PDA

View Full Version : New Lee Loadmaster Press

Alan in WI
05-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Well I have almost completed my setup on my Lee Loadmaster Press. Everything is working really smooth including the case feeder. Today I am going to setup the bullet feeder and it will be ready to rock & roll. If any of you guys who made the videos for the Loadmaster see this post, I would sure like to thank you. I couldn't have done it without all those wonderful videos to watch. If anyone is wondering what I am talking about here is a link to the videos:

http://loadmastervideos.com/

Thanks again and I know I am going to like this press!

Alan [smilie=s:

Jerry11826
05-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Noticed you didn't get any replies - well hang in there - just got rid of (I think) my last Dillon equipment. I sold it all for about three times as much as much as I paid for my two Loadmasters. The Loadmaster is better the my 450, 550 or SDB. For whatever reason many people just can't apprichiate the Loadmaster - Maybe its the price. If you pay for a lot more - you get a lot more. Well that is not always true!

Jerry

johnlaw484
05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Good luck with the Loadmaster. Mine has been a nightmare ever since I've had it. Lee has even given up on helping me get it running.
The main problem is the primer feed and shell plate advancing.
Yes I have seen the videos. And I am impressed with the way theirs work. MIne has NEVER worked that good, but I keep plugging away with it.

dragonrider
05-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I had a loadmaster for about six months and never got useable ammo from it. Junk. JMHO

Alan in WI
05-10-2010, 07:39 PM
I will admit that is a bit tricky to setup. I bought the bullet feeder and I was having problems with it. So, I took it off and repeated my setup and now it is working fine. With the case feeder and the bullet feeder it is just a matter of pulling the handle and getting a finished round. I am loading 45 ACP and I haven't tried other calibers yet. I may try 44 specials next.

Alan

DLCTEX
05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I leave mine set up for 45 ACP and it runs great. I recently had a case feeder problem that drove me crazy until I was tightening the nut that holds the case feeder in place and the loop the bolt goes through broke off. It appears that it was partially broken and was bent toward the case slider and hanging it. Works fine again now. Probably was damaged in the move from old reloading shed to new room.

daboone
05-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Well for you folks that hate your LM you might want to post them for sale at; http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

prs
05-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Good luck with the Loadmaster. Mine has been a nightmare ever since I've had it. Lee has even given up on helping me get it running.
Yes I have seen the videos. And I am impressed with the way theirs work. MIne has NEVER worked that good, but I keep plugging away with it.

Get a good pen light and inspect the casting of the carrier where the primer arm pivot pin passes through. If it cracks, the thing will drive you batty making adjustments that seem to last for a while, but then go sour again.

prs

shotman
05-11-2010, 12:57 AM
The major problem with the loadmaster is it was built by an engineer. It has many problems and all can be over come if you know some afro fixabilly. primer feed needs moly powder to keep it working , case feed needs OIL, bullet feeder needs trashed ,I fixed it with a hammer. It will not work with anything but lee dies and will not work at all with TL cast. Shell plate advance, OIL. mounting is a pain it was designed on a steel work table . Most reloader dont use a steel work top. bolts are too close to edge of top. Get the Lee adjustable powder measure trash the disc
I talked to Richard back when he first come out with it. I told him the problems then you see what engineers do , same as all do --nothing--. I designed it WILL work - BS. I have one of the first from the 80s still have it and use it. the case feed was a major problem If you use uncleaned brass it will last about 100 rounds and break. If you use clean brass it will last 1000 rounds and break. If you use OIL on the slide it will last 25000 and not break "bull plate is real good"
Bullet feed if you load small cal jacket ok larger cast -- dont buy
I have 10 + heads and the cal change is fast adjustable powder measure you set to go in 5 min
IT is NOT a rifle reloader, dont try it, it is not strong enough for full resizing, the supports are too far from the resizeing die. Neck sizer will work.
Also they are on feebay from time to time some cheap get a couple if you get the chance I have 3 that the "real reloaders" got rid of
One last note deprimer storage. take the slide off and trash it put a womans hose/stocking on the bottom you never think to empty it and that will break the primer feeder everytime

Cowboy T
05-20-2010, 10:39 PM
I use the LM's little brother, the Pro 1000. It's basically a 3-station, somewhat shorter Load-Master. The key to that primer system is keeping it clean. I strip and clean my press every 3,500 rounds or so, and I haven't yet had a part break. You can probably get a sustained 350-400 rounds/hour out of that kind of system without breaking anything. That's what my Pro 1000 does, anyway.

No sense in the bullet feeder, because you have to orient the bullets anyway, which takes time. I just seat them manually.

Anyone who hates your LM, PM me. Let's see what we can come to.

zuke
05-21-2010, 09:42 AM
I just got my Loadmaster up and running and love it.
Take the time to look-listen-learn and watch all the vid's on Youtube.
I set it up about 6 week's ago and do everything on it as ment to be done.
I use tumble lube so haven't even bought a bullet feeder.

Lloyd Smale
05-21-2010, 06:50 PM
tell us what you think after loading 10k rounds on it. Ill be looking forward to the review.

mleeber
05-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Wow, tough crowd! I had 3 LMs before I stumbled into a deal on a Dillon. The LM is a better press IMHO than the Dillon 550 if for no other reason than the auto index, tough to double charge when you take the human factor out. In any case, they all worked great once I learned the tricks and made up some of my own. The case feeder and collator worked great for me too. Ultimately sold them cause I load lots of 223 and 9mm and needed the ability to swage the primer pocket so the 1050 does a great job of that. However, the priming system on the 1050 is worse than the LM! When the 1050 priming system goes south it goes way south and you have to disassemble the whole press to clean up the mess, the LM is much easier to get back on track after a primer feed failure. The LM being about 1/8 the cost of a 1050 means you can have one for each type of primer and still have money for primers, bullets and brass too.

RobS
05-21-2010, 08:55 PM

If you haven't, check these links out:

http://loadmastervideos.com/

on the left go the "loadmastervideos forum" then go to the bottom of this page and clink into the link "loadmaster major fixes"

also

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=663

mroliver77
05-22-2010, 12:03 PM
I have a Pro 1000 and 2SD and 2 550 plus othe single stage and turret designs. The on thing all the progressives have in common is they need to stay clean! I keep an air hose handy when loading and dust machine off when refilling and ANYTIME there is a spillage or foreign material noticed. A rag with some solvent handy and used periodically helps too. I can load with the Loadmaster and have went for many thousands without a hic up.It has also given me some gray hairs!! The primer feed sucks!
God gave me a gift that I can make any machine hum if it has that ability and re engineer others to make them work. I try to break no speed records when loading. My goal is good safe ammo and never have to pull down any. If I am patient, am fully focused on the reloading job at hand and keep things clean I meet my goal most sessions.
Jay