PDA

View Full Version : This most likly ask many times ,BUT

Fly
04-30-2010, 01:35 AM
How many of you have tumbled your boolits in dry moly?Now I a new guy & this
is most likly ole hat here.But it seems as though it would in bed in the lead &
make a great lube.

The stuff Lyman makes I have used on the jacket stuff & it's slick as snot.[smilie=s:

looseprojectile
04-30-2010, 05:33 PM
I have a friend that drops all his cast boolits in a case tumbler with moly in it out of the mould. He adds about a teaspoon of moly or graphite in his media.
His boolits look neat but Molybdenumdisulfide or graphite is not enough lube to shoot even low velocity hand gun boolits alone. I have used a lot of the boolits he has done this way and see very little difference as they have to be lubed with regular lube anyway. The tumbling tends to round off the base and edges of the bands and I like virgin boolits fresh out of the sizer that are sharp and clean. I have not closely compared the difference though in my mind sharper is better.
His boolits shoot better than I can hold.
Not worth the trouble for me as my boolits shoot better than I can hold.
Go ahead if it makes you feel better. I dont think it will hurt much.

Life is good

Fly
04-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks for your reply.It seemed like a good thought.The lube has to act as a heat sink for
the lead.I bet you could get by with it on the first two shoots,till the barrel heated up.

O well just a thought.I know I'm not the first to think of this so you cleared this up.

Thanks buddy! Fly

geargnasher
05-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Lead has extremely low thermal conductivity, so it is it's own heat sink travelling down a gunbarrel. What a lead boolit needs is a lubricating agent in a form that stays with it until muzzle exit.

Gear

cbrick
05-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Col. Harrison of the NRA technical staff conducted experiments several decades ago using only Moly as lube and concluded it was a failure in all but the very weakest loads in the shortest barrels and even then not all that effective.

Rick