PDA

View Full Version : Chilly, drizzly, gloomy day; so ...

Rocky Raab
04-28-2010, 05:14 PM
I fired up the Lee and cast a couple hundred bullets.

No, nothing unusual in that. I just wanted to report that things are good, life is grand, and all is right with me.

While the LLA began drying, I managed to plant a row each of lettuce and radish seeds in the moist ground.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

mpmarty
04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Envy you Rocky. Still raining mixed with snow here. Down in the valley it's just rain. Wind at 15mph gusting to 30 or so from the west and the barometer is still dropping! Come on Spring!!

bigboredad
04-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Don't let good ole Rocky fool ya there calling for snow here tomorrow and it was a rain snow mix most of the morning

sqlbullet
04-28-2010, 05:57 PM
That is why my tomato and pepper starts are back inside!

mpmarty
04-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Yup and I'm hoping it will dry out enough to till the garden before we leave on vacation in May. That way it will be ready to plant when we get back.

gray wolf
04-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Snow and rain here in Maine, so I loaded up some 32 ACP for the wife.
The bonus was a vanilla cake with great frosting.

Matt_G
04-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Pretty nice day here except for the wind.
Got all setup to melt some wheel weights this morning and pow...dang wind started blowing 'bout 35 mph. Just like someone had hit a switch. [smilie=b:
Didn't even bother.
Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Rocky Raab
04-28-2010, 10:40 PM
We had weather, all right. It just never makes the news - because this is Utah. Winds gusted to 105 on the mountain peaks, and hit 83 at the Great Salt Lake Marina. Hardly topped 60 mph here in Ogden, though.

My tomato and pepper plants are inside Wall of Water tubes (amazing tools, those) so they're safe even if it freezes tonight - which it might. Snap peas are six inches tall already.

FN in MT
04-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Hadn't cast ANY slugs since last summer. Finally got the furnace and the moulds out of storage and had at it today. To say it was a less than PRODUCTIVE six hours would be putting it mildly.

I had volunteered to cast for a friend, his pair of single cavity molds one for a .45-70 an older Lyman mold, the other for his .40 Sharps, that one an RCBS. I could NOT get either mould to fill out. I was using a 17-1 lead/tin mix as he requested.

Tried everything I had in my limited bag of tricks. Cooled both molds after a few hours, took them inside and scrubbed them with HOT water and some ammonia. Went out and again...crappy slugs.

Went HOT...then COOLER. Played with the sprue plate, even switched handles. Fluxed probably fifty times. Even dug out some beeswax and some Marveflux thinking my old candles may have not been doing the job. NO JOY.

Even tried the KROIL trick I read about the other day. THAT did allow me to do 120 truly mediocre slugs for the .45-70 .

With my tail between my legs I dug out my old 4 cavity Lyman #429421 and immediately upon warming the mold cast a few hundred perfect slugs.

I've never tried the 17 to 1 mix so maybe that was the deal.

Snow/Rain tommorow so I'll be at it again. Bought one of the 260 gr LEE custom 6 cavity Keith molds for .430" last year...haven't tried it yet.

FN in MT

sniper
04-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Rocky: WHERE are you?? It's snowing here! Ohhhh...you posted yesterday. Prolly showing on you , too.

Gettin' warm enough to get the pot and moulds out.

I got my Hollowpointer from JiminPhx, and used it . Works a treat, now my Hornady swaged 158gr. SWC will expand, altho I don't expect my RCBS 162 gr... ~about 156gr. after hollowpointing... to do very well with my hard alloy. We will see.

Rocky Raab
04-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Ogden. Yup, brief snow showers going through this morning.

Got a haircut this morning, will likely clean guns, load some ammo, and dust the bullets I made yesterday with mica if the LLA is dry.

bigboredad
04-29-2010, 09:41 PM
sniper

your hollow point should work great as long as you don't want penetration as well:bigsmyl2:

Ekalb2000
04-29-2010, 10:10 PM
We took one of our co-workers down to the sporting goods store. She fingered alot of pistols. She really likes the Ruger 22/45. She is looking for a plinking/trail gun. Tomorrow, going to take her accross town to another shop that has more selection and better prices.
I have converted four non-ers to owners in a year.

qajaq59
04-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Rocky, any day I wake up breathing is a good day! And the weather here has been in the 80s.