PDA

View Full Version : Beagle saves the day

jmsj
04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
On another thread I complained about a Lyman 452460 mold that cast .452 with the seam and .447 across the seam. I was really bummed. I had read Beagle's post on enlarging molds, so I thought I'd give it a try.
The mold also looked like there was some kind of coating inside the cavaties, so I lapped the cavaties w/ fine clover compound. This enlarged the as cast size to .452 w/ the seam(no change) and .448 across the seam. I was encouraged w/ this small progress.
next I tried one piece of foil tape. This increased the as cast measurement across the seam to.450. One more piece of foil tape and the across the seam measurement was .452. I measured all around the bullet and the smallest diameter I found was .4515, that really suprised me. And there is only one little spot on one cavity that has any finning and I can knock it of easily w/ my thumbnail.
What a great day!
I know to you guys this process is no big deal but to a newbie like me it's like hitting a homerun.
I want to thank you guys again for sharing your wealth of knowledge and to Beagle a special thanks. jmsj

Ben
04-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Home runs every now and then make the game a little bit more exciting !

Beagle is a great guy, I count him as one on my friends !

Ben

04-25-2010, 10:27 PM
jmsj,
Good deal.

Beagling has saved me no small amount of frustration, not to mention expense.