint tape ... ... took about a week of many cleanings to get the damned stuff outta the bore.That figures. Like I said, teflon tape isn't really teflon. But some teflon tapes have more teflon in them (and are more expensive).

Would a teflon based oil like Remoil soaked into parchment paper and allowed to set be a useful idea? That sounds interesting. It would be real nice if someone would do trials. A chronograph would show up some differences quite quickly. Likewise with teflon tape patches versus paper patches and plain lubed boolits.

.22-10-45
05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Hello, Hickory, I have tried teflon tape patched bullets in the .22 Hornet and .222 Rem. Some groups would equal the best match-grade jacketed bullet loads at 100yds...3/8 to 7/16"!
BUT, in shooting, once in awhile you would get a flier, if you ignored it and shot again, you got a barrel full of lead. After one such flier,I ran a dry patch thru and got a VERY tiny speck of lead on patch, this was tearing patch of next bullet. Sometimes I even got leading without any fliers..this I believe was a powder grain tearing patch. For this reason I gave up on Teflon as patching material. In a match it could cost you points, in the field, where no warning such as a target could tell you of a flier, a bore full of lead would end the hunt.

leftiye
05-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I used to use Triflow and Rem oil to lube the bore of my blackpowder guns. I applied it with a patch after the boolit was seated. I can tell you that this works very well. In a patch it most likely wouldn't dry, and might well ruin the patch making it fall off maybe. However, if the patch stayed together - it might be fantastic - though I'm just guessing.

goofyoldfart
05-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Ok, here we go. I never tried it in a Muzzle loader, but did try it in a 30-06, O3A3. 180gr boolit rn. I don't remember the load or exact bullet as I didn't keep good records back then. I do remember i sized .0002" over @.310-.3105 and used NRA Alox to fill the grooves then wrapped 3 wraps (tight) around all then resized in a .311 sizer. Loaded and shot. was getting between .80-1.15" at a 100 yrds. over a Chrono it was 2700fps +- 65. also remember that it was military LC brass reloaded. this was about 30-35 years ago.:lovebooli

ETA: the rifle was (and is) an underwood, 4 groove rifling and pretty worn. I thought that was good grouping for it at that time. be lucky to get that now--eyes are 65 years old and tired. thought about scoping but ain't gonna do it to the old lady O3. Would be a sin in my eyes now.

tom threepersons
05-25-2010, 12:11 PM
I tried it back in the 1970s. It worked well in a 45-70 Sharps. I cast WWs and wrapped the bullet with teflon tape. The bullet was then run thru the sizeing die. The die will compress the Teflon tape to a form fit. The finished product will look like the tape is painted on the slug. Like with other bullet patches you will need to trim off the extra tape. The tape remained on the slug in flight. The tape did not cause any accuracy problems. I don't recall any leading or cleaning problems. The cleaners made for removing plastic wad residue from shotguns should clean the bore if it becomes a problem. Tom Threepersons.