PDA

View Full Version : Greener police gun

jbunny
04-30-2010, 06:15 PM
here are some pics of my latest project. i screwed up and came up and came up a
winner. its posible to chemical case coloring.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/chemicalrainbow.jpg

here is a pic of the complete gun. i restored the wood as well.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/greenerpolicegun.jpg

Lee W
04-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Details?

jbunny
04-30-2010, 09:06 PM
notice in the pic that this concotion even blues stainless screen. i know thet the screen is not the 400 sieries as it's non magnetic. it's 304 or 308.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/bluedstainlessscreen.jpg
this is the tanks that i built useing 4 inch stainless pipe that i cut lenght lenghtwise.
put the split over a old grader blade and hammered it u shaped. i then clamped it
on the grader blade and hamered the drip lips which worked real good as nothing
dripped on the burnner tube. i used a propane torch with i opened the orfice to
.030 thou. the burrner tube has 3/32 holes spaced 1/2 inch apart.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/blueingtank.jpg
this is the level indicator wich is 1/4 inch numbers spaced 1/4 inch apart . every
10 min the level drops 1/4 inch wich is 3 cups of water.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/blueingtanklevelindicater.jpg

Tom-ADC
04-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I think the deck crews on the carriers I was on used Greener rifles of some sort to shoot the first line across between ships so the heavier lines could be transfered between the ships.
BTW great rifle and nice work on your part.

TDB9901
05-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Is your Greener a 14 gauge?? If so what do you do for shells?

My neighbor has one very similar that I may be able to sweet talk him out of, but in my limited searches, I have found nothing to chamber in it.

excess650
05-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Is your Greener a 14 gauge?? If so what do you do for shells?

My neighbor has one very similar that I may be able to sweet talk him out of, but in my limited searches, I have found nothing to chamber in it.

IIRC, all you need to do is grid off the outside firing pin prongs, modify the extractor, rebarrel and chamber for whatever...I shoulda bought one way back when just for $hits and giggles

KCSO
05-12-2010, 12:51 PM
It's not that difficult to convert the Greener breech block to center fire. In addition I chambered one to 12 Gauge and reamed the barrel to about 2" from the muzzle and came up with a very nice 12 ga. full choke.

jbunny
05-12-2010, 01:11 PM
mine is a 12 gauge, 2 3/4 chamber, .719 muzzle. there availible up here
from a dealer for $275. will try trap shooting tonight with it.
jb

TDB9901
05-12-2010, 02:01 PM
I'll have to take a closer look at EXACTLY what he has. Might be worth playing with. IIRC it was a center-fire already, but would have to look again before I could swear to anything except that it looks quite similar to jbunny's............. not in as good shape of course.........good job on the restore.

jbunny
05-12-2010, 06:24 PM
rebarrel it to 44 mag or 357 mag
jb

dromia
05-13-2010, 01:09 AM
To shoot my 14 bore Greener police guns I use 16 bore cartridges with a single wrap of 80gm photocopying paper Prit sticked in place around the case.

Fits and shoots champion, it works for me but would not recommend that anyone else does this.

I take these Greeners to clay shoots occasionally and get some looks from the "serious" clay shooters with their shiny £10K+ Perazzis, Brownings and Berrettas.

Don't win any gongs but I break a few clays and don't embarras myself too much. :mrgreen:

Buckshot
05-13-2010, 01:41 AM
To shoot my 14 bore Greener police guns I use 16 bore cartridges with a single wrap of 80gm photocopying paper Prit sticked in place around the case.

Fits and shoots champion, it works for me but would not recommend that anyone else does this.

I take these Greeners to clay shoots occasionally and get some looks from the "serious" clay shooters with their shiny £10K+ Perazzis, Brownings and Berrettas.

Don't win any gongs but I break a few clays and don't embarras myself too much. :mrgreen:

..............You're the only one showing any class.

............Buckshot

EMC45
05-13-2010, 05:47 AM
..............You're the only one showing any class.

............Buckshot

Indeed. My thoughts exactly.

JeffinNZ
05-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Fancy the British building guns just for shooting police! LOL.

Buckshot
05-14-2010, 02:38 AM
Fancy the British building guns just for shooting police! LOL.

............Ole Jeff has been at the Fosters again :-)

...............Buckshot

Mk42gunner
05-14-2010, 05:34 AM
I think the deck crews on the carriers I was on used Greener rifles of some sort to shoot the first line across between ships so the heavier lines could be transfered between the ships.
BTW great rifle and nice work on your part.

Tom,

Up into the 70's the navy used a purpose built line throwing gun; from talking to the older Gunner's Mates, it was an H&R that was supposed to use a .45-70 blank, but was commonly used with 3"/50 primers because they had more power. I never saw one, but did have some of the projectiles, a rubber bulb on the end of an 18" long rod.

When Iwas in (84-04), we used M-14's with a line throwing adapter. It was a cup type arraingement that fit over the flash hider and latched onto the bayonet lug. Propulsion was a grenade cartridge. The weight is now a one pound block of rubber that you can fit a small chemlight in for nighttime use.

Robert

dromia
05-14-2010, 05:34 AM
If you ever heft one you'll see that it was designed as much a club as a gun.

Actually the possibility of shooting police isn't that far away from the truth in its concept.

The gun uses 14 bore brass cartridges, the thinking behind this was if there was a revolution or such like in the dominions where these guns were issued to local police there usability would be reduced if the fell into the hands of disatisfied natives due to the unique nature of the chambering. If the common 12 bore had been used then there would have been ammunition a plenty, the 14 bore is just too small for this common civilian use cartridge.

Buckshot
05-15-2010, 03:06 AM
If you ever heft one you'll see that it was designed as much a club as a gun.

Actually the possibility of shooting police isn't that far away from the truth in its concept.

The gun uses 14 bore brass cartridges, the thinking behind this was if there was a revolution or such like in the dominions where these guns were issued to local police there usability would be reduced if the fell into the hands of disatisfied natives due to the unique nature of the chambering. If the common 12 bore had been used then there would have been ammunition a plenty, the 14 bore is just too small for this common civilian use cartridge.

.............. Didn't they also use a unique 2 pronged firing pin?

.............Buckshot

KCSO
05-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Three prongs actually one as the firing pin and two that mated to a groove in the rim of the brass ctg. All this was done to prevent native use, gun control at its best. When I did my conversion I got rid of the two prongs and welded up the hol;es in the breech block. Then I chambered the gun to standard 12 Gauge, which wasn't much of a job and reamed the majority of the bore to 710. I thinned the wood fore end a tad and put on an ebony cap, but sold it before I could make up a decent safety. Seems like these were out of Florida in about 2000 or so for under $120.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
05-18-2010, 04:22 PM
We used a bored out Remington 03a3's as line throwing guns in the Coast Guard on the small boats. It always broke my heart to see those old girls being relegated to line throwing duty.

Regards,
Everett

Tom,

Up into the 70's the navy used a purpose built line throwing gun; from talking to the older Gunner's Mates, it was an H&R that was supposed to use a .45-70 blank, but was commonly used with 3"/50 primers because they had more power. I never saw one, but did have some of the projectiles, a rubber bulb on the end of an 18" long rod.

When Iwas in (84-04), we used M-14's with a line throwing adapter. It was a cup type arraingement that fit over the flash hider and latched onto the bayonet lug. Propulsion was a grenade cartridge. The weight is now a one pound block of rubber that you can fit a small chemlight in for nighttime use.

Robert

JIMinPHX
05-27-2010, 06:04 PM
I seem to remember one of the big catalog companies, like Sportsman's guide or someone, was selling something like them a few years ago with no FFL required because the ammo wasn't commercially available & that made them exempt from the FFL rules.