PDA

View Full Version : Need to know something

Fly
05-02-2010, 05:53 PM
What's the trick of pressing a paper jacket bullet into the brass?Do you bell mouth the case some, as to not
tear the paper? :swagemine:

docone31
05-02-2010, 06:01 PM
You gotta bell the case. It is frustrating if you do not.

Nobade
05-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Yep, Lyman M dies or at least the Lee universal expander die is your friend.

303Guy
05-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Yup. Slight bellmouthing is a must but so is getting the right amount of neck tension. Too much and you're doomed. Just enough to be able to press the boolit by hand but extract it with more effort than pressing it in is about minimum and probably too little for magazine feeding. The boolit should be held firm enough to chamber with some rifling leade resistance yet extract without moving in the case. It is a little tricky but not really difficult. A boolit fat enough to be firmly hand pressed into an unsized case neck is pretty good, I think.

Fly, I like your questions. You're on to it. I do believe I am going to learn a lot from you!:drinks:

pdawg_shooter
05-03-2010, 07:59 AM
In my non-hunting loads I bell the case mouth on un-sized brass and start the bullet in about 1/4 inch by hand. I let the rifle finish seating the bullet. Get my best accuracy that way.

redneckdan
05-03-2010, 10:37 AM
If you don't have a flairing die you an use a pair of needle nose pliars. Just use the outside taper of the jaws just like you would use a deburing tool inside a case mouth.

Fly
05-04-2010, 11:50 AM
303Guy your a good dude.I learned a long.long time ago we all learn from each other.I
will never understand the people that post just trying to impress the rest with all they
know.

Helping people is one thing but to ague is another.Your a helper & a dam good guy from
what I can see.You are also a guy that has a ton of knowledge but is also one that it's
not beneath him to ask a question.

That a great thing that you have that in you.I never met a man in my life I could not learn from.I do hope some day I can return the favor of teaching you something, for you sure
have been a good teacher for me.
God Bless you my Friend

303Guy
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Thank you for your kind words!:drinks:

cheese1566
05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Same goes to docone31 for me! He has been my PP mentor and teacher behind the scenes for the last few months.

Thanks to both of you guys and everyone else for teaching this lost art![smilie=p:

I get funny looks from others (many long time shooters) about my quest and haven't even fired a shot off yet!

docone31
05-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, by all means, shoot that puppy!
Worse that will happen is you will miss as much as I did when I first started.
Go for it.
Then watch as they look at your loads at the range.

Fly
05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I told my wife the other day.I have learned more in the last few weeks on reloading,
casting & so on with this hobby, then some ever knew threw there entire life, before
there was a net.

Did you guy's ever stop & think about that?Who would have ever thought 25 years back
I would be talking to some guy from New Zealand on how to paper jacket a boolit?

303Guy
05-05-2010, 02:13 AM
... before there was a net.

Did you guy's ever stop & think about that?Yes indeed, I have thought about that! I also started out 25years ago - more actually. I heard about paper patching but didn't try it then due to the absence of an internet forum!

docone31 coatched me through my early days too! Others too.:drinks:

I just had to try out some of the things I was told won't work and found out for myself. Just had to.[smilie=1: It was fun!:mrgreen: I got to understand just why some things don't work.

And then work interfered with my testing!:groner:
So now I make little progress but I'm real keen on seeing the progress of others and promoting (or trying to, anyway) what I find to be a fun and satisfying branch of shooting. It is quite challenging!:roll:

Then there's the aspect of 'meeting' a bunch of great folks on the net with a common interest (not to mention heaps of knowledge and ideas to share!) And as Fly says - from the other side of the planet! It's great!:drinks:

rhbrink
05-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Just want to say thanks to 303 Guy and docone31 also. They have been a big help getting me started, I haven't had much success yet thinking I might be fighting a up hill battle with the choice of rifle that I am using but I'm working on it. Little-bitty steps learn as you go. Thanks again guys!

Richard