PDA

View Full Version : old cartridge boxes

357maximum
07-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Anybody collect old cartridge, ammo boxes?

bisley45
07-23-2006, 02:32 PM
yep any thing to do with guns or shooting here is some of the old boxes I have
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/lisa1lacy2/my%20guns/oldboxes002.jpg

StanDahl
07-23-2006, 04:30 PM
I've got a few...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/StanDahl/Oldammo9a.jpg

The box of cleaning patches and oil were found at a yard sale full and unused. The nib at the top of the oil can isn't even cut. The only problem is that the patch box cardboard was saturated in oil from a leaky bottle, I need to figure out what to use to get that out without dissolving the box - maybe acetone? The 30-40 ammo is of unknown vintage, many case necks are split, :( as are some others I have in a bandolier, although 4 of the sections are unopened... I have heard that this is common with this ammo. The SuperMatch box was found recently at the range, some guy was doing what nature intended, releasing that powder and lead back into the wild.

Not shown are a couple of wooden boxes... 2 Westerns - a 30-30 and a .22; a PMC .223 and some big mortar round boxes, both from the Vietnam era. My wife occasionally brings these home from her forays into the neighborhood for yard sales. It helps me to ignore some of the more useless things she drags home. Stan

357maximum
07-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Ok, I see I am not the only one with the ailment, Pictures coming as soon as I get them "SMALL" enough...

My one big (GOTTA HAVE IT) Is them Remington dark green and red ones that say kleanbore, I do not know why, but as soon as I get the pic smaller you will see what I mean.

The reason I was asking is I have some duplicates, and was thinking about what to do with them. What is an empty box of say remington kleanbore 35 remington worth, or western super X "lubaloy" silvertips in 35 rem worth? I have others a bunch of them in fact, some are pristine others are rough, but all are solid...Maybe it could be a trade swap deal for others duplicates, or some other "useful" commodity.. Most do have loaded rounds in them and quite a few are full, but shipping such stuff would be prohibitive enough not to make me offer it..

Michael

357maximum
07-24-2006, 02:13 AM
Here are some of the "treasures"

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/bulletbox.jpg

I stumbled a bit, using photobucket for the first time, but I got it, well I can see it anyway, I should have done that long before now, It is so easy this ttt ttt tt tech ni ni ni nic call all nally ch ch chall enged person figured it out, with a little help from our more tech fluent members.

w30wcf
07-24-2006, 09:10 PM
It's neat to see history! Thank You for sharing.

I have the "disease" as well.......but only can afford so much. In 1994 I started collecting .30-30 boxes - have over 30 now ranging from
late 1890's up to present day...each different.

I also started collecting .22's and had a goal of obtaining every Winchester and Western type box from 1930 (pre 1930's are too expensive!) until present day. Th hardest one I found was the Winchester - Western box which was only produced for a few years until Western was dropped.

Have a few .44-40 boxes from the 1950's... ones from pre 1900 are nice but run $350 and up (way too expensive for me!)

I'd post a few pictures, but my scanner isn't functioning currently.

To get an idea of what some folks are willing to pay for vintage boxes visit
www.wardscollectibles.com
Their last auction is compete and the prices are still shown. Check the prices on some of those .22 boxes!!

Next auction starts Aug 1.

w30wcf

w30wcf
07-24-2006, 09:48 PM
357 Maximum,

What is an empty box of say remington kleanbore 35 remington worth, or western super X "lubaloy" silvertips in .35 rem worth?

Check: https://www.wardscollectibles.com/viewitem.php?item=2568

That's for a full box. An empty box might bring a little less.

w30wcf

Dutch4122
07-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Michael-

I'll check out in the shop in the morning. A few years ago a friend at a side job I had gave me all of the brass, bullets, and ammunition from his late father's handloading stash. I have a fair amount of 25-30 year old boxes of brass and loaded rounds. Not sure if there's any .35 Remington boxes out there in the old green "Kleenbore" style but I know there are a couple. My gut tells me .30-30 and 8mm Mauser. But I'll check and let you know in the morning.

357maximum
07-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Matt

I have 35 rem in the kleanbore, about 7 of them. I apparently did not splain myslelf as good as I should have. The photo is of the duplicates I have, and most of them are 35 remington. I do not have an 8mm in the kleanbore packaging though. If anyone "needs" a 35 remmy in the kleanbore I have several. I really cannot see much use in having more than one of each, I plan on building a sunken shelving system in the new house to show them off, but that is at least 2 years out, maybe more, YEE OL FINANCIAL SITUATION MAY BE TAKING A TURN FOR THE WORSE, WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE..

Thanks for thinkin of me with the boxes.

Ranch Dog
07-25-2006, 03:10 PM
I've got a bunch myself. I've been wondering how to preserve and display them. I wish there was something that you could dip the box in to preserve it and stop the aging process.

Michael... let me look at my stash. I might be interested in one of those extras you mention above. Like you, I don't see the need to duplicate anything.

357maximum
07-25-2006, 05:15 PM
I've got a bunch myself. I've been wondering how to preserve and display them. I wish there was something that you could dip the box in to preserve it and stop the aging process.

Michael... let me look at my stash. I might be interested in one of those extras you mention above. Like you, I don't see the need to duplicate anything.

Just let me know, I owe you one
michael