PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make an adaptor for using Lyman TP's in a Saeco?

mikenbarb
04-26-2010, 10:26 AM
I have a bunch of Lyman top punches but only a few Saecos because of the high price of them:cry:. Im wondering if anyone has made a adaptor to use Lyman or RCBS top punches in a Saeco luber? Or does anyone make a cheaper aftermarket top punch for the Saeco?

Coffeecup
04-26-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm in the process of parting together a SAECO, and I suspect my first SAECO top punch will get converted. Tentative plan is to face off the business end and center drill it for the Lyman/RCBS shank, then hold the top punch in the SAECO top punch with a dab of bullet lube or similar. If need be, I'll put in a setscrew like on Lyman/RCBS presses.

At least that is the plan, subject to revision as soon as my top punch arrives.

Jim

GOPHER SLAYER
04-26-2010, 06:35 PM
mikenbarb, I own several Lyman lubers and a SAECO. Since space between the top punch and die on the SAECO is rather limited I don't think you would have enough clearance to size a bullet if you added an adapter.By the way, Buckshot will make you a top punch that is much cheaper than Redding, which is the company that owns SAECO.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-26-2010, 09:48 PM
For $20. Erik@hollowpointmold.com makes and sells the adapter that will handle RCBS and LYman TP's. I had one made for me by a machinist friend a bunch of years ago. It worked great with short pistol bullets but not with longer rifle ones due to the limited clearance. LLS

HeavyMetal
04-26-2010, 10:39 PM
I'd go with having Buckshot make you some top punchs in the Saeco style.

I have found that the Saeco design use's that angled portion above the hex wrench part of the top punch to align the punch with the boolit and the center of the Saeco sizing die.

It is both infalliable and foolproof!

My biggest beef with every Lyman sizer I've had my hands on is the mis alignment of the top punch and sizer die. I do not believe in having to fix something so obviously basic.

The Saeco design by-pass's all that so stick with it!

Coffeecup
04-26-2010, 10:55 PM
For $20. Erik@hollowpointmold.com makes and sells the adapter that will handle RCBS and LYman TP's. I had one made for me by a machinist friend a bunch of years ago. It worked great with short pistol bullets but not with longer rifle ones due to the limited clearance. LLS

Thanks for posting that, it is about what I had in mind--and I'll probably just order one and save myself the headache of making it.