PDA

View Full Version : casting with gas checks

hunter2
04-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I know it has to be on here somewhere. Has anybody tried putting the gas check in the mold and then casting? Work sometime - special mold - crazy, WHY?

RayinNH
04-28-2010, 09:03 PM
It might get real interesting putting that little cup in between two sizzling hot mold blocks. You may find the gas check is a bit oversize to actually fit into the blocks...Ray

Blammer
04-28-2010, 09:22 PM
got a nose pour mould?

.30/30 Guy
04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
I just measured a few factory gas checks. 30 caliber measured 0.317 OD. Don't think you could close the mould all of the way.

+1 for Blammer and nose pour mould.

Pavogrande
04-28-2010, 10:19 PM
I seem to recall this many years ago, (back in the 60's) not only was the check put in the mould, several checks were inserted in the grooves to serve as driving bands. Naturally they had the centers punched out of the checks -- It seems reasonable to think the mould was modified to fit the checks but I don't remember for sure.
This may have been about the same time the Harvy Prot x bore bullet was somwhat popular. It was a zinc washer cast in the base of the bullet -- i think CH made a swaged bullet, basically the same -----

longbow
04-29-2010, 01:10 AM
Pavogrande is right, I have seen that too.

Also, there is an article on punching out the center of a gas check, setting it in the base pour plain base mould then pouring through the hole under the sprue plate.

It can and has been done.

Also, .303guy makes moulds that use the gas check as the base of the mould (nose pour). A little different method but same idea and same result ~ the boolit poured into the gas check.

Somewhere I also saw an article on using copper wire wound in a coil then inserted into a mould as well as moulds designed to accept copper tubing then boolits poured into that to make "jacketed/cast". Not sure how you get the tubing in the right diameter though unless it is specially drawn or swaged to the reuired size from standard tubing.

Longbow

303Guy
04-29-2010, 05:54 AM
Yup. Here it is.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-745F_edited.jpg

Dang beauty, I think! Also dang difficult. Well not really but rather slow. For starters, the gas check has to be pretty hot to take the alloy without chilling it. I've since substituted a stainless steel plug and now cast flat base with an ever so slight 'boat tail'. I also paper patch so no need for gas checks.:cool:

hunter2
05-04-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't know if I am lazy or always looking for an easier way to do things. The reason for the gas check was a suppressor. don't even want to take a chance with paper patch. Thanks though...

303Guy
05-05-2010, 04:58 AM
OK. Suppressors! I don't see a problem with paper patching and suppressors but them mine are 'designed' to suite fillers and cleaning patches and of course, paper patches. For the 'lazy' route (nothing wrong with that) you might consider granular fillers instead of a gas check. I've no idea whether that would work for you or cause a problem with your particular suppressor. One way to find out!:roll: (It can be cleaned, right?)

MT Gianni
05-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Somewhere I also saw an article on using copper wire wound in a coil then inserted into a mould as well as moulds designed to accept copper tubing then boolits poured into that to make "jacketed/cast". Not sure how you get the tubing in the right diameter though unless it is specially drawn or swaged to the reuired size from standard tubing.

Longbow

.375 for the H&H or 375 Win would take a 3/8" OD tubing.

georgewxxx
05-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Beagle has a article in Castpics on casting with gas checks with plain based boolits....Geo

maddog2020
05-06-2010, 12:03 PM
how do you paper patch ?
what is entailed for patching say a 44 mag keith style bullet?

andrew375
05-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Do search for Wilke gas checks. I think someone posted a scan of the HandLoader article on here. If not then a call to Wolfe publishing should get you a copy of the article for a small fee.