PDA

View Full Version : Lube cookie in BP Shotgun shells

Dragoon 45
04-25-2010, 11:00 PM
I recently loaded some 12 ga BP shotgun shells using Magtech brass hulls. I used 1/2 fiber wads over the Nitro cards that were supposed to be pre-lubed. After firing 10 rds I had some really hard fouling that was a real chore to clean up, even though I started the cleanup as soon as I finished shooting.

I have room in the brass cases to put a 1/4" or so lube cookie in between the wads and cards. Would this cut down on my hard fouling problems? Anyone else use lube cookies in shotshells?

Thank You.

Oyeboten
04-26-2010, 04:48 AM
Huh...

I have limited my re-loading so far to .38 Special using 3F BP, with a home-made Lube Wafer between Powder and Bullet, and clean up is a snap in all Barrel lengths, just some soapy Water and a little wad of Paper Towel shoved through with a Pencil...dry, and Oil.

I would have to guess that a proportionate size Lube Wafer would do the same for Muzzle Loading or Metallic Cartridge BP Shotgun.

My Wafers are simply strips of Paper Towel run through a molten mix of Bee's Wax, and Olive Oil...which once cooled and firm, I cut out the 'discs' with an old time Gasket Hole-Punch. They seem to run about .040 thick, but, could be thicker if one wanted.

I have sought a proportion so that once cool, the Mix, if in a Tuna Can, allows an fairly easy full size 1/4 inch deep dent by pressing firmly with a finger tip.

NickSS
04-26-2010, 06:17 AM
I have not loaded shot shells but have two ML shotguns that I shoot regularly. I load them with a 1/8" nitro wad followed by a 1/2" fiber wad that I dip the bottom side in melted BP lube. After seating this wad I dump in my shot and follow it with a thin over shot wad. This works good for me and I have fired up to 25 shots without cleaning my shotguns.

August
04-26-2010, 06:18 PM
The "secret" to cleaning a black powder shotgun is to let it soak for AT LEAST HALF AN HOUR before pushing patches through it.

I spray mine with 50/50 ballistol and water and let it sit while I clean other gunz. After each gun is cleaned, I spray the B/W down the shotgun barrel again. I set the tube down in a different orientation after each spray.

When I get to the shotgun, about 30 to 40 minutes later, I PUSH ONE PATCH DOWN THE BARREL WITH A MOP and all the plastic and powder residue comes out at once. ONE PATCH !!!!!

I would much rather clean a shotgun after using black powder than after smokeless. Much, much easier.

I have, however, thought about loading up the space in plastic wads with lube just for ****z and giggles.

bigskybound
04-27-2010, 07:42 AM
I was at a cowboy shoot last summer where a guy used prelubed fiber wads in his BP shotshells. ALmost every shell was burnt through and deformed when the powder that had soaked up the lube ignited. Not sure of the actual mechanics, but the result was the same with all of his shells loaded in this manner. BP fouling not much of an issue in a SG during a match and lube really adds nothing to ease of cleaning them IMHO.

cajun shooter
04-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Don't know why you had such a hard time with the SG. I shoot over 100 12ga BP rounds a month out of a 1887 and have no problems. Buy some Windex with "Vinegar" and spray down the bbl until it is pouring out. Run a brass brush and then follow with patches of Ballistoll. Some times when I load my hulls with the plastic wads for those hard KD's the residue that comes out of the bbl looks like a shed snake skin.

218bee
04-27-2010, 02:07 PM
I've been playing with BP in Paper hulls shooting trap. I took an old Lee shot measure which is for 1 1/8oz shot and filled it with black and it came out to around 72-75grs so dumped that into a primed shell put a 1/8 nitro card wad over that and then a 1/4 felt wad then filled dipper with shot and to my suprise it all fit nice enough to start and finish crimp in my MEC without adjustment. After a round of trap barrel is dirty but no "hard" fouling. I just swabbed with Windex/vinegar 4-5 times and all the gook was gone.

Dragoon 45
04-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Don't know why you had such a hard time with the SG. I shoot over 100 12ga BP rounds a month out of a 1887 and have no problems. Buy some Windex with "Vinegar" and spray down the bbl until it is pouring out. Run a brass brush and then follow with patches of Ballistoll. Some times when I load my hulls with the plastic wads for those hard KD's the residue that comes out of the bbl looks like a shed snake skin.

I was using 70grns of Goex 2F in brass hulls and 1 1/8 oz of #8 shot. I fired 14 shells as these were my first try at loading brass shot shells with BP. I started cleaning shortly after I finished firing and fouling was so hard I ended up going to a sporting goods store and buying a special brush that has built in scrappers. I was using Ox Yoke pre-lubed fiber wads over top of the Nitro card. I tried using hot water and soap first, then Hoppes BP solvent, then white vinegar diluted with water, and finally used the scrapper brush followed by patches using the white vinegar then finished with Ballistoll. All in all it took over three hours to clean the SbyS when it should have taken a few minutes. I never have this kind of trouble cleaning my Highwall or Sharps using BP, and the only thing I could think of as being different was the lube. I use SPG in my cartridge rifles. Hence my question about lube cookies.

218bee
04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
It seems to me the only "variable" with my load (other than brass case) is the prelubed nitro card. My suggestion would be to try unlubed card wads and see if any difference. I was using Goex 2F also. Having taken apart some old factory black powder shells I can say they did not have any lube in them.

cajun shooter
04-30-2010, 10:12 AM
I load both the brass and paper hulls with the BP. Try using a fiber wad without the lube and see what you have. I have loaded several this way and after firing the clean up was easy and simple. Try the over powder wad then the 1/2 fiber filler wad( 3/8 will also work fine) then the shot load then the overshot wad and crimp. I roll crimp all my paper hulls. I noticed no difference when I shot the hulls with no lube wads. Again I start with the Windex w/vinegar and then the moosemilk.

Cannoneer
05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I recently loaded some 12 ga BP shotgun shells using Magtech brass hulls. I used 1/2 fiber wads over the Nitro cards that were supposed to be pre-lubed. After firing 10 rds I had some really hard fouling that was a real chore to clean up, even though I started the cleanup as soon as I finished shooting.

I have room in the brass cases to put a 1/4" or so lube cookie in between the wads and cards. Would this cut down on my hard fouling problems? Anyone else use lube cookies in shotshells?

Thank You.

Well, I've used fiber wads that I let soak in melted BP Lube and put over two nitro wads to prevent lube migration. That seemed to keep the fouling down a bit. I also put a dolup of bore butter in the case just prior to dumping in the shot so it mixes well with the shot. That really works in keeping the fouling down in my Rossi.

Ruckus Ralph
05-05-2010, 10:19 AM
I guess that I have been lucky.. I load 12g. using regular plastic wads. After 25-35 shots i can take and spray the barrels with ballistol/water mixture and let sit for a couple mins and then run two damp paper towels down each barrel and they are clean..

Muddy Creek Sam
05-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I use no lube in my BP Shot shells, Load only Brass shells. Have had no problems and fouling is a breeze to clean.

Sam :D

Dan Cash
05-05-2010, 11:10 PM
.... I also put a dolup of bore butter in the case just prior to dumping in the shot so it mixes well with the shot.

I bet it makes a grouse or phesant tast dandy too.