PDA

View Full Version : Nearly ready for the first test

Gunlaker
04-25-2010, 08:00 PM
I just finished loading my first 20 paper patched rounds.

Norma brass partially sized, WLR primer, 100gr Goex Fg, 0.060" veg king wads and the .444 BACO Money bullet patched with onion skin to just a shade under 0.450". Bullets are a tight slip fit with just over 3/16" in the case.

They'll be shot out of my C. Sharps .45-110.

I've got to wait until next Sunday to give 'em a try. I'll consider it a success if the patches don't tear and cause me to mine lead out of the barrel for the rest of the day :-D

Chris.

1874Sharps
04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
That is a might fine looking boolit and cartridge! Let us know how the range test went.

Southern Son
04-26-2010, 06:23 AM
Very good looking boolit. I have the same mold for my 45/70. I am looking forward to your results (almost as much as I am looking forward to trying them out in my rifle).

Gunlaker
04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I'll definitely post the results. Good or bad :-P

Chris.

montana_charlie
04-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I suspect your bullet/paper package will work out just fine. If you don't get the accuracy you are hoping for, just add one, two, or three more wads to increase compression.
You could even add wads to some of your rounds before you shoot any, if the bullets are not crimped in.

According to Kenney Wasserburger, .385" of compression works well in that 2 7/8" case.
He gets part of that compression by seating his bullets considerably deeper than yours...but he seats deeper than most anybody else who claims expertise in the art.

CM

Gunlaker
04-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I suspect your bullet/paper package will work out just fine. If you don't get the accuracy you are hoping for, just add one, two, or three more wads to increase compression.
You could even add wads to some of your rounds before you shoot any, if the bullets are not crimped in.

According to Kenney Wasserburger, .385" of compression works well in that 2 7/8" case.
He gets part of that compression by seating his bullets considerably deeper than yours...but he seats deeper than most anybody else who claims expertise in the art.

CM

I've been paying a lot of attention to what Mr. Wasserburger is doing, probably for 6 months before ordering this particular rifle :-). I read all of his posts, and yours too :-P

I'd never thought of being able to add more wads, but you're obviously right. I guess I could try tuning my loads at the range that way if I bring my compression die and some different wads.

I know he runs a 3 wad stack with, I think, a very similar bullet. I saw some rolls of thin cork at Home Depot the other day and it got me thinking...

I went with minimal compression as I was thinking that the powder column might decompress over time with finger seated bullets. Do you think that'd be an issue?

Chris.

montana_charlie
04-26-2010, 05:51 PM
I went with minimal compression as I was thinking that the powder column might decompress over time with finger seated bullets. Do you think that'd be an issue?
Nope...

Gunlaker
04-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Nope...

Southern Son
04-27-2010, 02:30 AM
I saw some rolls of thin cork at Home Depot the other day and it got me thinking...

Chris.

I am glad that I am not the only one who wonders around thinking "that might be good to mix in with my lube..." or "that might make a good wad.....":-D

Gunlaker
04-27-2010, 01:06 PM
I am glad that I am not the only one who wonders around thinking "that might be good to mix in with my lube..." or "that might make a good wad.....":-D

I think that's probably a common thing based on the number of "what's a wax toilet seal made of" threads :bigsmyl2:

Chris.

Rattlesnake
04-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Gunlaker,

May I ask what are your chamber and throat dimensions.

Ol'Rattlesnake

Gunlaker
05-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Gunlaker,

May I ask what are your chamber and throat dimensions.

Ol'Rattlesnake

I haven't done a chamber cast on this rifle, but it is a standard C. Sharps chamber, and thus not likely ideal for bore diameter paper patch without custom brass. In an attempt to minimize trauma on the bullet, I'm using Norma brass which has relatively thick walls, as well as seating the bullet very shallow.

Chris.