PDA

View Full Version : Piggy Story

Potsy
05-01-2010, 03:53 PM
I never have been able to pop a hog until last week.
Shot one at about 30 feet with my 7mm Mauser with 175 Hornady RN J-Bullets. Due to a lack of light, I hit it right in the middle. Bullet made a huge hole going in and a smaller exit (I thought that was strange, but it did it's job, considering where I hit it).
We followed it up, found it, I was about to finish it with my pistol when the guy we were with gave it a kick (to see if it was just "nerves"). The piggy got up quite irate.
I managed to hit it with 3 out of four with my Bisley .45 Colt (452424, 21 grn 2400)
first broke its leg, second spined it far back, third was a neck shot that put it down.
Turned out to be about a 125lb sow.
Another buddy shot one with his .45-70 guide gun with Leverrevolutions(?) first shot missed, second shot went behind the shoulder, third broke its rear leg and went on to gut it (literally), then it turned toward him and he shot it in the head.
About a 150 lb sow.
GOOD LORD those things are hard to kill when you don't do it right the first time!!!!!!!

gon2shoot
05-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes, yes they are. :holysheep
BTW, I'm not sure I'd have told that story. ;-)

Potsy
05-01-2010, 04:32 PM
It wasn't a real good shooting demonstration.
My buddy with the guide gun hit one earlier in the week we couldn't find. I've seen him shoot, he can, we suspect there may be a sighting issue.
My too-far-back rifle shot was not completely unintentional as it was quartering away, I still should have been about another 4-5 inches forward. I was aiming at a dark shape, close up, and couldn't see my crosshairs. I could, however, put the middle of my scope where I wanted it on the outline.

Probably shouldn't tell it, but we were in the dark. We did have permission and it was a depredation situation. Shooting stuff in very low light and having to be VERY aware of where there's livestock presents a lot of challenges.
I was kinda proud of my pistol shooting, it wasn't far (farthest was about 30 feet) but considering I couldn't see my sights and was just looking down the barrel in the dark at a moving and very upset pig, I was glad just to have hit the thing.

EMC45
05-01-2010, 06:27 PM
They are quite resilient!

WILCO
05-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure I'd have told that story.

I'm glad he did. Now I know not to kick them. :grin:

Drew_CarreyAB
05-02-2010, 12:50 AM
LOL, Ya, nerves, I bet his were on high when the sow freaked on him....I'd be irrate if I was at deaths door and someone kicks me too LOL ( Not a flame) But damn funny.......Good shooting.

Potsy
05-02-2010, 10:18 AM
It was pretty funny after it was over. I'm pretty sure he knew what could happen and considered it "fun" (remember, we were in Oklahoma with Oklahomans).

Mk42gunner
05-03-2010, 03:02 AM
Definitely better to be the shooter in that situation than to be either the kicker or the kickee...

Robert