PDA

View Full Version : Bullet lube question

Kermit2
04-28-2010, 12:15 PM
I have some commercial cast .357 bullets that I'd like to melt down and recast. The bullets have been lubed with a pretty solid lube. The bullets are a bevel base bullet. I've tried them in both .38 special and .357 magnum loads with several different powders. I can't get them to group very well. They'll do okay for qualifications on silhouette targets out to maybe 25 yards, but that's about it. Since I purchased these bullets I've begun casting my own, and my flat base SWC's outperform the commercial bullets.

If I put the commercial cast & lubed bullets in my melting pot what happens to the lube on the bullets? Is it going to make a big mess in my melting pot? All information will be appreciated. Thank you.

mdi
04-28-2010, 12:33 PM
My experience is that the lube will burn off, kinda acting like a flux. No problems. I too bought a bunch of cast .358" bullets that are nearly worthless. I've melted them down, and some I dropped (carefully) into the melt during a casting session with no adverse effects.

geargnasher
04-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Just load up your cold pot with them and turn it on. That lube works as a really good flux/reducant as the boolits melt. Are they really hard? You might consider adding some softer range scrap or stick-on WW while you're at it unless you're going to push them really hard.

Gear

Kermit2
04-28-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm not certain what the Brinnell rating of these bullets is. They were made by Bushwacker Bullet Co. and are a 158 grain SWC bevel base and the box says they are for .38 spl. I suspect they would probably be rated at 12.

If anyone could tell me what the Brinnell rating of these bullets is I'd appreciate it. Are they quite a bit harder than bullets cast wheel weights? Thanks.

runfiverun
04-29-2010, 03:42 PM
i'd guess 2% tin and 6% antimony.
thats pretty standard. it's called terracorp magnum alloy.
bhn about 15-16.
if you look at magma engineering's websight i bet you'll find the mold.
it's one that coulda been good, it just ain't.