07-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Is it safe to dry fire a 1911?

ANeat
07-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Yes

Adam

waksupi
07-24-2006, 07:19 PM
As long as you aren't a real klutz. Just don't stick your tounge in front of the hammer, and it should be OK. Won't hurt the pistol, at all.

versifier
07-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Thanks. I'm new to 1911's and didn't want to learn more by having to replace a broken firing pin. [smilie=1:

BruceB
07-25-2006, 01:36 AM
To add a little target-"shooting" spice to the dry-firing regimen, try this:

Tape a clean piece of light cardboard to the wall at eye level, and make a small, round "aiming mark"...about 3/8" diameter should do to start, and adjust the size to suit yourself after some experience. I make the mark "fuzzy" around the edge to resemble the appearance of a regular target on the range when focusing properly on the sights.

Put a very sharp point on a new standard lead pencil WITH RUBBER ERASER. The pencil has to be longer than the barrel, which is why I specify a new pencil.
Drop the pencil into the barrel of the cocked pistol, eraser first (point outside the muzzle).

Standing in shooting position with the extended gun (and its pencil) just an inch or so shy of touching the target, take aim at the mark and fire a "shot". The pencil will make a small but clear mark on the target paper when it strikes. The aim of the game is to make the smallest-possible "groups" of pencil marks on the target. This requires the same attention to sight alignment and trigger control as does live-firing. 'Shooting' small groups is quite challenging, I assure you!

The procedure works with almost any center-fire handgun, and is much more interesting than just squeezing-off dry "rounds" at a wall. I've only done this with iron sights, because I own no handguns without irons. It will not harm the gun, and in fact might be easier on it than normal dry-firing due to the cushioning effect of impacting the rubber eraser.

The pencil-in-the-bore is also a reliable and quick test to see if the firing mechanism is functional, without having to fire the gun. Point the gun and pencil up in the air, and the firing-pin impact will hurl the pencil a surprising distance IF it's working correctly.

Baldy
07-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Bin around guns a long time and never heard that one. I got to give it a try. There is a old test like that they use for 45's to see if the firing pin is broke. You just don't use a target. If it works and works more than once, you know one thing for sure, the firing pin is OK. It will not hurt your gun to dry fire it Versifier. Put a drop of oil on the breech.

Bucks Owin
07-25-2006, 10:33 AM
I'll be darned....

I'll check that out too!

Dennis :Fire:

44man
07-25-2006, 10:55 AM
One gun that should never be dry fired are the Marlin lever guns. I have broken a firing pin with ONE accidental trigger pull.

StarMetal
07-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks. I'm new to 1911's and didn't want to learn more by having to replace a broken firing pin. [smilie=1:

Either with the slide off the frame or locked back on the frame: push in the firing that protrudes through the back in the hammer slot. While you have it pushed in, push down on the firing pin slide stop(that's the little plate with the hole in it that the firing pin protrudes through). Then release you little pin that you depressed the firing pin with so you can remove the stop. Viola ! You can now pull the firing pin out. Just reverse putting it back in. Note on the spring fits the firing pin and make sure you put it back on the new one the same way or the old one if you are just taking it apart for cleaning. Sometimes the firing pin stop is a tight fit and also sometimes you may have to align the slot in the extractor rearend. This all takes about 30 seconds to do. No big deal.

Joe

redneckdan
07-25-2006, 06:53 PM
I have heard of firing pin stops breaking but no because of dry firing, just from normal use. That hammer has a lot of energy repeatedly hittin that stop.

StarMetal
07-25-2006, 07:34 PM
The slide blasts the firing pin stop into the hammer more violently then the hammer hits it. The hammer is cushioned somewhat by the firing pin and it's spring.

Joe

redneckdan
07-25-2006, 07:52 PM
true.

waksupi
07-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Also consider, if you SHOULD break a 1911 firing pin, it is a VERY easy fix.

Lee
07-26-2006, 12:46 AM
waksupi, yes it is an extrtemely easy fix.
1. You replace the broken firing pin.
2. You take an empty pistol rug out, show it (closed of course) to the "Woolly Mammouth" or other significant other, all the while announcing in a loud voice; "Honey, I'm gonna go sell or trade this old iron. I'll be back shortly.
3. Go buy a new toy. You can get in the door safely. Don't hafta start dodgin' the "Woolly Mammouth" dung until the bills come due[smilie=1:

Sorry I couldn't resist............................................ ............Lee:)