PDA

View Full Version : Help 35 GC 357

asw1911pc@aol.com
04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
When I install the GC on the bottom of the boolit and place it on the die its not straight. new to gas check

Blammer
04-27-2010, 06:09 PM
push it on with your fingers, see if it will snap on. try to get it level, then when you run it through the sizer it should finish seating and level it too.

if not and it's loose when you seat it to size it, get it as straight as you can, should work fine.

asw1911pc@aol.com
04-27-2010, 07:34 PM
I did that and when it comes out its not straight on the bullet and its deformed on the edge that is not straight. soon this RCBS mold will be for sale.

edsmith
04-28-2010, 03:29 PM
is your boolit a flat nose? if so drill a 2" length of alu. stock so a .357 boolit with a gas check will fit in hole,then use a rod that justs fits the hole and tap on the nose so the check will be seated.thats what I do,it seats them very well.

Smokin7mm
04-28-2010, 04:53 PM
When I install the GC on the bottom of the boolit and place it on the die its not straight. new to gas check

Do you have a gas check seater with your lubrisizer? Your bullet shank could be a tight fit in the GC and when you try to size the bullet it starts closing the gas check as it goes down in the die before the bullet is fully seated which leaves it crumpled on one edge and not square with the base of the bullet. Which lubrisizer are you using? If it is a lyman they make a gas check seater the slides in below the die and stops the bullet from entering the die. This allows the gas check to seat fully before it is sized. Once all the gas checks are seated then remove the gas check seater and size and lube as normal.

Bret.

asw1911pc@aol.com
04-28-2010, 06:42 PM
I am not that fancy yet. I am useing alox and a Lee sizer die 358. I place the GC on the bottom of the bullet and place it on the Lee press and pull the handle. If this wrong let me know. Money is tight daughter going to FDU

GrizzLeeBear
04-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Sounds like the gas check shank on your boolit is a little "fat". Put the gas check on your bench set the boolit on it and push down to seat the boolit into the check. Make sure its square. Then put it on the push rod and run it thru the die.
If the shank is too fat to seat the check before running it into the die, go to the Vendor section and look at the NOE gas check seating die and gas check swager;

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66250

pcw65d
04-29-2010, 07:56 AM
I had the same problem. Try getting your alloy a little hotter before you cast. The lead should shrink a little more allowing better fit of the gas checks.

If the GC won't fit square by hand, I use a pair of channel locks on the nose and base to pinch it on. This will leave marring on the nose, but it is only cosmetic. If it take more than light pressure to seat the check, I throw the bullet back in the pot for melting.

Also, are you running the bullet through the sizer base first or nose first? I also use a lee sizer and the GCs look better if run through base first.

asw1911pc@aol.com
04-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Which RCBS mold are you using?

What brand are the gas checks ?

Have you used these same checks on any other 357 mold ?

Jerry

RCBS MOLD 38 158GC # 082065

HORNADY 35 GC #7110

This is the 1st time I am using a GC bullet mold.

asw1911pc@aol.com
04-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I think I solved the problem. If I run it base first the problem went away. I was going head first DAH. thanks pcw65D