PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks source and prices

Duckhunter
05-01-2010, 08:43 AM
I am new to casting and the use of gas checks. I need a little help with this decision.

I stumbled onto a dealer that used to sell a lot of reloading components but has pretty much gone out of the component business. He has a shelf full of gas checks. Some are by RCBS but most are made by Hornady but all of them are collecting dust. Are one of these brands better than the other. I don't know how these prices compare but I bought a box of 35 checks for $24 and a box of 44 checks for $21. He has about everything but 30 cal checks. At these prices, should I go ahead and get the "life time supply"?

RayinNH
05-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Those prices don't sound horrible to me, but then I haven't purchased gas checks in five or so years. Compare prices at one of the on-line suppliers to see how those prices stack up. You could see if the owner will discount the prices if you purchase all or most of his supply. Sell the extras that you don't need in the for sale section...Ray

LET-CA
05-21-2010, 01:47 AM
I am new to casting and the use of gas checks. I need a little help with this decision.

I stumbled onto a dealer that used to sell a lot of reloading components but has pretty much gone out of the component business. He has a shelf full of gas checks. Some are by RCBS but most are made by Hornady but all of them are collecting dust. Are one of these brands better than the other. I don't know how these prices compare but I bought a box of 35 checks for $24 and a box of 44 checks for $21. He has about everything but 30 cal checks. At these prices, should I go ahead and get the "life time supply"?

I'd sure be glad to buy a couple of boxes of Hornady 44 caliber gas checks for that price if there's any left! I'll pay shipping too. They've become rather difficult to find.