PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Ammunition/ Primers!

ept000
04-28-2010, 02:59 PM
I have been waiting and waiting for a packet that was promised to me by Wolf Ammunition. In the packet was to be shipping tags for me to send back the empty boxes from the last batch of defective primers, and their guarantee says they would refund my money. I have traded emails and phone calls for quite some time now and now this morning I was told that unless I get a hazmat license and ship the primers back to them on my dime, they will not refund my money, or stand behind their guarantee. The cost of a hazmat license is more than the cost of the primers, so they know nobody is going to ship primers back, so now I'm stuck. I told them they need to take their guarantee off the web site and their packaging since it's no longer true. He said the guarantee now only applies to loaded ammunition. They no longer guarantee any of their components.

mike in co
04-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I have been waiting and waiting for a packet that was promised to me by Wolf Ammunition. In the packet was to be shipping tags for me to send back the empty boxes from the last batch of defective primers, and their guarantee says they would refund my money. I have traded emails and phone calls for quite some time now and now this morning I was told that unless I get a hazmat license and ship the primers back to them on my dime, they will not refund my money, or stand behind their guarantee. The cost of a hazmat license is more than the cost of the primers, so they know nobody is going to ship primers back, so now I'm stuck. I told them they need to take their guarantee off the web site and their packaging since it's no longer true. He said the guarantee now only applies to loaded ammunition. They no longer guarantee any of their components.

ok one thing at a time.
wolf ammunition and wolf primers have nothing in common other than they are MARKETED by the same company:WOLF.

WOLF is a marketing company for russian small arms stuff....they make nothing.

lol why do you need a hazmat tag or lic for EMPTY BOXES ???

you need to find a fedex or ups outlet that will ship hazmat, and have the tags go through them.

now, what makes you think your primers are bad ??

to date we have found that every case of so called bad primers was either a gun issue or a seating issue.

i have sold over 400,000 and use a bunch myself....no compaints, no failure to fire.

does that mean there are no bad primers, no. i'd guess every maker has had a bad primer or two. stuff happens, but i'd suspect the gun or the user before the primer.

and why is this posted in RELOADING EQUIPTMENT ?
mike in co

ept000
04-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Sorry Mike, I couldn't find a better section.

I would have to have a hazmat because they are no longer accepting the empty boxes, and now require you to ship the boxes AND the primers back. To ship primers you need a hazmat.

I am certain this batch of primer are bad because I have loaded tens of thousands of Wolf primers. They WERE my "go to" primer, and in the past have worked very well. This batch however does not. I have not altered my loading procedure, and in fact when I use primers from an older batch all the problems go away. I am shooting these through two Glock 19's both with factory firing pin springs. In fact both guns are completely stock. Also, the rep from Wolf told be they changed the cups on thier primers.

I know every company can have a bad batch, but Wolf not standing behind thier product is what makes me angry. And it's why I will no longer buy Wolf products.

felix
04-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes, they are changing cups to meet the new mil spec. Federal did that several years ago. That is all I know. I have not obtained any new primers since that spec had been issued, and I will not until all the **** settles down. ... felix

mooman76
04-28-2010, 08:19 PM
UPS should ship them for you. They ship live ammo for people.

ept000
04-28-2010, 09:14 PM
loaded ammo is classified different than primers or powder.

ANeat
04-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Yep, ammo is ORMD, primers and powder are Hazmat

Lloyd Smale
04-29-2010, 07:03 AM
I had problmes with a batch i had too. Some were even missing anivils and many had weak primer mixtures. I contacted them once they answered they didnt know of any problems and then never returned another email when i asked to have them replaced. I tried a bunch of times. I wouldnt buy water in a desert from them again. Ive got 5 cases of wolf 762x39 ammo and when its gone i wont buy another box of it either.

mike in co
04-29-2010, 07:10 AM
have either of you two, tried taking back to the dealer and have the dealer deal with it ?

are both of these bad batches the new copper colored cups ??

thanks
mike in co

Recluse
04-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I had problmes with a batch i had too. Some were even missing anivils and many had weak primer mixtures.

Same thing happened to me as well.

But a few of the residents here told me that Wolf primers were perfect and to just seat them deeper. . .

:coffee:

sheepdog
04-29-2010, 11:00 AM

Zomg Russians aren't trustworthy?! Say it ain't so.

ept000
04-29-2010, 11:06 AM
This new batch is a mixture of brass colored, and silver colored. I'm going to contact Powder Valley, which is where I bought them, and see what they have to say.

StarMetal
04-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm shooting the new Wolf primer and have nary a problem with them. No anvils loose, all of them fire, and in my opinion they are equal of american primer I've used previously. That's not an anti American statement either. For one they were the only primers I could get from Wideners and for two they were substantially cheaper. I have no problems with Wolf primers. Now their ammo is another matter entirely.

Recluse
04-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm shooting the new Wolf primer and have nary a problem with them. No anvils loose, all of them fire, and in my opinion they are equal of american primer I've used previously. That's not an anti American statement either. For one they were the only primers I could get from Wideners and for two they were substantially cheaper. I have no problems with Wolf primers. Now their ammo is another matter entirely.

Joe, I agree.

I have another box of Wolf small pistol primers. Had the same seating problems in .38 Special nickel casings--but not in the brass casings. No misfires in the brass casings, but did (again) in the nickel casings. Put the primed casings under a magnifyer, then a 20x magnifyer and there are good primer strikes. Compared to fired casings, you'd need an electron microscope to measure any difference in primer seating depth, so go figure.

Now, with that said, I loaded up several hundred 9mm for just plinking. Since I've yet to get a satisfactory 9mm load using lead--and have given up on ever getting a satisfactory load using lead--I only load for general plinking and noisemaking. (My serious 9mm ammo is all handloaded with jacketed bullets.)

I fired most of them through my Taurus 92 and fully expected to have some FTFs. I had some trigger and hammer work done on the gun back in my LE days--just to make it run smooooooth, which it does.

To my surprise and delight, not a single FTF. Thinking this can't be, I pulled out the Browning Hi-Power FN. . . not a single FTF

I KNOW I got a bad box of (Wolf small pistol) primers previously, because like Lloyd, I had primers that were missing their anvils. Wolf simply did not give a damn. Period.

So, I'll be as loyal to Wolf as they are to shooters. So long as they're available and Winchester and/or CCI isn't, I'll buy them. But ANYTIME I'm given the choice, I'll buy ANYTHING but Wolf.

Seems fair enough to me.

Big Dave
04-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the commentary on Wolf primers, I have been attracted by the price and availability but hadn't goten desparate enough to try them. Gues now I won't. Just try to keep stockeed up on CCI and Federal whenever I find them

Thanks guys

Big Dave

mike in co
04-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the commentary on Wolf primers, I have been attracted by the price and availability but hadn't goten desparate enough to try them. Gues now I won't. Just try to keep stockeed up on CCI and Federal whenever I find them

Thanks guys

Big Dave

WHY ???

we have had people talk about bad cci's...........someone bad mouthing rem.....

its a component...they seldom go bad, seldom produced as bad.

mike in co

45nut
04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
OK,,
I just got off the phone with the Wolf Company and the bottom line is they will replace defective primers and pay shipping costs both ways if needed, but UPS and FED EX ,, ok,, the HAZ MAT thing is what skews things.

I did get word that if the customer can drop them with a distributor they can also find a way to get the primers replaced.

Wolf is stuck between the same rock and hard place we all are regarding the HM thing, obviously there are huge hurdles nowadays for us all when shipping items deemed "dangerous" by the .gov for any reason. Wolf cannot be held responsible for laws and regs that serve only to put extra costs and hurdles for us ALL.

Chalk it up to another insane consequence from .gov impeding commerce and free trade.

StarMetal
04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Joe, I agree.

I have another box of Wolf small pistol primers. Had the same seating problems in .38 Special nickel casings--but not in the brass casings. No misfires in the brass casings, but did (again) in the nickel casings. Put the primed casings under a magnifyer, then a 20x magnifyer and there are good primer strikes. Compared to fired casings, you'd need an electron microscope to measure any difference in primer seating depth, so go figure.

Now, with that said, I loaded up several hundred 9mm for just plinking. Since I've yet to get a satisfactory 9mm load using lead--and have given up on ever getting a satisfactory load using lead--I only load for general plinking and noisemaking. (My serious 9mm ammo is all handloaded with jacketed bullets.)

I fired most of them through my Taurus 92 and fully expected to have some FTFs. I had some trigger and hammer work done on the gun back in my LE days--just to make it run smooooooth, which it does.

To my surprise and delight, not a single FTF. Thinking this can't be, I pulled out the Browning Hi-Power FN. . . not a single FTF

I KNOW I got a bad box of (Wolf small pistol) primers previously, because like Lloyd, I had primers that were missing their anvils. Wolf simply did not give a damn. Period.

So, I'll be as loyal to Wolf as they are to shooters. So long as they're available and Winchester and/or CCI isn't, I'll buy them. But ANYTIME I'm given the choice, I'll buy ANYTHING but Wolf.

Seems fair enough to me.

You probably know I do a lot of 6.5x54MS and 6.5 Swede shooting. With that said I've gone through literally hundred of thousand Wolf primer testing those two rifle and while loading to feed other calibers that are casual shooters for me. Next up is as many Wolfs again through the five 30 Lugers I have. Then there's the 9mm's and 357's. Throw in the 45acp's and 45 Colts. Today out with the Colt HBAR. Now years ago I did have some large rifle primers that I dropped one on the floor and the anvil popped out. Not anymore. I'm having zero problems with Wolfs now. By the way Wolfs are either harder cups or slightly larger because they seat hard. The subtle signs you get from flatten primers on pressure is a whole new learning experience with Wolf primers, at least the large rifle ones.

crowbuster
04-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Good on ya Ken for takin the bull by the horns, I for one appreciate the effort.

C.B.

Lively Boy
04-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I was forced to buy wolf primmers. but have to say for my 32 s&w longs 9mm 45 auto 38/357s they have been flawless. and beats paying 5$ per 100. will buy again. wonder if they will make #11 caps...?

Baldy
05-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I just bought 10,000 LP's by Wolf and the first 1,000 are firing OK. I couldn't find any others.

Sarg
05-05-2010, 11:26 AM
I have found missing anvils and such in some small pistol primers, but not too many out of several thousand. I have also had a friend that bought some 7.62x39 ammo that was having a 25% fail to fire rate with the ammo out of multiple guns. Good strikes just failed ignition. Something is definitely going on at the plant over there.

Sarg

StarMetal
05-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I have found missing anvils and such in some small pistol primers, but not too many out of several thousand. I have also had a friend that bought some 7.62x39 ammo that was having a 25% fail to fire rate with the ammo out of multiple guns. Good strikes just failed ignition. Something is definitely going on at the plant over there.

Sarg

The 7.62x39 ammo is has exceedingly hard primers for a purpose. I would discount any firearm used to shoot it having failure to fire it if they aren't an Ak or SKS type. Failure fire most often do show what appears to be a good primer strike.

Crash_Corrigan
05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I have been buying Wolf primers for the past 3 years. Cheaper and albiet somewhat more difficult to seat they get the job done at a lot better price.

I have not had any Wolf primers fail in over 75K used in the last 4 years. Effective and cheap they are...I started to experiment with them some years ago but I was not sure until 3 years ago.

They are so good that my carry ammo is primed with them.

mike in co
05-05-2010, 10:41 PM

Sarg

AGAIN ..I HAVE SAID MANY TIMES....

WOLF AMMO AND WOLF PRIMERS HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON OTHER THAN BEING MARKETED UNDER THE WOLF NAME.
they are not made by the same company nor at the same plant.

not related....is that clear ???

jsizemore
05-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Does Wolf ammo use Wolf primers?

jdgabbard
05-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Ive got 5 cases of wolf 762x39 ammo and when its gone i wont buy another box of it either.

If you don't want it I'll be happy to take it off your hands...