PDA

View Full Version : Adaptg Dillon Low Primer Warning to Hornady L-N-L

omgb
07-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I received my Dillon Early Warning device today. It looks simple enough. A plastic box that clamps around the primer feed shield. There's a plastic follower rod that drops down the primer feed tube. It has a weighted plastic knob on top and when the primers get low, the knob bears down on a thin plastic lever that in turn, presses a recessed button in the unit. A warning buzzer then sounds until the rod is lifted back up.

Fitting it to the Hornady press was simple. Dillon uses a knurled metal knob to cap the primer shield and hold the primer tube in place. Hornady uses a split poly plastic cap that fits down into the shield and captures the tube in the middle. All I had to do was (1) wrap tape around the Hornady cap until it was big enough in diameter to snuggly accept the Dillon warning device. Then, (2) as the Dillon primer tubes are shorter than the Hornady, I had to snip 1.25 inches off the end of the follower. This was easy since Dillon makes it out of plastic. Simple as pie and now I've got an early warning device letting me know when primers are low. Total cost with shipping was $29.00

I had previously been using a length of 1/8" piano wire with a rubber O ring slid down. When the O ring was flush with the top of the Primer Shield Cap, I knew I had 5 primers left. I set the Dillon unit up the same way. There are five stations on the press so when the buzzer sounds, I turn off the case feed and run the tool head dry.

This was a slick fix and I heartily recommend it. It sure beats heck out of cleaning up dribbled powder when I run out of primers.

j4570
07-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I could have made you a deal on my Dillon early warning device. I quit using it years ago. On a Dillon, you can feel when it runs out of primers, no need for the device in my opinion. Actually, I'll keep it, might be handy to train the kids in years to come.

However, I do use the follower rod which helps the primers feed I think.

However, I do like your ingenuity of adapting it. I didn't like the Dillon powder measures and setup one toolhead with and RCBS Case activated linkage kit and measure for IMR extruded powder. Works very well.

JW

PatMarlin
07-23-2006, 10:07 PM
My Dillon warning battery has been working since 1996.. :mrgreen:

Hey- can ya expand on that RCBS/Dillon powder measure setup? (not as in case expansion, but rather the details and components of your setup)

omgb
07-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Given the way in which the Hornady LnL measure works, I can't see why one couldn't be screwed into place on a Dillon tool head.

j4570
07-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Probably easiest to take a pic. It's cheaper to buy a Dillon Powder measure, but they don't work well with IMR powder. I tested 4320 (which is pretty short) and loaded to 0.2 grain variation in 7x57, 7.5x55, and 8x57. Good Enough for me, and my loads aren't near max anyway.

Give me a couple days. I just had to get a new computer, I've been down for about 5 days.

JW

omgb
07-27-2006, 09:21 PM
According to Paul Jones, not the mould maker but the Star tool rep, the Dillon measure is just a rehash of the old Star powder measure and as such, was designed to work best with flake and ball type pistol powders.

j4570
08-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Here's the pic of the RCBS Measure on Dillon (use this setup at your own risk):

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5523/rcbsmeasurecomplj5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

David R
08-10-2006, 05:59 AM
That is a cool adapter.

I don't need or use the primer alarm, but I always use the plastic rod that came with it. Its just like a meter of how much I have left.

I also put the rod in the primer tube before I load them in the magazine. It helps push the primers in and the air out.

David