PDA

View Full Version : 480 at 150 yds

sixshot
04-25-2010, 10:17 PM
I've been wanting to check out my Alan Harton Bisley 480 to see where the single gold bar he installed would zero. I had a hunch, because of where it shot at 100 yds that the gold bar would be very close at 150 yds.
Setting up the 25 yd pistol target & then walking back to 150 yds, the target looked the size of a BB, not much to hold on with iron sights, that & I still don't have my glasses back so for the second time in 3 days I had to shoot without them.
Using the same proven load of 20 grs of 4227 & a 350 gr LFN (perhaps 1050 fps) I settled into my chair (Elmer Keith position) & slipped my now famous Pittsburg Steelers Crocs onto my foot stool. As I started to load the gun one of first rounds showed a split in the case, I had just reloaded these before leaving the house, perhaps this was the load that had shot high 3 days earlier, at least I'd like to think so!
So I ended up shooting a nine shot group, as you can see 8 of them are in the target, one was in the head of the IPSC target just above the paper.
They ended up being 8 shots in 16" at 150 yds, thats perfect for this gold bar in my eyes. A nice brisk 12-15 mph wind, the sun hard on my right shoulder & old eyes with iron sights, I'll just have to live with it.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_2333.jpg

Dick

Frank
04-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Good info and post. :coffeecom

44man
04-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Yes, wonderful to show results like that.
Try a different target that you can take a six o'clock hold on. Make it large and easy to see and experiment with different colors so the top of the sight shows up better.
Then arrange other paper below the aim point to catch the boolit holes.
I don't know how you seen that little spot at all! :drinks:

bigboredad
04-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I can't believe you were able to see that black dot either and i sure wouldn't want you to be shooting at me from a 150 yards at least not til I can find myself some speedy Denver bronco crocs:Fire:

sixshot
04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
My normal paper target is a pie plate painted red or orange, this goes on a white IPSC target so I have plenty of white paper to catch any missed shots, this works great for me with old eyes. I knew I would have some trouble yesterday but that also happens in the field, you don't always have a clear, sharp target.
A six o'clock hold is a little more precise but I like to hold center, thats where I hold on game & I want my bullet to hit right at the top of my sight. It was difficult yesterday because the sight somewhat faded into the small black center, it was just a test to see where my single gold bar would be zeroed with this load.
Many like a black front sight, I don't, I need that contrast to make decent groups, so my front sight is bright orange or red. When hunting game, many times the shot comes in dim light, early mornings or late evenings, I don't like black because it fades so bad.
I keep several empty milk jugs on hand, I fill them with water, add red food coloring & set them out at random distances in a dirt field, these show up really good & you get an instant reaction when you hit them, I can hit these at quite long range with a good sixgun (or 5 gun) but again I need contrast, the target needs to show up real good for me to hit it, if its a white mouse in a snow storm I'm probably going to miss!
Also, shooting without some type of glasses is not good & I never do it, except the last 2 times out, my regular shooting glasses should be back by friday......I'm leaving for my bear hunt, gotta have my glasses!

Dick

44man
04-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Sounds like the time I went to a silly wet shoot in PA. They always used white targets and there was still snow on the ground. I never seen such a waste of bullets. :holysheep

Thumbcocker
04-26-2010, 07:59 PM
When I grow up I want to shoot like Sixshot. I am putting together a kit. Here is what I have so far:

sixshot
04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Thumbcocker, wish I could see your gun better, it looks terrific. I wish I had those 2 Skeeter books, you're lucky to have them. I have Elmer's books, bought them from him at his house in Salmon back in the early & mid 70's, he signed each one of them.

Dick

FN in MT
04-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Red and Orange are two of the hardest colors for the human eye to see clearly. Try some sky or bright BLUE squares/circles next time. I'd bet you will have an easier time seeing the target.

I prefer a std 8.5x11 inch sheet of blue paper out to 100 yds. For ME it shows up quite well and I can 6 O'Clock hold on it easily.

Give it a try.

FN in MT

Southern Son
05-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Sixshot, great shooting with a magnificent revolver.

Thumbcocker, I agree with Sixshot, can we get a bigger photo of just your revolver, from what I can see in the photo, it is just a good looking.

dragonrider
05-01-2010, 08:55 AM
If I hit the target 1 out of 9 times at 150 yards I feel good. You did real good.

Thumbcocker
05-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Here is the revolver. It is a Lispys .44 special that was Bisleyfied by horse trading for parts and then assembled by Adam Nehrt (he posts here once in a while). I was a little upset when Lispey's later offered a Bisley .44 special but Adam can't assemble a sixgun with a bad trigger so I am pleased with the results. It shoots very well with 429421's over 7.0 of Unique. The grips are Ajax faux Ivory that I swapped into. The second picture is the flattop with my other two favorite revolvers. The stainless has a Bowen rear sight and a belt mountain pin. I put a front sight from a .45 Colt Ruger to get more adjustment. Adam put the Bowen lanyard ring on and, once aging I got a trigger job. Cocking the hammer on that one feels like two greasy ball bearings in a leather bag. You can see this one in my avatar. I have taken one hog, one coyote, and four whitetails with it. All with Keith boolits. It is very accurate with Keiths and 22 grains of IMR4227. The one with ugly grips is called the "Utility .44. It is one of those guns that shoots pretty good with about anythig. I got a small buck with it last year. It has logged a lot of woods tromping miles. It has a Bowen sight and lanyard ring and belt mountain pin. All have been dry fired a lot and shoot a whole lot better than I can. I did not mean to hijack Mr. Sixshots thread. If the moderators feel that this should be elsewhere that is fine.

Southern Son
05-02-2010, 04:05 AM
Thumbcocker, VERY nice revolver. One that I would really love to own.

44man
05-02-2010, 08:10 AM
I never seen a revolver I would not want to own except ONE! [smilie=1:
Whitworth's .50 Alaskan--no he can keep that one.
Emergency services can't get down to my range! :coffeecom

Frank
05-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Enjoyed a beverage, taped the can to my target at 105 yds and shot Creedmore off a few extra's I had that weren't the best load. One missed to the right, edged the can but it was windy.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=2267

Southern Son
05-03-2010, 04:02 AM
Good shooting Frank. What make is that revolver? I have seen a couple of extended cylinder single actions for sale over here (one 30/30. the other 45/70), but even if I had the money, I don't think I would bother. We are not allowed to hunt with handguns in Queensland and to my eye, they are not pretty revolvers, not like a SAA or one of those Lipsy's .44Spl Blackhawks.

Frank
05-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks. It's my BFR 45-70. I like it a lot. It's a heavy contraption, but it's very accurate, shoots real clean and is very consistent.

44man
05-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Good shooting Frank. What make is that revolver? I have seen a couple of extended cylinder single actions for sale over here (one 30/30. the other 45/70), but even if I had the money, I don't think I would bother. We are not allowed to hunt with handguns in Queensland and to my eye, they are not pretty revolvers, not like a SAA or one of those Lipsy's .44Spl Blackhawks.
I have not had a Magnum Research revolver here yet that has not had perfect throat and bore measurements. Rates of twist are correct for each caliber.
Even if you can't hunt with one, once you shoot one for fun you will never go back.
My favorite is the short cylinder .475 for deer hunting.
The 45-70 actually gets boring it is so accurate and while the .475 is as accurate, it is more of a challenge with the recoil.
Frank is doing extremely well with his BFR's and all I can say is your vision will be the limiting factor with these guns.
No, they are not pretty blue with case hardened frames but the more you handle them the more you will love them. What counts? form or function? They are after all, fit to perfection.
Stainless is just different and I will never part with my Ruger's or BFR's.
I admit to loving the blue, case hardened guns too, nothing as beautiful on earth as a fine single action but mine are working guns and I don't see them when I shoot them.
If I was rich, I would have all of them!

Frank
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
44man said
What counts? form or function? They are after all, fit to perfection.

I like to see pics of Freedoms with fancy grips. When it doesn't shoot good, they can turn it around and use it like a club. :smile:

Thumbcocker
05-03-2010, 07:43 PM
:kidding:So what is that black cylindrical thingy on top of that BFR and what does it do?

Frank
05-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Thumbcocker writes
So what is that black cylindrical thingy on top of that BFR and what does it do?
That's a Leupold 4X scope in QR rings. I like my Ultradot also, depends what kind of shooting I'm doing, slow and precise for target, or quick handling for hunting. They both work great for their intended purpose.