PDA

View Full Version : New To Loading 45ACP

Gohon
04-26-2010, 10:56 PM
I've been loading and casting for many years but never for a pistol cartridge. Last year I bought a 45 ACP for qualifications for a CCW permit although that is not what I will carry. I have a problem trying to understand COL for this cartridge. What I used as a guide is the picture below which seemed to make things simple.
http://i39.tinypic.com/246s6jt.jpg

These are the two bullets I have moulds and have cast to be used.
http://i40.tinypic.com/vsjjah.jpg

Here is my problem, if it is a problem. When I use the criteria in the first picture for seating the bullets, I end up with a COL of 1.147 for the 200 grain bullet and 1.175 for the 230 grain bullet. On this forum and in others I've read some posters that say anytime the COL is below 1.20 that there is almost always problems. I've seen some say never go below 1.230 for reliability. Yet, I've seen some say they seat as low as 1.160 with no problems. I'm aware of pressure issues but I've loaded a dozen each of these bullets with 4.9 grains of Bullseye and crimped with a Lee FCD for testing. I've manually cycled these rounds through the gun with no problems but won't be shooting them until later this week.

So......is the method of using the barrel as a depth gauge for COL a safe method and is there anything I need to consider before shooting these rounds?

captaint
04-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Gohon - Don't get too sweaty yet. First, I'm not sure the boolit pictured on the left is the ideal boolit to experiment with. So go with the 230 gr TL boolit. I,personally load to around 1.250 COL for MY 1911. Works for me. As long as your loaded rounds end up looking like the two center pic's, you'll be ok, proveded you have no magazine issues. Try loading some of that TL boolit, make sure the rounds drop in the chamber and look like the pic's.... Go shooting. Please report back. Interested to hear how things work out. enjoy Mike

giz189
04-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Gohon, the best way is to try them. In my 45acp the 200 gr bullets from Miha's mould was 1.17 to 1.18 or so, still shorter than 1.200 and they shot and functioned fine. If you used the drawing as you said you should have it just about right.

RobS
04-27-2010, 12:02 AM
The Lee TC bullet needs to be seated at 1.19 in order for the head of the brass to be flush with my XD barrel. I shoot this bullet alot in the XD and never have any feeding or cycling issues at the above COAL. Most of the time people are reloading a longer bullet than the Lee TC bullet so a longer COAL would make sense. The length of the TC bullet is about .620" and the Lyman 230 grain ball type bullet (452374) is .6880" so with these two bullets weighing in at the same weight it is more about case volumn for the powder than seating debth in regards to pressures.

You will be fine with a shorter COAL if they feed right although I would have started with a bit lower of a charge weight and then worked up. According to the Lyman Reloading Manual 5.0 grains is max load with bullseye and their 230 grain 452374 bullet.

spqrzilla
04-27-2010, 12:12 AM
The proof of the pudding is in the feeding.

HeavyMetal
04-27-2010, 12:37 AM
First the picture of the 45 barrels is spot on!

Using this example you correct any headspace conditions that may exist, wether from Mechanical design or just plain wear, and you will get the best 45 ammo you can make.

I pay more attention to flush seating the case than I do to OAL as long as the OAL does not interfer with the magazine housing, AKA rubbing inside the mag!

I am a long time 45 shooter, having traded a $2.00 VW engine for my first 1911 at the tender age of 18, and yes I still have it!

Because I have a few years under my belt with this round I have formed some opinon's which may or may not be enjoyed by all.

I have not used the 200 grain Lee RF mold but I have heard good things about it. It will be my next mold purchase.

Good things about this design, good meplat, which should transfer energy better than a RNL design, good weight, as 200 grains splits the difference between the 180 and the 230/240 stuff. I like 200 grains because of recovery time and energy levels versus recoil. You can certainly get a better velocity range out of a 200 grain boolit in the stock 5 inch barrel.

I dislike the whole Tumble lube concept. It's great for a beginer but you will outgrow the concept if you shoot enough.

If my choice was between the two boolits shown the 200 RF would be the first one I would try
and if that didn't work I'd buy a Lee copy of the H&G 68 and dump that TL mold on the first beginer I could find!

Now why did you buy a 45 if you weren't going to carry it?

chris in va
04-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Ah yes, had the same exact issue with my CZ 9mm with the same boolits pictured!

Like they said, seat them so they chamber properly and adjust powder charge accordingly. I've had nothing but problems with that TC design, but it's in a 9mm so that would be the difference.

The Lee TL 230gr RN has been absolutely perfect in my Sig 220 and have no problems with weird OAL depths. If you can't get the TC to work right, might want to consider switching.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/7781

Gohon
04-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Now why did you buy a 45 if you weren't going to carry it?

Well, for one thing it is a full size 1911 which to me would be a little hard to carry concealed but that doesn't mean I'll never carry it. I've always wanted a 45 ACP every since my uncle let me shoot his as a kid many many years ago. I load and shoot a 45 Colt in rifles for hunting as I've always been a believer in big fat slow bullets. That Colt loaded at Ruger and TC loadings exceeds anything put on paper for hunting. Another thing is, in my state, one that qualifies for a ccw with a revolver is limited to revolver carry only but if qualified with a pistol then either may be carried. That gave me the excuse to buy the 45. I did install a set of Crimson Trace grips on the 45 ACP for these old eyes so most of it's duty will be in a night stand by the bed. So you see......... now I have another excuse to buy a smaller compact 45 ACP for carry.

I just got these two moulds a few weeks ago and I bought them just for the 45 acp. I've never used a TL mould before but a lot of people seem to like them so I thought I would give one a try. I'm not sure I would call it a beginners mould, just something different. I do like the design of the 200 grain RF and was hoping it would work well. We shall see..........

243winxb
04-27-2010, 10:07 AM
and 1.755 for the 230 grain bullet.Type O ? If they fit the barrel and feed, your good to go.

Cherokee
04-27-2010, 02:07 PM
I like the Lee 230 TC conventional lube design. Feeds well and accurate in all my 45 ACP's. The problem you might have with the 200FN Lee is the ogive contacting the slide stop when the cartridge is feeding, that depends on your gun. Seems to work for others.

geargnasher
04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
I like the Lee 230 TC conventional lube design. Feeds well and accurate in all my 45 ACP's. The problem you might have with the 200FN Lee is the ogive contacting the slide stop when the cartridge is feeding, that depends on your gun. Seems to work for others.

+1, same for the TC if it's not seated deeply enough.

Gear

Gohon
04-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Wish to thank everyone for their input. Had 15 rounds loaded of each bullet and tested them today. Target was set at 10 yards and all rounds printed dead center of target. No failures of any kind and no leading whatsoever. 30 rounds combined is certainly not conclusive by any means as to future reliability but it is a welcome sight and start. I think I'll concentrate on that 200 grainer as I really do like that big wide meplat but both will receive use in the future. Now I gotta set up the chrony and see what they are doing. I may want to back down a little on the charge. Again, thank you all.

Cherokee
04-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Good for you - glad it worked. Tinkering with the loads is part of the fun.

Char-Gar
04-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Gahon... For reasons I do not entirely understand, folks like to make things more difficult than they are and worry about things that do not need to be worried about. I am 50 years and a half million rounds of 45 ACP deep into 1911 type pistols. To make it simple

1. Seat the bullets until the head of the case is even with the back of the barrel hood.
2. Put a good taper crimp on your rounds.
3. Cycle the action with a few rounds... If they feed you are good to go.

Just keep your loads under loadbook max and you will never have a problem. Not all bullet and powder combinations deliver the same accuracy, but you will be safe.

Handloading is to be taken seriously for indeed fools can get hurt loading ammo. That said, there is no need for high angst. It isn't rocket science.

StrawHat
04-28-2010, 06:29 AM
You are starting with a good cartridge from which to learn. So far all the info you received is good but Chargar has given some of the best. Keep it simple and safe and all should work out.

If some of the loads don't function you can either pull the loads or better, get a S&W to fire them. Watch the powder charge and seat them to where they work in your pistol.