PDA

View Full Version : Pan lubing

.401 POWERMAG
05-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Tried my hand at pan lubing a Tumble Lube boolit. Didn't work too well :neutral:. Now I am having trouble getting a standard Boolit to hold lube in the grooves. I can't get it to stay in the rings. I have increased the amount of grease but that hasn't worked. My recipe came off YouTube from Patstuff. The recipe is 1lb. bee's wax 1lb. vaseline 1lb parafin wax 1tbs STP oil treatment & two crayons. Anyone have a suggestion on what I might adjust to get the lube to stay in grooves after it sets?

Calamity Jake
05-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Pouring hot lube around cold boolits usually doesn't work very good.
The boolits need to be heated enough to let the lube run into the grooves.
Now that you have pulled the boolits from your first attempt put them back in the holes they came out of then heat the pan, lube and boolits all together, heat it slowly so you won't scorch the lube.
By the time the lube is melted the boolits will be hot enough to allow lube in the grooves, remove from the heat and let cool. You can put the pan in the fridge(it it doesn't offend the wife) to speed up the cooling.

swallytrip
05-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I also tried all those recipie from youtube but soon was having problems just like you. Not being one to like to spend a lot of time fiddeling with things i broke down and bought my first bottle of liquid Alox from LEE. To my suprise it worked beautifully on all my boolits even the ones with the bigger single lube grooves. I loades up about 50 and headed to the range shot around 40 of them and the barrle seemed just as clean as when i started. Just a shade of lead near the start of the barrell.
4" Ruger GP100 and 158gr water dropped WW:drinks: