PDA

View Full Version : 96 Mauser

Mel-4857
05-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Well Buckshot got off my butt and will post about my recently aquired 96 Swede,but its really a story of 3 guns and two great friends.Chris a friend and fellow shooter went over to an old fella who was selling off some of his guns ,an M-38 and a 96. Chris bought both knowing I would love the 96. I've kept it origanal except for the Williams peep sight . The front sight was also replaced but the original sight can be put back with no damage. It shoots 3 rounds into 3/4" so hopefully will shoot cast well. Several days later Chris is back at the old fellas place checking out reloading gear when he mentions he's looking for a good 98 in 8mm; as Chris said he reached up in the rafters and hauls down a 88 turkish mauser. Chris isn't interested but knows I am so again he picks it up. He phones and says I can pick it up at Tony's that night.A bunch our club gather at Tony's to swap lies on Tuesday nights. After our deal , in walks Cliff another friend with fantastic gun collection. Cliff hands me a tattered gun case and says he knows I was looking for one of these , I pull out out a 71/84 which is rough but definitely salvageable. So I buy it on the spot. I'm blessed with friends like that thinking of me. Returned the favor to Chris by putting him unto a 1884 Springfield that he's been wanting for a while. Pics at www.picturetrail.com/mel-4857

jh45gun
05-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Congrats on the good finds friends like that are nice to have. You'll love that Swede. As I am sure the others too.

Ed Barrett
05-06-2005, 12:51 AM
My friends have not bird dogged that good for me in many years. Congrats!!

Buckshot
05-11-2005, 05:10 PM
............I don't think any of my mil-surp shooting buddies would tell me about stuff like that. They'd tell me after THEY bought it.

..............Buckshot