PDA

View Full Version : long question

garbear
04-26-2010, 11:24 PM
I have a gp100 in 357 and I cast 158 rf boolits for it.

I am looking at getting another revolver. Okay here is the candidates. First up is the ruger sp101 in 327 mag. with the 3 inch barrel how accurate is she and what is the 327 like? I figure the 327 would be good for small game and a good trail gun to carry.

The Second is same gun but in a 357 mag. up side I am already reloading and casting for a 357 mag. This would make an excellent trail gun as my other 357 mag is a excellent hand gun.

The other gun I am looking long and hard at is the taurus Judge with a 3 inch chamber and with the 3 inch barrel 45/410. If I go with this caliber what 45 lc should I cast 452 diamter? Can the same mold be used for a lever gun? What about using in a sabot for a muzzle loader also? I am cheap so remember that please.

Thanks Garbear

Slow Elk 45/70
04-27-2010, 12:36 AM
If your on the cheep , buy another .357 and be happy, no reason to do aether other option you suggest, unless you have a better motave....

garbear
04-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Cheap as in a mold to do all in 45 caliber. whether in a revolver of a lever action or a sabot in my inline. I am really curios about the 327 mag in the sp101. besides whats the fun in just shooting one caliber.

MtGun44
04-27-2010, 01:52 AM
Sorry to say, but the Judge is the oddest looking and feeling pistol I have ever run
across. Doesn't seem like having an extra couple of inches of smooth throat can do anything
good for accy with .45 LC. Round ball is THE worst possible boolit shape for penetration,
exept for the new disks that they are loading in .410 shotshells for the Judge.

.410 slug is something like 90 gr at 1300 fps from a LONG barrel. How would this be better
than a .45 LC 250 gr slug at 1000 fps from a short barrel???

Clearly I am out of the mainstream as these are selling well.

Bill

Poygan
04-27-2010, 08:53 AM
I'd vote for the SP101 in .357. The 327 will be more expensive in terms of brass and finding desirable molds. If you are trying to be frugal, this may not be the best choice. I kind of think the 327 is a solution looking for a problem.

I would also be curious to know who is buying all the Judges...I would guess most who buy them are not too knowledgeable about firearms or ballistics. Their ads seem to appeal to this group. Perhaps I'm missing something....

peter nap
04-27-2010, 09:32 AM
I'd vote for the SP101 in .357. The 327 will be more expensive in terms of brass and finding desirable molds. If you are trying to be frugal, this may not be the best choice. I kind of think the 327 is a solution looking for a problem.

I would also be curious to know who is buying all the Judges...I would guess most who buy them are not too knowledgeable about firearms or ballistics. Their ads seem to appeal to this group. Perhaps I'm missing something....

+ 1

Also on the Judge. The one I shot didn't shoot anything well. It doesn't have a choke like my BFR which doesn't shoot 45LC well because of the freebore.

HeavyMetal
04-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Rather than buy a gun you need to reload for why don't you get a nice 22 pistol?

Long term can't get any cheaper!

As for the Judge? I saw about 20 box's of Federal 410 HANDGUN ammo in my local wal mart this week end. Never looked at the shot size, was laughing to hard to be able to read!

The Judge, and the ammo, are aimed at the know nothing that thinks he's getting a short barreled revolving riot gun.

My prediction is these will spend a lot of time in top dresser draws and start showing up in about 5 to 10 years cheap at gun shows.

spqrzilla
04-27-2010, 11:38 AM
The Judge is a lousy solution looking for a problem.

The .327 Magnum is a neat little cartridge, but I likewise can't figure out what need it solves. It looks like great fun but as a plinker, it will always be too expensive.

For small game, the .22 rimfire is usually a better choice. If the .22 rimfire can't get it done, you'd be better off with the .357 Mag / .38 Special.

S.R.Custom
04-27-2010, 01:44 PM
I am looking at getting another revolver. Okay here is the candidates. First up is the ruger sp101 in 327 mag. with the 3 inch barrel how accurate is she and what is the 327 like? I figure the 327 would be good for small game and a good trail gun to carry.

That would be my choice. The .327 is smaller and different, a nice complement to what you already have. And you could feed it .32 H&R mag ammo for a small scale pop gun, much the same way you use .38s in the .357.

The SP101 chambered in .357 would be redundant, and you'd be asking yourself "why did I do that?"

siamese4570
04-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Garbear: The 22 is a very good suggestion for a 2nd gun. No reloading, ammunition is cheap, and very light/handy guns to carry as trail guns. I'm a ruger fan so one of the stainless single six's would be a real good choice especially if you got the one with the interchangable 22 mag cylinder. That kind of bridges the gap between the 22 and the larger centerfires. Another option for a light 38/357 trail gun (if you can find one) is one of the old ruger security six's. I had one with 4" barrel. Real handy piece! You'll have to find it at the gun show since they haven't made them in a while.

Siamese4570

RugerFan
04-27-2010, 02:22 PM
I have a hammerless snubbie SP101 in 357 mag that I use as my CCW. It has a pretty smooth trigger right out of the box and is surprisingly accurate. It will out-shoot my P95 9mm all day.

wiljen
04-27-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm gonna add my $0.02 in support of the .22lr as a companion gun for the reasons already mentioned. I'd also suggest that the 357 makes a better carry gun in my area than the 327 since 357 Shot cartridges are readily available, unlike 327. In snake territory that makes a difference.

9.3X62AL
04-27-2010, 03:25 PM
The short-barrelled SP-101 in 357 Magnum might be the single-best CCW revolver ever crafted. I have a long-time fondness for the now out-of-print S&W Models 13 and 65 x 3" for this role, but the Ruger is stronger and more easily (and affordably) found. If defensive CCW is on the agenda, this would be my ONLY choice.

For pure shooting enjoyment, ya gotta have at least one 22 LR. Another Ruger, one of the autopistol variants, suggests itself strongly. The several I've owned have not been ammo-sensitive, have been very accurate--even with bulk-box cheep-jack milk-carton ammo, and are very affordable to buy.

excavman
04-28-2010, 12:00 AM
A friend of mine had a Taurus Judge, the operative word is 'HAD', but not for long.

Larry

garbear
04-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Okay not getting the judge. I already have 22 pistol. I think the cheap premise was missed on the fact if I was going with the judge I wanted a 45 cal mold I could use for 3 different guns. I gues that wouldn't work because of to many variables between guns.

Instead please tell me about what a 327 mag is like. Or can someone get me some suggestions for using the 357 for small game. Every thing I have read on the 32 caliber seems like it would be a good choice. I already have a conceal carry gun. I open carry on the trail any way and I rarely see another person where I go. This next gun is along the lines trail gun like on a wheeler or hiking. My gp100 is heavy. I prefer a revolver in the back country

McKenzie
04-28-2010, 11:24 AM
garbear,

I've had a 327Mag SP101 for some time now. It is a blast to shoot and reasonably accurate. The only two down sides are the windage only rear sight and the absolutely horrible trigger. The double action trigger is like trying to pull a knotted 1" rope out of a pile of road gravel. Single action pull is tolerable. I've not replace the springs, yet, but that should help. It could be used for some close range small game hunting with a steady hand.

Last weekend I scored one of the new Ruger GP100s in 327Mag. What an amazing handgun. The trigger is much more like a S&W than the typical Ruger. Crazy smooth double action pull and near unnoticeable single action pull. It has a fine rear sight with a white outline. It's adjustable for both windage and elevation. Oh yeah, it's a seven shot.

I haven't shot it much yet, but it was scary accurate with both the American Eagle factory loads and my favored handloads. Recoil is nothing compared to that of the SP101. A real pleasure to shoot.

I really like the 327Mag round. In the GP100 it should be a small game terror. I think I might even try it on deer, but only out to about 30 yards. It would have to be a well placed shot, like in the ear. The GP100 will be my new ranch gun for sure.

I found it at the gun show last weekend. There was also a SS Blackhawk in 327Mag, but I decided to go with the double action first. They are out there, unlike the SP101 in 327.