PDA

View Full Version : Cross Ref for Star dies

pjh421
05-01-2010, 12:02 AM
PM'd Wiljen today about an idea I discussed with Lathesmith when I requested a .431" Star size die. It was for an RCBS 44-250-K slug. I got out my calipers and another Star die I had made by Robert Stilwell, took some dimensions and came up with the proper hole location for the RCBS boolit. It seems like each die is a semi-custom proposition, where the customer pulls the hole locations out of his ***. Seems to me that once a guy comes up with usable hole placement for his Star die, that information should be recorded and shared. This will let us stop re-inventing the wheel and just refer to a chart. Find your mould on the chart and PM Chris with the details. For instance, my Lathesmith die works perfectly with the single lube groove of the 44-250-K but not so hot with the Lee 240 grain RN that has 2 smaller lube grooves. I'd think this would help Chris with standard setups as well. I'm putting off the measurement process for my next die, hoping someone else has already solved the problem. I'd be glad to provide the hole locations I used for my die. Just need a central place to post them. Wiljen says he can add this to his top punch reference on Castpics.

Sound good?

Paul