PDA

View Full Version : 35 caliber throater

excess650
04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington (Microgroove) that doesn't seem CB friendly. I suspect the abrupt transition from chamber to rifling is the culprit. Does anyone have a throater that I could rent or borrow?

deltaenterprizes
04-26-2010, 06:43 PM
IT ain't the throat it is the shallow rifling!

excess650
04-26-2010, 07:17 PM
IT ain't the throat it is the shallow rifling!

I don't think so. Many other CB users report great results and some with full power loads with .35 Rem and MG. I have a pair of 1894C 357 Magnums that seem to have shallower rifling that shoot fabulously well with cast and full house loads. The .35 won't shoot groups anywhere close to the .357s with the same bullets, heavier bullets, or even similar velocity.

This same rifle has been really fussy about what jacketed bullet loads it will shoot accurately, and has a very abrupt transition from case to rifling.

garandsrus
04-26-2010, 10:32 PM
excess650,

I have thought about just lapping the transition from chamber to rifling. Cast a boolit and then imbed lapping compound and figure out how to turn it. You could load the boolit into a 35 Rem case that was drilled out and threaded for some type of bolt or threaded rod. Removing the lever would alloy you to spin it with a drill.

John

waksupi
04-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Google Elk Ridge Reamers. Rental is reasonable.

Nobade
04-27-2010, 07:35 AM
You're right on track. I recently bought the same rifle, and a chamber cast revealed no throat whatsoever, just a sharp start to the rifling. I touched it with a throater to break the edge, and groups improved dramatically. Basically turned a mostly useless rifle into something pretty respectable. That also allowed the rifle to shoot paper patch quite well, where before they couldn't be chambered without damage.

largom
04-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Have 6 Marlins with micro groove and they all shoot cast boolits very well.
Pacific Tool & Gauge [PTG] makes a great throater that is adjustable for depth and you can specify the Dia. you want. I have a couple of these throaters but not in 35 cal.

Larry