PDA

View Full Version : Black Powder in a Lee Turret Press

Alan in WI
05-01-2010, 11:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone has used black powder in the Lee Pro Auto Disc Powder Measure? I was thinking of loading some rounds for a 45 colt. I can't see where it would be possible to get a spark using the Lee Classic Cast Turret press it's mostly plastic. Anyway I thought I would ask before I went and had at it.

Alan

:Fire

Southern Son
05-01-2010, 08:49 PM
The plastic can hold static, though. Many believe that static can't spark off black powder, many believe it can, many just won't risk it. Just another internet opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Four Fingers of Death
05-02-2010, 06:44 PM
A guy on another site who runs a business supplying Black Powder gear and Big Lube moulds, Dick Darstardly uses a stock standard Lee1000 for all of his BP loading. Also most of the cowboy shooters I mingle with use a standard Dillon 650, several are top line shooters, have always used BP and have been shootign BP for 10+ years. One friend who has been a top line BP shoter for many years, loads this way for his Wife, Son and Daughter in Law and they attend many interstate shoots and practice mid week as well. They have had no problem.

Would I load this way? I am moving away from the Lee 1000s because I find the three stations not enough to get r done the way I like, no complaints otherwise. I am currently using a Lee Classic Turret press and am in the process of setting up a Hornady LnL AP. I think I will shell out for the BP measure, but I will try the Auto Disks first (I have a whole passel of them and will start shooting BP exclusively when I get rid of the huge stock of commercial cast polymer coated boolits and Trail Boss powder that I have in stock).

I'm not 100% comfortable with it, but there are plenty out there doing the same.

prs
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I've use Holy Black in Lee auto disk and pro auto disc measures a LOT. Works great. Although I occasionally use the classic turret, I most often use the loadmaster which allows me to use two pro auto measures, one for powder and another for quick grits filler. Full case in 45 Colt will require a double disk kit. You might also want to investigate my PRS boolit design, molds available from the above mentioned Dick Dastardly, or pre-cast from a few good folks.

prs

Muddy Creek Sam
05-02-2010, 10:30 PM
I been loading BP that way for 3 years no problem.

Sam :D

GP100man
05-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Just treat everything with powdered graphite & it`ll keep the static "grounded"

On cold crisp winter days I touch the presses carefully though I`ve never had a shock YET!

cajun shooter
05-04-2010, 09:54 AM
I own two BP measures. I have one mounted on my 550 Dillon and the other next to my MEC for shotgun reloading. I am 63 and have been fooling with BP since 71. I had always heard about the stactic with BP and plastic and bought into it; That's why I own 2 special measures. I then saw a test about a year oir so ago where yhey tried to ignite BP with an electrical spark to no avail. They touched a small pile of BP with a wire and sparked it. I have several friends who have gotten into BP loading and use the Lee measures. I paid aboujt $125 ea for my RCBS and Lyman BP measures. BP is shipped and stored in plastic bottles and plastic bags.

Oyeboten
05-05-2010, 06:18 AM
I've been using an 'Ideal No. 5' so far, and it's a Gem.

Cat Iron Body, and Red Brass I suppose for the Metering aspect...very snug, easy to set, user-friendly...super precise.