PDA

View Full Version : 22 hornet

primersp
04-27-2010, 05:09 AM
no lucky with cast in cz fox old model in 22 hornet .
cast a C.B.E 224-40 gc size at 225 try several fast burning powder ,
try with vita n110 a bit less than jacket
i will obtain a 4 inch circle at 50 m ,with sierra 45 grs is 1/2 inch at 100m
barrel clean ,no key holling
what do?
THANKS
andre

303Guy
04-27-2010, 05:56 AM
primersp

Can you give us more details, like the alloy type and hardness and the powder charges you used? Cose-up pictures of the boolit and loaded round would help us too. Were the case necks sized the same as for the Sierra's? You might try seating the cast boolits in unsized necks. You could also try a filler over the power - one that will form a 'wad' under the boolit on firing. I have not tried this yet.

I have never had great success with my cast boolits in a hornet. But my castings were not very good. However, I did a lot better than 4 inches at 50yds. I think I got that at 200m. I was using 55gr RCBS with G/C.

Nobade
04-27-2010, 07:42 AM
I had a Sako hornet that refused to shoot well. I decided the combination of slow twist and long, large throat was the problem. A bullet light enough to stabilize couldn't be seated to be supported by the throat and still be in the case, and there was a lot of blowby before it was sealed into the bore. On the other hand, my Contenders and Handi rifle have 1:12 twist and normal rifle style throats. They shoot cast exceptionally well, normally sub MOA at whatever speed I care to drive them to. A hornet can shoot, but it's got to be dimensioned properly. The Sako finally works now, but I had to rebarrel it to make it so.

primersp
04-27-2010, 12:06 PM
hello
i think also i have a long throat
all bullets are more than LOA,i load by hand not by the magazine .
cast for alliage of commercial pistol bullets ( it's was given to me in a caliber that i don't have)
water quench .
neck size ,flare with a lee die ,the tiny case is often bugle in one side by the bullet
try with and less filler (kapock)it's my second rifle who don't shoot well with cast the other is a ruger 257 tang safety .
i don't know how put pics on the forum.
bullets weight 44 grs with check and lube loverin shape 4 grease grooves.
thanks for responds

StarMetal
04-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Another thing to try is use small pistol primers instead of small rifle primers. The reason being that the small rifle primers provide just a little too much ignition...that is they possibly blow the powder charge and bullet out of the case before the powder gets a chance to start burning. I found switching really improved my groups. Caution, just don't use small pistol for your jacketed loads especially if the are hot loads.

hipirn
04-28-2010, 12:30 AM
I've loaded thousands of cast bullets in the Hornet and prefer them for pistol silhouette but they are usually in the 55 gr weight, RCBS or Lyman. Pistol primers, 8 to 9+ grains of 4227, VV 110 or 120 or Hodg. lil gun.. Water dropped or fairly soft doesn't seem to matter a lot if they are good sharp bullets with gas checks. It sounds like you've got a equipment problem if your bulging one side of the necks with seated bullets. I use an M die and flare the case a little before seating the bullets. You should be able to "see" the loaded bullet but it shouldn't be bulged! I hope your neck sizing and not full length sizing also, that helps. Pinch of powder loads have never worked well for me though some swear by them. I'll bet with a little work you'll find something she likes...... hipirn

GooseGestapo
04-30-2010, 09:16 PM
The Hornet can be a challenge either with cast or jacketed bullets.

I've had my best results with the Hornet with cast bullets with slower burning powders.

SR4759, and #2400 are my favorites. Next are Unique and BlueDot.

I've got a Lyman #225415 that casts to .225-6" @49.5gr and I size it to .225" and lately have been lubing with SPG however previously I always used 50/50 alox-beeswax (Lee, RCBS "rifle", Javelina, ect). And gascheck with the Hornady gaschecks, however the first 1,000 were the non-crimp Lyman.

I flare with a Lyman M-2 (short rifle, with .22 expander), and crimp seperately with the Lee factory crimp die.

With either 7.8gr of SR4759, or 5.8gr of #2400, I get good accuracy and slightly better ballistics than the .22wmr which is optimum for what I've used this rifle for. Someday I hope to spend a few weeks in spring time in Wyoming with a friend and do my part to irradicate the ground squirrel population. I'll probably take reloading "kit" and several thousand of these cast bullets and perhaps ~500 cases. Should be real fun. (With the SR4759, the Lee .7cc measure is about right, and with the #2400 the .5cc is the choice. I've got the Lee handloader I bought in 1976 when I was in college and also a Lee "Special" press set up on a block of wood that can be clamped to most any table....... Let the fun begin.

FWIW; at one time in my L.E. career, I had a Ruger M77/22Hornet "carbine", and used it to dispatch a number of injured deer. The little cast bullet was just perfect for this....

If everything else fails, I found that unsized and un-checked bullets tumble lubed with Lee T-L, and loaded over 3.0gr of Bullseye made a wonderfully accurate (only shot them to 25yds) near duplication of the .22lr. (actually more like the .22wrm "Dynapoints" actually. Just the ticket back when primers and a tad of bullesye were cheaper than CCI "MiniMags". But then, the MiniMags are $7/100, now!!!! And primers are $3.50/100.......0

DLCTEX
05-01-2010, 12:34 AM
I have a Ruger 77/22 hornet and the most accurate load for the 225-438 (weighs 46 gr. checked and lubed) is 8 gr. 2400 for 2200 fps. 3.5 gr. W231 is also a good load for lower velocity. The alloy is straight wheel weights water dropped.

DLCTEX
05-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Oh yes, I use SP primers for the hornet cast loads also.

excavman
05-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I am having similar problems with the 218 Bee. I can't seem to get a good group with cast boolits in either my rifle ( Lil' Sharps ) or revolver ( Taurus M217 12" ). The Sharps has a 16' twist so I had to give up on the 225415 boolit, keyholed. The Taurus doesn't keyhole but a 4" group@100 yds is normal. I will try pistol primers on the next test loads. I have found that slower powders do better, am going to try 5744, see what happens.

Larry

StarMetal
05-05-2010, 07:18 PM
I am having similar problems with the 218 Bee. I can't seem to get a good group with cast boolits in either my rifle ( Lil' Sharps ) or revolver ( Taurus M217 12" ). The Sharps has a 16' twist so I had to give up on the 225415 boolit, keyholed. The Taurus doesn't keyhole but a 4" group@100 yds is normal. I will try pistol primers on the next test loads. I have found that slower powders do better, am going to try 5744, see what happens.

Larry

Larry,

I don't think your 4 inch groups with the Taurus are bad if with iron sights. Have you tried it at say 50 yards to see what the group is?

Xcaliber
05-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Not to change the subject much ..but does anyone here know what would be a good starting point for this 14" barrel? Been casting for it and today just got my sizer and top punch in. Barrel twist is 1:12 , haven't slugged barrel yet . Just want to try .225 sized boolits GC'ed for now when I get the chance to set up the sizer die and punch. Have seen the posts for Rifles and 10" contenders but none on a a 14" barrel. Just want to be pointed towards a powder and primer combo to try when I get ready to . Thanks.

canyon-ghost
05-05-2010, 07:54 PM
My hornet loads for a 10" contender go like this:
Jacketed: 7.9 to 8.0 grains of VV N110
Cast: 7.5 grains of IMR 4227 behind a gas-checked 225438 (45 grain)Lyman. Winchester cases and small rifle primers.

For a 14" just start at 7.0 grains

Ron

Xcaliber
05-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Canyon -Ghost...thanks for the start up info. Been shooting factory boolits for reloads for awhile. Casting for it is new to me. Have also noticed that some shooters use small pistol primers also. What would be better. The mold is the Lyman 225415 -55 gr. mold. Using straight WW for now.

canyon-ghost
05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Xcaliber, you'll find that contenders usually like lighter bullets. My 32-20 prefers a 98 grain RCBS over the Lyman 115. Ya wouldn't think it would make that much difference but, it does. The heavier bullets end up with bigger groups so, if you have trouble, just go the lighter mold.
I used small rifle primers and slow powder, you don't have the chance to double-charge a case that way and it shoots better. A lot of pistol shooters prefer Unique and pistol primers because, they like fast powders and primers. The real difference there is how clean the powder burns, not something that bothers me. I don't care if there's unburnt powder in the barrel between shots as long as I'm hitting the target every time. It's a matter of personal taste, and sometimes experimentation by the IMSHA shooters.

Straight Wheelweight is great in 22 Hornet and gas checked is better.

There are better authorities than myself, I'm sure. But, I have just as much fun.

Ron

Xcaliber
05-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Used to shoot a lot in IHMSA many moons ago. Thanks for the info. Not new to casting ...just new to this one I'm trying to get into. LOL. Have a lot of learning still to do.

Xcaliber
05-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks again. Got your PM.

leadman
05-06-2010, 11:56 PM
primersp, if you can get AA680 or WC680 try that. I have good luck with this and a 45gr Lyman.

A guy at the range was shooting a 22KHornet with 4198 and he was getting good accuracy.

primersp
05-07-2010, 01:02 AM
leadman

here we can find only vectan or vita,i will try like says 303 guy to see if i can seat the bullet in
a fired case ,i don't want by an m die if the rifle don't work with cast ,the bill is heavy for an
50m 4 inches group a CBE mold ,sizer,top punch + checks.
thanks

ANDRE

BudRow
05-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I agree with leadman - AA1680 has given me the best loads.

scrapcan
05-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Andre,

I cannot help on the hornet. i just wanted to say hello. I will watch and listen to what you end up doing.

primersp
05-08-2010, 05:18 AM
thanks JEREMY