PDA

View Full Version : lyman 4500 problem

RKJ
04-28-2010, 10:08 PM
I posted yesterday that I had problems with my 4500, I got the lube out of the reservoir easy enough (boiling water, it dropped right out. Now I can't get the Pressure Nut back up to the top. I've included a PDF file http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/pdf/LyC_BC_LS_4500.pdf (well the web site) and the schematic is on page 4 of 6. I tried Lyman this afternoon but they closed 2 hours prior, I'll try them tomorow. Thanks all for the help.

GP100man
04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Take a peice of wire bend a hook in the end catch it pull up & turn the screw clockwise.

Catch it on the top of the top o ring , when it starts pull the wire out & hold it with a pencil eraser, screw driver or a pick until it catches on the o rings.

Time & patience !

when ya get it back out cut a peice of 1/2" pvc 3/4" long , put it under the pressure screw to prevent this from occurin again.

I went & bought a strong telescoping magnet to pick the screw up , I gave up on the wire deal!!!

montana_charlie
04-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Is the pressure nut down so deep it has fallen off of the threads...or is it turning with the screw?
If it's too deep, dismount the press and push the screw down while turning. If the nylon stop collar is in position, that should not be happening.
If the nut is turning, try to put pressure on it with a long screw driver.

CM

RKJ
04-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Well, by sheer luck I figured it out. It was still on the rod but stuck so hard that I had to drive it out. I had it upstairs (I reload and cast in my basement/Garage) so that I could call Lyman tomorrow. We watch our 2 grandsons and didn't want to be in the way of a 2 year old. I got it up and took it into the bedroom so that it wouldn't be a problem and noticed that the screw rod was way out of the press. I went back downstairs and used a 1/4" socket to turn it out of the reservoir. The pressure nut was stuck but some brake parts cleaner and a 1/4" extension got it out. It fared OK, a little dented but serviceable. Now to get it working right, I am using the orange Lyman lube and it might need heating to get it to flow. I'll figure it out (eventually) :)[smilie=b:

GP100man
04-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Orange magic likes it around 110f

Glad it worked out for ya !

RKJ
04-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Orange magic likes it around 110f

Glad it worked out for ya !

I'm finding that out, I put the orange magic back in (No Fool like an Old fool) and I can't get it to flow. I'm going to pull it back out and use the black Lyman/Ideal that came with the sizer. I'm also going to get a piece of sheet metal to place underneath the sizer so that I can place an iron on it. I saw that idea here and thought it was a good idea. I'm also going to make up some lube using Ben's recipe.

50% beeswax
30% Red, Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease
10% Johnson's Paste Wax
5% Dexron II Trans. Fluid
5% STP

I've got a few questions about it though so I've got to post him a question.

sparmley
10-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Is the pressure nut down so deep it has fallen off of the threads...or is it turning with the screw?
If it's too deep, dismount the press and push the screw down while turning. If the nylon stop collar is in position, that should not be happening.
If the nut is turning, try to put pressure on it with a long screw driver.

CM

Thanks again to castboolits.com and it's great people for saving me time and $$! I thought I had stripped the threading in my Lyman 4500 until I found Montana Charlie's post (I used the handle to my lead dipper instead of a long screwdriver). The fix worked like a champ. You guys are great.