PDA

View Full Version : Seating rifle boolits

db2
07-23-2006, 03:00 PM
I just now have some time to mess with the 311041 GB. This is my first time trying cast in a rifle. So, how do you get rid of the ring that the seater plug leaves on the nose of the boolit when seating? I am using RCBS dies, does RCBS sell different style seater plugs, that I can order? I have lightly chamfered the seater, and I see no difference in the ring on the boolit. Is this something I need to be concerned about, because, I sure do not like the way it looks.

db2

Char-Gar
07-23-2006, 04:49 PM
The ring, while unsightly, probably won't hurt the accuracy. Trying to remove them will probably do more harm than good.

I am assuming the bullet is flat nose and the bullet seating stem is for pointed bullets and that is what is leaving the ring.

You can fill the cavity of seating stem with JB Weld and dress it off to give a flat nose seating stem or gring off the tip to give you the same thing.

bruce drake
07-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Another thing to check on seating cast in rifle cartridges is belling the case neck. Most pistol dies will bell the neck as part of the reloading process. Rifle Dies are set up differently (for jacketed mostly) and a good Lyman M Die or a center punch and hammer applied to the cartridge case will expand the cartridge's mouth enough to help prevent shearing lead from the bullet as you seat the bullet. If you are familiar with reloading pistol cases, look at the mouth of a resized pistol case and a resized rifle case and you can easily see the difference.

Bruce

db2
07-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Charger, I thought about using an epoxy to get a better fit, But I see the problem of keeping some kind of alignment when I seat a bullet. Maybe, I am over thinking this?

bruce, Yes I am using a Lyman M die to open the case mouth.

To help clear things up, I do not want to remove the marks from the boolit themselves. I just want to find a way to eliminate the ring when I seat them.

thanks
db2

CSH
07-24-2006, 03:29 PM
You didn't mention the caliber you are loading, but I assume it isn't a 30-30 since most of those include a seater for flat point bullets (the 311041 is a great 30-30 bullet). You might try a 30-30 seating die assuming you have one on hand, otherwise I wouldn't give it too much thought. Most of the cast bullets I shoot in 30-06 have the ring that you mention and if accuracy suffers it is due to something else. There are at least a half dozen other considerations that are immensely more important.

db2
07-24-2006, 05:21 PM
CSH, caliber is 30-06. I have a LEE 30-30 die set and looked at that, and yes theirs fit a lot better. So I called up RCBS and talked to them about their 30-30 seater. They told me that the seat plugs are all the same for each caliber. :( However, they did say that they would make me a seat plug to fit any boolit that I would send them. Like any thing custom it was kinda spendy when compared to the price of the dies. 13.95 plus 4.00 for S&H, so I think I will just live with the ring.

I am just now starting to play with this boolit and so far accuracy is not all that bad. 12.0 grs of Red Dot gives me 3 inch groups at 100 yrds out of my 1903A3 with ten shots. I think in order to improve on that is to change the loose nut behind the trigger.

Thanks for your help
db2