PDA

View Full Version : LLA lube, my mess...

yobohadi
04-27-2010, 01:26 PM
After loading up your ammo do you clean off the LLA from the tips of your bullets? And if you do how are you doing it?

I tried to wipe it off with a rag and that seems to take forever. I tried throwing them in the tumbler and all it did was attract the dust in the tumbler, which caked to the LLA like grout and was really hard to remove. It caked so well that the bullets wouldn't even chanber in my 40 S&W... Good thing I only tried it on 100, I will remember to use a smaller test group next time I try something that brilliant. I guess the good news is it helped to clean up the corn media a bit.

Anyone have an easier solution which requires less elbow grease?

shdwlkr
04-27-2010, 01:43 PM
go to the beginning of this section and read Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free it will answer all your questions and even has some excellent pics of what it should look like at each step.

yobohadi
04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
I should add that I try to get a light coat, but I have to lube it twice. Lube, size in a lee size die, then lube again which leaves a thin coat on the bands but gives it more of a build up where the sizer die didn't touch.

geargnasher
04-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Beerloaf, if you go read the sticky in this section that that shdwlkr referenced you will get what he was talking about. Try it, it works.
You aren't the only one that has this problem.

Gear

yobohadi
04-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Ok, I did cut it with some mineral spirits, maybe the key to it is the JPW... I will give it a shot, thanks!

geargnasher
04-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Both JPW and correct "thinness" are key, the stuff should flow like engine oil at room temperature. Good luck!

Gear

prickett
04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
After loading up your ammo do you clean off the LLA from the tips of your bullets? And if you do how are you doing it?

I tried to wipe it off with a rag and that seems to take forever. I tried throwing them in the tumbler and all it did was attract the dust in the tumbler, which caked to the LLA like grout and was really hard to remove. It caked so well that the bullets wouldn't even chanber in my 40 S&W... Good thing I only tried it on 100, I will remember to use a smaller test group next time I try something that brilliant. I guess the good news is it helped to clean up the corn media a bit.

Anyone have an easier solution which requires less elbow grease?

Ha! Had to check to see if I'd posted this. I did EXACTLY the same thing with exactly the same results :-(

I ended up putting mineral spirits on a paper towel and wiped it off. Tedious.

mdi
04-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I use a mineral spirits dampened cloth to wipe the boolits during the final inspection. I picks one up, I looks it over as I wipes it off, den puts it in de box...

thx997303
04-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Dang Gear, my LLA/JPW is solid at room temp.

Works great in my 45-70 Maybe I used too much JPW :roll: