PDA

View Full Version : 45 Long Colt Question?

Bushrod
05-03-2010, 03:46 AM
I have an old Colt 45 (1906), Bullets for it should be .454 diameter. I was wondering if it is possible to seat a .454 improved minnie ball (Lee .454-298m) in the 45lc cartridge with final results being accurate. It would basicly be a hollow base bullet properly lubed and sized. would welcome your opinions. Bushrod

RayinNH
05-03-2010, 08:39 AM
While it is probably possible, I'm not sure I'd shoot a bullet that heavy out of a 1906 Colt. If it was a Ruger then that would be different...Ray

Calamity Jake
05-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I have an old Colt 45 (1906), Bullets for it should be .454 diameter. I was wondering if it is possible to seat a .454 improved minnie ball (Lee .454-298m) in the 45lc cartridge with final results being accurate. It would basicly be a hollow base bullet properly lubed and sized. would welcome your opinions. Bushrod

First thing I would do is slug the barrel, that old colt may be .454 or something else, slug the cylinder throats too. If everything is good for size then try your 298M with 3gr Trailboss, 4gr Red Dot or Unique.
Them Colts have short cylinders so watch OAL.

cajun shooter
05-03-2010, 10:19 AM
If it is indeed a Colt that was made in 1906 then it is one of modern steel and not the BP frame. I would have the gun checked out by a good smith who knows Colts. If you have some armorer experience then you can check the timing, end shake, push off and range rod of cylinders to get a fair idea of general condition. I would keep my shooting to ammo of that time period specifications. It would be a shame to mess up such a nice gun much less the shooter. The old Colts were known to have measurements all over the place. I would follow the advise of CJ also and check all dimensions.