PDA

View Full Version : .45ACP w/255 gr SWC (Lee)

pbchunkr
04-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi all -

First, I'll save somebody the trouble and go ahead and ask :
"Why would you want to ...... when a ...... will do ......?"

Because I also shoot this bullet in .45 LC, prefer heavy bullets generally, and believe that momentum is the important factor, not energy. :wink:

So.....

I'm loading this over 5.5/Unique @ 805 fps in my Taurus PT 1911 (5"), with quite useful defense accuracy, but wouldn't mind more speed if I can get it reasonably.
Recoil feels mebbe a tad more than hardball, tho' oddly "mushy".

I've worked up safe, more-or-less hot, accurate loads for rifle & revolver cartridges for over 45 years, but have always used published loads for semi-autos.

I haven't found any for heavy-bullet ACP loads, and know that folks have worked with even 300 gr. in 'em.

So, while any tested load data will be appreciated, my real question is - what are the pressure signs to watch for in a semi-auto?
I can imagine that a load could be damaging over time, tho' primer/case indicators may look fine.
I also guess that case ejection path might be something to watch, but it also might not really tell anything in particular.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

regards,

DLCTEX
05-01-2010, 12:25 AM
I installed shok buffs in mine before going to the heavy boolits (255 gr.) and put in a heavier spring. The only pressure signs I've seen in the 45 ACP is battering of the frame and expanded cases. Check the case dia with a mic. compared to a hardball case.

Mk42gunner
05-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Case head expansion. I have some TZZ-85 headstamped .45 brass that the rim had expanded to .487" from a nominal .473". This was the ammo that was cracking slides in Gov't 45's in the late eighties/ early nineties. I got curious and measured a bunch of it when it wouldn't fit in my shellholder.

Personally, I would say if you get any rim enlargement, you are probably too hot.

Robert

StrawHat
05-01-2010, 05:20 AM
There have been a few thread about heavy boolits in the 45 ACP, pistol and revolver. Here is the latest.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81606&highlight=454424+ACP

pbchunkr
05-01-2010, 04:02 PM
"a +P load in 45 ACP pushes a 230 to 950 fps" (23K psi).
(from the thread referred to above.)

I have a chronograph and I'm thinking a 255 @ 900ish (mebbe 7ish gr. Unique? - to be determined. :mrgreen:) would likely be safe, pressure-wise.

However, it may beat up my frame, which has the factory spring and non-buffered.
I assume it's 16#.

While I can install "a heavier spring", they come in several rates and I'm not aware of anything written on the pressure recommendations for the various spring weights, and seems it's a matter of balancing for proper ejection/feeding also.
Is there such published info?

And why buffers?
What do they do that isn't done by a heavier spring?
Seems I've read somewhere of buffers causing their own problems too.

I hope someone can enlighten me here. :?

Thanks.

littlejack
05-01-2010, 05:42 PM
pbchunker:
In the thread I brought forward (Favorite 45 acp loads) I did a post (page 4) on the very bullet and Taurus you and I both shoot.
The reason I used the Herco powder, was to NOT get the sharp pressure spikes of the other faster powders with this heavy of a bullet, and be able to push that bullet at maximum speeds within safe pressures. I also believe that the slower powders burn more efficiently with the heavier bullets in front of them.
As you can read, I based my loads on the data listed in the Speer manual # 12 with their 260 grain JACKETED bullet. I feel very comfortable with this load, as being safe and it is also plenty accurate in my pistol. These loads are NOT shot regularly as to keep battering to a minimum on my pistol. My regular target loads are the Lyman 200 swc with 5.0 grains of Win. 231. My next step up is the 230 grainers of different configuations with 5.8 grains of Win. 231.
I have tested this (Lee 255) bullet in my Uberti "Evil Roy" revolver, and it creates more pressure than the my cast Lyman 454190. The load that I use in the Uberti is 9.2 grains Herco. I get no leading with any cast bullet, it is very clean burning and I believe the pressure spike is not as sharp as would be with the faster powders. I clocked my loads at an average of 925 fps. 10 grains give me 1000 + but starts to get uncomfortable.
If you go to the (Wheelguns, Pistols and HandCannons) site, look at the (And the winner iiiiissssssss Uberti) (I forwarded) you will see the results of the testing with my Uberti 45.
Jack
Jack

pbchunkr
05-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the lead littlejack.

Anything good for bears'll do for defense, right? :grin:
I don't have Herco, but may give WSF (a bit slower yet) a try if I can get enough in to do the job.

I have the SWC, but it should fit the assumptions as well as your RNFP.

Happy to see 35remington voice my thoughts:
"If you can keep that 255 at around 900, given the deeper bullet seating and heavier weight, that's likely nearer plus P than standard pressures......"

I'm considering this top-end.

Now if someone will instruct me in springs/buffers 101......... [smilie=1:

regards,

pbchunkr
05-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I should note that I'm using an O.A.L. of 1.195" (+/- .005 variation w/my Lee dieset) 'cause that gives the same casehead protusion (none) at the chamber w/a loaded round as a f/l resized empty case.

shotman
05-01-2010, 10:29 PM
keep saving your money the Taurus will be scrap in about 1000 rounds. They shoot good till they shoot loose and trash after that the one I pawned sounded like a box of rocks . I put STP inside to get rid of it.

pbchunkr
05-01-2010, 11:52 PM
What load were you shooting in your Taurus, shotman?
Was it a PT 1911?