PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Tru-line Jr

bb07
04-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi all.I just bought a Tru-line Jr with compound leverage & 4 shellholders.I haven't got it yet but it's on it's way.The pics I've seen of it show that it's in excellent condition.
I'm not real sure why I bought it other than I have a serious weakness for old tools.I'm also a big fan of 310 tools,which is how I ended up here.Included as
part of the deal is a 310 handle,2 inserts & a 5 piece die set for .30-30.Total cost was $50.I'm not sure if that is a good price or not but it seemed pretty reasonable to me.
Anyone else out there have the Tru-line?I'd like to hear your thoughts/opinions on it.I know adapters are available to use 7/8-14 dies but would prefer to use it as originally intended with the small dies as I have an Orange Crusher already.Thanks.

mdi
04-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Don't now what collectors would say, but I'd have paid $50 for it. I have a couple 310 handles and incomplete die sets somewhere...

3006guns
04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a Tru Line......neat little press. Note the word "little". There are conversion turrets sold for these presses that will allow you to use 7/8 x 14 dies, but understand this....the Tru Line is a rather small and "springy" unit. It was designed to neck size only and for that it's excellent, but full length resizing puts a lot of pressure on those castings that they weren't really designed to take. You've been warned!

I WOULD invest in a shell holder converter however, to allow the use of RCBS type holders instead of the original set screw type.

You'll enjoy the press. It's small enough that it begs to be taken into the field on camping/hunting/range trips where it can be mounted or even C clamped to a convenient surface, then pack it away when your done. Especially good for pistol calibers. Oh, the price is good!

Edit: Contact "the 310 shop". You'll find all your questions answered there, along with spare parts.

scrapcan
04-28-2010, 01:55 PM
you are headed down the slippery slope. Before it is done you will have to have one of the early style presses also. You better find the lyman 55 to mate to it. and......

Nice little presses to use and the dies you got with it makes it a neat set to use.

If any of you find a set of dies and original J shell holder for 32 S&W long let me know.

Green Frog
04-28-2010, 02:04 PM
bb07, I see that you are new to the board, so before repeating the things that have been said here for the past couple of years, I would suggest that you might want to go back through recent threads discussing this very topic and see what has already been said. This is not to be rude but to give you the opportunity to mine the wealth of information that is on this board already and become familiar with what is available. Also, after seeing what has already been said, you will be able to ask specific questions of those of us who are already familiar with the little TruLine Jr and take a lot of details for granted. :brokenima

In answer to your specific questions, the .30/30 dies for the 310 tool will probably work fine on your TL Jr, as most rifle dies usually do. Keep in mind that the TL Jr die sets for pistols include a full length sizing die instead of the neck sizer only die found in the 310 tool sets. The J-type shell holders used on the TL Jr use the same number code as is current for the X-type used now, so you will need a #6 shell holder for the .30/30, and if you go to some of the frequently loaded rounds you will probably also want a #1 for the .38 Spl family, a #2 for the .45 ACP/ .30-06 sizes, and whatever other rounds you want. The conversion unit to use "modern" shellholders takes up space and makes you lose travel range necessary for the longest cartridges you might want to load. :neutral:

The TL Jr is a great little press if you keep its size and rigidity limits in mind. I personally have loaded rounds from .32 S&W through .45-70 on some of the several I currently own and have never been disappointed yet. As for the money you paid for it, you are way ahead, IMHO, since I have sold similar presses set up for a single caliber and nothing else for about the same amount. Feel free to PM me after you have looked through the archives if you have specific questions you want answered. :coffeecom

Froggie

PS Wayne the Shrink just started a thread recently entitled something like, "I just bought..." which covers this very press and setting it up. A good place to start. :mrgreen:

scrapcan
04-28-2010, 02:25 PM
here is the link to the thread Green Frog mentioned

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81901

bb07
04-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks to you all for the info.Much appreciated! Green Frog,you just answered my next question about shell holder numbers.Thank you!I was searching & using google but couldn't find what I wanted.I will do as you suggest & do a search & lots of reading for relevant past threads.

ktw
04-28-2010, 04:15 PM
I have 310 die sets and handles for most of the cartridges that I load. Still looking for a good deal on 300 Savage dies if someone has them, have extra 257 Rbts dies if anyone needs them.

I have four Truline Jr presses, all compound linkage. I keep one set up for each of the handgun cartridges I load (32 H&R, 38 Spcl, 45 Colt, 45 ACP). They hang upside down on a pegboard when not in use and get C-clamped to the bench when I need one. I find them to be nicely scaled for handgun cartridges and hard to beat for assembling handgun ammo.

I tend to size/decap with 7/8x14 carbide dies on a little Lee Reloader C press when returning from the range. I find the 310 dies size brass down pretty aggressively, more so than my modern dies, so I don't size with them in order to extend brass life and the Lee Reloader handles the spent primers better. I prefer to prime in batches with a hand primer. Everything after that (neck expand, powder drop, seat and crimp) gets done on the Truelines. I have enough extra seat/crimp dies that I do it in two steps at different stations.

The Trulines are a little short between the shellholder and the die plate for some of the longer rifle cartridges. This lack of space is even worse if you are using one of the J-to-X shellholder converters. 30-30 should work. Anything longer may be cramped.

I have been doing all of my rifle cartridges on a Lee Classic Cast Turret. However, I recently scored a great deal on a like-new Lyman All American press so I will set that up to do at least one of them, probably 30-30.

-ktw

mtnman31
04-28-2010, 07:26 PM
I have 310 die sets and handles for most of the cartridges that I load. Still looking for a good deal on 300 Savage dies if someone has them, have extra 257 Rbts dies if anyone needs them.

-ktw

Question concerning 310 die sets for rifle, specifically neck sizing. Couldn't, say a .30 caliber size die be used for any other .30 cal cartridge? Since the dies are just neck sizing and the rest of the cartridge is untouched, you'd think that a neck sizer for one cartridge of a specific caliber would work for others. For example would a 30-06 neck sizer work with a .308 cartridge? (I am using a general assumption that the rest of the cartridge fit into the die. i.e. the die was short enough to allow the .308 case to reach the sizing area.)

I realize that many necks of a similar caliber are different thickness, and the question is asking about cartridge necks of a similar thickness.
example
30-06 neck dia. - .340"
.308 neck dia. - .343"
Obviously, trying to use a .308 neck sizer on a 7.5 Swiss (neck dia. .330") would likely not work too well.

Is the answer obvious or am I completely overlooking something? I ask because I want to use my Tru-line to reload some 6.5 Carcano, but alas I have no Carcano dies. Since I'd only be neck sizing, would I be able to use another 6.5 cal die set to get the job done?

ktw
04-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Is the answer obvious or am I completely overlooking something? I ask because I want to use my Tru-line to reload some 6.5 Carcano, but alas I have no Carcano dies. Since I'd only be neck sizing, would I be able to use another 6.5 cal die set to get the job done?

I think you are correct, but I have yet to try it.

I have been thinking about putting together a set for 6X45 out of a 243 Win die set (neck sizer, neck expander, DA seat/crimp) and a 222 die set (shell holder, tool adapter ring and priming chamber) but have never made work of acquiring the necessary donor sets.

Most of the die bodies could probably be shortened enough to work, but I doubt I'd be able to overcome the issue of different neck lengths and getting the crimp function to work correctly.

-ktw

Green Frog
04-28-2010, 09:49 PM
KTW, I see the 300 Savage dies on flea-bay pretty often, in fact I believe there is at least one set at auction now. As for using dies from different cartridges with similar neck size to load odd stuff, in the words of Fred ("Hunter") Dryer, "Works for me!" :wink:

The only thing about the .30/300/303/308 sizes is that there are so many neck diameter and length variations. :veryconfu

Mtnman31, I may have a set of 6.5 Swede, would you like me to check?? :?:

Froggie

ktw
04-28-2010, 10:56 PM
I was doing so well - hadn't been to Ebay in over a year and life was good. Green Frog sends over there to look and now I have a watch list as long as my arm again.

-ktw

scrapcan
04-29-2010, 12:23 PM
KTW,

I will look in my stuff I may have a set for 300 sav and I know I have two sets for 243 if you are intersested we could work on a trade.

I have turned down a truline jr. 45acp full length die that was used in an adapter on a 7/8x14 press. The base of the die where it protruded below the adapter split about .23 inches. I turned that off using a small unimat and hss tool bit. So it should be doable.

45 2.1
04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Mtnman31, I may have a set of 6.5 Swede, would you like me to check?? :?: Froggie

Hi Froggie-
If Mtnman31 isn't interested......... I am as the Swede is one of my specialties.

Big Dave
04-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Have my dad's tru line jr he bought new when he got back into reloading in 1957. Lots of the little dies for it and use it all the time. Very nice for priming most anything, get a good feel for whats happening that a heavier press doesn't give. about the only thing it won't do is full length size. neck sizing and bullet seating are fine, also have dad's lyman comet and my Herters #3 and an RCBS o press with lots of 7/8 14 dies for them. Don't load high volume so the single station presses are good. Those little guys are a nice addition to anybodys bench but I have doubts about their being ridgid enough to stand up under a conversion turret plate and full length sizing larger cases though I used to have a 22 hornet die set in the small dies with a full length die and it worked OK. Probably work for 9mm and 38 but if converted you would want to avoid trying to size anything larger.

Big Dave

Green Frog
04-29-2010, 02:48 PM
I was doing so well - hadn't been to Ebay in over a year and life was good. Green Frog sends over there to look and now I have a watch list as long as my arm again.

-ktw

:bigsmyl2: Gotcha! :bigsmyl2:

I think I have enough stuff in my chowder box to assemble the 6x45 set you are describing, but it will be Mon or Tues before I can dig that stuff out as I have a match this weekend.

Froggie

mtnman31
04-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Green Frog, I sent you a PM about the dies.

ktw
04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
manleyjt & Green Frog, thanks for the offers. I'm watching a few deals on Ebay that will close in a couple of days. Prices are looking good a day or two out but in the likely event that they go way high in the last 10 minutes I will get back to you sometime next week.

-ktw

bubba.50
04-29-2010, 09:18 PM
bb07, let me know if ya wanna get rid of the "thuddy-thuddy" dies. also if someone has a set for 35rem i'd be interested. thanks and apologies for the slight hi-jack, bubba.

bb07
05-01-2010, 10:34 AM
bb07, let me know if ya wanna get rid of the "thuddy-thuddy" dies. also if someone has a set for 35rem i'd be interested. thanks and apologies for the slight hi-jack, bubba.

I plan to keep them,but thanks for asking.If I decide to sell them any time in the future you will have first chance.Got everything in the mail yesterday & am very happy.The .30-30 dies look as new,& the press is in fantastic shape.
I knew it would be small but I was still surprised at how tiny it is.Cute as a button!

Green Frog
05-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I plan to keep them,but thanks for asking.If I decide to sell them any time in the future you will have first chance.Got everything in the mail yesterday & am very happy.The .30-30 dies look as new,& the press is in fantastic shape.
I knew it would be small but I was still surprised at how tiny it is.Cute as a button!

If you look in some of the older Ideal/Lyman reloading manuals, you will find one set up at a bencrest match supposedly in the trunk of what appears to be an old Chrysler Aireflow or some such. You can indeed put together a quite compact bench setup around one of these "cute" little presses. I mounted one on a short length of 2X4 and can C-clamp it to a bench at the range. That never fails to get a reaction!! Have fun and stay in touch as you discover the joys of using it.

Froggie