PDA

View Full Version : Factory ammo quality

fatelk
05-01-2010, 12:24 AM
I found this on the ground where I go to shoot, amongst a couple empty "Blazer Brass" boxes and a bunch of what sure appears to be 1x brass.

It was a live round, and seeing the backwards primer I figured it to be someone's lousy reload. I pulled it apart for components, and the shiny inside tells me it's a factory load. At least someone caught it before pulling the trigger.

I guess this stuff happens from time to time. I once had a Wolf .223 round with a sideways primer, but that's Russian.

Mk42gunner
05-01-2010, 01:30 AM
I remember one time, when the FBI was using my range on Point Mugu, seeing a 230grain Federal Hydrashock seated backwards.

Robert

EMC45
05-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Could still be a reload...........people reload with new brass at times. You are right though, stuff does happens :-o

Does Speer still sell new brass to the public? I am thinking that is a Blazer round that didn't get powder and got a backwards primer at the factory.

Southern Son
05-01-2010, 08:27 AM
I used to buy some Norinco .45ACP ammo from time to time (before the government decided that the .45 was too big for me). In one batch I got 1 round out of every 50 that had not flash hole. When the hammer dropped, the primer popped and tried to back out of the pocket, locking the slide and barrel together. Rather inconvenient inn the middle of a timed shoot. I think that I still have a few laying around.

Hardcast416taylor
05-01-2010, 08:39 AM
A PMC 45 acp round with no flash hole resulted in damage to a Colt Gold Cup from the detonation. PMC paid for repairs and gave a voucher for 1000 rounds free ammo.Robert

Jaybird62
05-01-2010, 08:51 AM
I've got a Fedral .32 H&R Magnum factory round with the primer seated backwards. In the words of Forrest Gump, "It happens."

mooman76
05-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Could also be reloads someone bought. I hesitate to say professional made because I've seen their work and don't buy it anymore. The only reason I bought it before(some time ago) was because my lack of knowledge on reloading and what little it take to build a catastrofy.

Big Boomer
05-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Contrary to prevailing opinions, factories do not always get it right. I have a .223 loaded round on the shelf above my reloading bench headstamped CJ 93 with everything right, bullet seated and I presume with powder, except that the primer is missing and there is no flash hole. Where the round was ejected, you can see the ejector mark pull from the extractor grove to the rear (slight indent to the rear). My son presented it to me years ago when he was on furlough. He knew I would find the round interesting. 'Tuck

MtGun44
05-01-2010, 06:00 PM
I think CJ headstamp is chinese, but not sure. Not any US mfgr that I know of.

A question, too. How in th world would a 'no flash hole case' cause damage to
a Gold Cup. Sounds impossible to me.