PDA

View Full Version : Priming woes

Blammer
04-30-2010, 03:54 PM
I was in the middle of priming some 8mm mauser cases and my hand held RCBS priming tool broke!

This is the metal one that's held together by two screws on the side.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Stuff/DSCN7992.jpg

The 'lip' that holds the shell holder, one half of it just broke off! I was surprised to say the least.

So I'm thinking, no problem, go buy another one. WRONG! $60 for one of them fancy autoprimers with the primer tray holder on the side and stuff.

or $12 for a Lee one and then from what I understand I'll have to get all the shell holders that I need for it. So more bucks.

I then remember I have a priming arm on my RCBS single stage! Well glee turns into bummer, when I realize I only have the small primer cup holder thingy.

So strike two.

I can't find parts or another RCBS hand held primer like I have now (but not broken of course).

I see this APS stuff and a bunch of bench primers, and a whole bunch of what I would think of as extra junk.

What would you recommend?

RobS
04-30-2010, 04:03 PM
This is not immediate, but you can call up RCBS and they will more than likely be happy to replace it with something, possibly another model if they don't have your current one. You would be surprised with what RCBS will do to make a customer happy.

Dorf
04-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Bite the bullet and buy the Lee! You know how many different cases that one shell holder covers. BTW were you by any chance trying to prime some recent manufacture Remington 8mm cases? I've found some that were truly difficult when using CCI primers. YMMV

Blammer
04-30-2010, 05:00 PM
no, I wasn't trying to prime anything that was extra hard or difficult, That was the surprising part.

Mk42gunner
04-30-2010, 05:31 PM
I'd call RCBS, they have always been helpful when I called.

I have their hand priming tool which seems to work better for me than the Lee. It also takes universal shellholders, instead of special ones like the Lee, which isn't really a great savings; I end up buying two shellholders, but that gives me the option of having two single stage presses set up at the same time.

Robert

GrizzLeeBear
04-30-2010, 07:21 PM
I got the Lee Autoprime II, press mounted primer tool years ago and sold my RCBS hand primer (got tired of my hand getting tired when priming lots of cases). This one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=556149

It uses standard shell holders, although some brands may fit better than others (has to do with the primer hole size I think). I use the Lee shell holder set, so no problems. Feeds primers well, with the occasional tap on the side of the primer tray to shake the primers down. Only issue is that the last 5 - 8 primers need a little push with a pencil or something to feed due to being in the flat part of the feed chute and not having any more primers on top to push them down by gravity.
Only $15 and NO more shell holders to buy if you already have a standard shell holder for that caliber.

AZ-Stew
04-30-2010, 07:49 PM
The Lee hand primer (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=807875) can be purchased with a SET of shell holders (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=566058) that covers 99.5 percent of the cartridges you might what to handload for less than $25 for the whole shebang (+ shipping). I've used one for years and have no complaints.

Regards,

Stew

GP100man
04-30-2010, 09:22 PM
For small primers I use the hornady hand tool , for large & use the Lee auto prime 2.

I have to go with the press for the large , my hand will start hurtin & I can`t feel em hit bottom!

The only thing `bout the auto prime the last 12-20 primers I have to take a pencil & push em on the ram , I can do that !

dragonrider
04-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I use the Lee autoprime II also, very easy to use and fast.

fatelk
05-01-2010, 12:15 AM
I had that same (discontinued) model years ago, and broke the handle. I called RCBS to see about possibly buying a new handle. They said they couldn't do that because it was a discontinued model, but they would be glad to send me the newer model as a replacement, free of charge! I still use it and it works great. They didn't even want me to send the old one in, just chuck it.

I have used the Lee hand-prime unit also, but the pot-metal handles just don't hold up on them. I've broken three of them over the years. They will replace them if you send the broken piece back, but that's a pain. I have a broken one right now and I don't think I'll even bother fixing it. Others use them with no problems, so maybe it's just me.

Mk42gunner
05-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Blammer,

The pisture in the post opened this time. After calling RCBS; if they don't want the old one back, I'd try to fix that with some JB weld.

Robert

skeet1
05-01-2010, 10:47 AM
If RCBS wont replace your broken one, I would buy a Lee with the assorted shell holders. compared to the RCBS you will have money left over and a tool that you will serve you very well for many years. I own and RCBS like the one you broke and it works well.

Some years ago I was in a junk shop and found a used Lee tool for $8.00. I bought it and have used it ever since. I like the attached primer tray and the ease of use. If the Lee ever becomes unusable I will buy another. What I think is interesting about Lee is that when ever they come up with a good idea another company copies it.

Skeet1

beagle
05-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I've had two of those and they both broke in the same area. I love 'em but they're weak. RCBS will replace it with their currently offered hand priming tool which isn't too bad. They did mine at least./beagle

Leadforbrains
05-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Call RCBS. I believe they will replace it.

Blammer
05-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Called RCBS, closed, sent them an email. Will try again on Monday, see what they say. May get one of them universal shell holder primers with tray from RCBS, look intriguing.

MtGun44
05-01-2010, 11:40 AM
As a great fan of JB weld and a structural engineer for a living. That is one of the cases
where there is no chance that it will be strong enough, sorry to say.

This is exactly where the Lee's fail, although the have a slightly different design where
instead of using the shellholders and having the small lower flange on the shellholder
engage the body of the tool, they have a simpler (cheaper, too) flat shell holder and
the whole outer diameter engages the shellholder, a close analog to your RCBS.

My guess is that RCBS will warranty it, but if not . . . .

I'd suggest borrowing a Lee for a 5 minute trial to see if you like it and then buy the
Autoprime and the set of a dozen shellholders for way less than the RCBS. If you put a
dab of good moly grease on the wearing points in the Lee it will last many years, IME
about 10-15 before you will have an analogous failure in the Lee shell holder area, altho
they crack and let the shellholder move upward so you can't seat a primer fully, but the
do not actually come apart. Not that it is any advantage, but I just buy a new one. No
matter how good a warrantee is, I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for a new tool after
a decade of steady use - esp at Lee's price point. Eventually I bought a second one to set
up for small primers and save a bit of time in the swapping.

Grease is important because the parts are fairly soft zinc alloy and will wear rapidly without
lube, then your stroke gets too short to seat a primer. . . . game over. With grease they
outlast the fatigue life of the shell holder slot.

Ed Barrett
05-01-2010, 12:52 PM
I have 4 Lee's one for each primer type. They are much handier than taking out left over primers. I only use winchester primers regularly so it works great for me and the price for 4 of them is compatible with the price of one of the other makes.

Blammer
05-05-2010, 10:03 PM
well RCBS sent a reply via email that it will be covered under warrenty and a new one is in route.

WOW! I was thinking I'd have to buy another one. I'll let you know when it arrives.

part_timer
05-05-2010, 10:14 PM
I have the universal shell holder type RCBS and it works just fine. The only thing you have to watch is that you let the handle open all the way so the primers don't get stuck in the slot in the arm that seperates the priming pin from the primer tray. The arm is supposed to be a safety feature to keep the primer from detonating the entire tray if something goes wrong.

Cherokee
05-06-2010, 09:48 PM
I'ed go for the Lee hand primer w/tray and buy the shell holder set. I have two, one small and one large. Tried the RCBS "fits all" with tray and did not like it. YMMV

Blammer
05-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Saturday a box arrived.

In it was a "broken" RCBS hand primer. All I needed to do was change out the handle, no big deal, YEA! FIXED!

AND a COMPLETE single stage priming setup! Yee haw!

I am well pleased, nay, VERY pleased with RCBS service. I was fully prepared to buy what I needed but I didn't have to. I even told them I'd pay but they declined.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Stuff/DSCN8004.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Stuff/DSCN8005.jpg

TDC
05-09-2010, 11:19 PM
I have four Lee Priming Tools. Two old style and two new "Auto Prime" style. I've broken 4 handles through the years and one just broke on a new one a few days ago.

Their tools are inexpensive and work very well, however, the metal they choose to use for their handles just can't stand the pressures required of frequent primer seating for long and eventually fatigue. They all break in the same place and there is nothing that can be done to repair the lever.

Lubrication of moving parts is essential. Expect handles to be at greater risk of breakage when priming new cases or cases with tighter primer pockets.

I would suggest buying Lee Auto Prime tools but always have an inexpensive replacement handle or two on hand to replace a broken one.... They are available at a very nominal cost and having an extra or two would save a lot of frustration..

pakmc
05-11-2010, 06:26 AM
I load with a Dillon and use a Lee auto primer for putting the primers in berdan brass. the only time i've ever had a primer fire on me was with a Lee auto primer. I've loaded thousands of shotgun shells in my pass(many throusands) and never had a shotgun primer go off. I've used up some parts of my 550B dillon and never had a primer fire in it. but one in a lee.
Pat