PDA

View Full Version : A hot plate & a lee six banger

reloaders4you
05-01-2010, 06:02 PM
I POSTED A QUESTION A FEW WEEKS BACK
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81902

AFTER BUMPING THE LEAD(WW) TEMP TO 750* ONLY 2-3 CAVITYS WERE NOT FILING OUT. SO I AM GOING THE HOT PLATE ROUTE. SO MY QUESTION IS, WHAT IS THE PROPER USE OF THE HOT PLATE? IS IT USED TO JUST HEAT UP THE MOLD, KEEP IT HOT, ECT..... ALL INFO AS USUAL, IS APPRECIATED.

HeavyMetal
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
My use of a hot plate, the $9.99 Wal Gren's unit with exposed coil, is to keep the mold, particularly the sprue plate, hot while casting.

I run mine just a hair under medium.

I use two 6 bangers in tandem. so one is on the hot plate while I pour the other.

I took a steel plate and welded two pieces of square steel to it just wide enough apart the the handles fit between them when I set the mold on the side ways.

This puts the edge of the sprue plate in contact with the steel "skids" and allows direct transfer of heat to the sprue plate rather than making the heat "climb" up the mold blocks.

My set up is not one that I would market but if you want a cell phone pic of what I use sent to you PM with an e mail addy and I'll get r done for ya!

340six
05-02-2010, 10:58 AM
The only 4 banger mould I have is an old Ideal steel{Lyman 45acp} so not smaller size bullets.
I tried the hot plate to get it hot, but just leaving it in the pot slightly resting in the lead worked best.
Also pouring 1 cavity then 2 then 3 then dfinally the 4th worked best

reloaders4you
05-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys, after church this morning it's off to Wallgreens to pick up the hotplate. Wish me luck:D

reloaders4you
05-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Went to the Wallgreens by the house. Got the LAST hot plate they had. As a bonus, it was on sale for $7.99:bigsmyl2: I will be putting it into action within the hour!!!!!:D