PDA

View Full Version : Magma Engineering Lube

born ready
04-30-2010, 07:55 PM
I have a Star lubrisizer with a heater. I use the candle wax that Magma sells.
Any opinions on how well this stuff works?
Thanks,
BR

runfiverun
04-30-2010, 09:55 PM
i used it for a long time for low/medium end stuff.
the carnuba red from glen s far superior and cheaper.
a bit less heat and more pressure to make it go, but the lube properties are far superior.

born ready
04-30-2010, 10:17 PM
i used it for a long time for low/medium end stuff.
the carnuba red from glen s far superior and cheaper.
a bit less heat and more pressure to make it go, but the lube properties are far superior.

Who's Glen?

Pistol Champ
04-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Has anyone remelted Magma lube with Carnuba Red 50/50?
Did it make it less sticky so that the tips do not stick together when boxed in bulk?

ANeat
04-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Who's Glen?

http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html

runfiverun
04-30-2010, 11:21 PM
magma's lube is parafin based.
50-50 would be a bit too much for the b-wax mixture in the red.
25-30 would stiffen it up pretty well,if you still wanted the flexibility a bit of lanolin will bring it back.
but in a different way.

fecmech
05-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Has anyone remelted Magma lube with Carnuba Red 50/50?
Did it make it less sticky so that the tips do not stick together when boxed in bulk?

I have and it takes care of the "stickies". I have had no problems with straight Magma in all of my plain based pistol applications up to and including magnum velocities. I have no problems with it in my two .357 lever guns with the same PB bullets up to 1600 fps. I'm sure the Carnauba red may be a better lube with higher speeds in rifles but for handguns and pistol cartridge rifles the Magma has worked fine for me

fredj338
05-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I have and it takes care of the "stickies". I have had no problems with straight Magma in all of my plain based pistol applications up to and including magnum velocities. I have no problems with it in my two .357 lever guns with the same PB bullets up to 1600 fps. I'm sure the Carnauba red may be a better lube with higher speeds in rifles but for handguns and pistol cartridge rifles the Magma has worked fine for me
I would have to agree. I have mixed the Magma 50/50 w/ beeswax & 1 part tb grease. It makes it a bit softer, still needs some heat.

johnho
05-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I have used Magma lube for years and never had a problem with it in any pistol bullets except the 40S&W but I think the problem is more the barrel that the lube or the bullet size. lars red didn't help that problem too much. for rifle I only use lars lubes.

Colorado4wheel
05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Magma lube is cheap. As cheap as the Carnuba Red. For me it works fine in my pistol bullets. I just mixed some with some NRA lube. It's now sticky and nasty. Can't wait till it's all gone and I'm back to the good all Magma Lube. I will try some Carnuba Red next. But I hear it's a little sticky so I will have to see what that really means to know if I like it or not. Probably just try a test stick of some sort.

leadman
05-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Glen has a commercial lube that is stiffer and less sticky. Ask him about it.

I am doing some experimenting with lubes here in Az. now that the temps are climbing. CR is coming out of the lube grooves of my bullets I ship so am trying the commercial, adding a quarter ounce of beeswax to CR, and am going to try making my own.

CR is melting about 125', commercial just over 135', along with Glen's CR & alox mix (can't remember the name). LBT Blue Soft with 20% beeswax melts about 135'. These were tested by placing them in a plastic bag with a thermometer in the lube in the sun. And it is only around 90' here. Wait until it is 115'!!

I lubed some 30 cal. boolits today with CR & BW and will load these tomorrow for a check of leading and smoke at the range soon. The lube seems stiffer and less sticky, but my goal is to have the lube stay in the grooves during shipping.

Magma Lube failed miserably on rifle bullets and heavy loads in my Contender 44 cal. Spent many hours getting the lead out. Won't try it again. Might be ok in light loads. It does stay in the grooves though, all the way to the backstop then some.

bobthenailer
05-06-2010, 06:34 PM
ive used magma lube mixed with carnuba red not the 50/50 with good results the CR was a little tacky for my bulk storage