PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: Smartreloader iSD Scale & Dispenser

doubs43
04-26-2010, 07:00 PM
I've now spent three days with my new Smartreloader iSD Scale & Dispenser. Here's what I've learned so far.

It's larger than I expected but that gives it a solid base on the bench while the powder reservoir will easily hold a full pound of powder or more. The key pad is easily used by even the largest fingers. It was designed in Italy and made - where else - in China.

Setup was quick and easy. Once the base was removed from the box, the reservoir installed and the 110 volt plug snapped into place, there only remained placing the table for the pan in place and setting the pan on it. Pour powder in the reservoir and you're ready to go.... almost.

The instructions call for a 7 minute warm-up to allow the sensor to stabilize. Then use the two 50 gram weights to calibrate the scale. Once calibrated, place the pan in place and zero the scale. Enter a weight and press "Dispense". A typical load requires approximately 30 seconds.

The scale has a 50 load memory or the desired load can be entered each time quickly. The dispenser will automatically begin each time the pan is placed on the table until you press the "Stop" key.

There is a dial on the right side of the unit to empty the reservoir of powder.

This unit is particularly useful for powders that don't meter well through a measure. I like it's ease of use. The pan has two flanges so that a left handed person can work as easily as a right handed one. There's a dust cover that swings to one side for use or covers the pan and table when not in use. I like the large powder reservoir and easily removed cover. The scale matched the weight readings on my older Lyman electronic scale and showed a substantial difference with my ancient Lyman D-7 beam scale. On a 44.0 grain charge, the D-7 was off by over a full grain.

Cons are all small things. The powder dump could be better and extend farther away from the unit. The reservoir cylinder could fit tighter. The key pads have both numbers and letters and I'd like to see a key that allows switching between them rather than one push for numbers and more for letters.

I bought mine from Graf & Sons for $206. I have no financial interest in either Graf or Smartreloader. I thought others might find my experience - short as it is - with the iSD interesting.

Link to Smartreloader: http://www.smartreloadermfg.com/isdscaledispenser.html

jsizemore
04-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the report. Sounds alot like the RCBS setup.

rollmyown
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah, ditto that. Thanks for the report. Any chance you can give us an update in a few months and let us know if you're still happy with it, or encounter any problems?

Cheers Rob

doubs43
04-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah, ditto that. Thanks for the report. Any chance you can give us an update in a few months and let us know if you're still happy with it, or encounter any problems?

Cheers Rob

I'll be sure to update my impressions in a couple of moths.

JesterGrin_1
04-27-2010, 01:12 PM
I have a question lol. How hard is it to empty the hopper of powder?

doubs43
04-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I have a question lol. How hard is it to empty the hopper of powder?

Not really difficult at all but a full reservoir takes awhile. The dump setup looks just like the one used on the RCBS dispenser. Once the hopper is empty, the trickler must be run to empty the tube. I think this is probably the same way all dispensers must be emptied.

One additional comment I'd like to make is that on occasion the trickler will drop more kernels of powder than needed and the charge will be 1/10 of a grain over the desired weight. It doesn't happen often and I suspect other dispensers will do the same thing, especially with large kernel powders. I simply dump the charge back in the hopper and let it weigh a new charge.

leftiye
11-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Any updates?

noylj
11-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Back in the past, a lot of people were turning the units upside to pour out the powder and then pounding it against the funnel to get the last bit of powder out. This would break the balance. The balance should never be turned upside down and certainly never pounded on.
On the RCBS, the first load dispensed is always over. The unit kicks in to high speed and doesn't know when to slow down. The second charge is always right on the money. When I think about it, I set the first charge about 1-1.5 grain under the target load, let it over shoot, toss it back in the hopper, set the right charge and it is always correct (and the number of charges then matches the number of cases I have charged).

winelover
11-26-2010, 05:39 PM
On the RCBS, the first load dispensed is always over. The unit kicks in to high speed and doesn't know when to slow down. The second charge is always right on the money. When I think about it, I set the first charge about 1-1.5 grain under the target load, let it over shoot, toss it back in the hopper, set the right charge and it is always correct (and the number of charges then matches the number of cases I have charged).

I beg to differ! I always check the first dispensed load on my Chargmaster Combo against a RCBS 5-10 scale and it's spot on.

Winelover

AJ Peacock
11-26-2010, 05:52 PM
I beg to differ! I always check the first dispensed load on my Chargmaster Combo against a RCBS 5-10 scale and it's spot on.

Winelover

Mine overshoots on the first dispensed load, especially when it is a small (sub 30gr load), as it takes it a few seconds during the dispense cycle to figure out how fast the powder is going to flow.

Of course, it shows the correct weight on the scale, even though it's 1/10-2/10 gr over.

I just pinch a few grains out of the pan and drop them into the hopper (or just dump the whole thing).

AJ