PDA

View Full Version : .44 Special RB load. I have an idea. Thought i'd run it by you guys.

Ole
04-26-2010, 07:55 PM
So I shot my first RB loads out of my Charter Arms Bulldog today. They were lots of fun. I could see the balls actually flying towards the pop cans I was shooting. Fun stuff!! Anyway, I had some problems with lots of soot and about every 8th round or so, I would notice a fire coming out of the pistol. Obviously poor powder ignition due to the low pressure. I was using 3.0 grains of Unique with a 130 grain, .433" round ball. I got the load out of an old Speer manual.

Here's my question: Does anyone think using a magnum primer might help the powder burn better? Maybe use a small bit of polyfill to compress the powder against the primer?

What do you guys use for your RB gallery loads?

Thanks in advance for your help. :drinks:

woody1
04-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Try faster powder. 3 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot would be my suggestion. Also, don't size the case any more than you have to. Regards, Woody

RU shooter
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Agreed, I used Bullseye and had no issues

Coffeecup
04-26-2010, 11:19 PM
After some similar ignition problems I went to 3.2 g. Red Dot with the ball seated flush with case mouth.

StrawHat
04-27-2010, 05:51 AM
For a little more bullet resistance try using a larger ball and sizing it down. The sizing will leave a "belt" around the equator of the ball to crimp to and to better grab the rifling.