PDA

View Full Version : couple newb questions

DMARMORY
04-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Hey casters! A couple questions real quick...I shoot BP revolvers, and have saved a lot of balls that have been found where I shoot..they were put into a plastic tub, and not covered up. The other day the tub was full of rain water.

Can they just be spread out in the sun to dry out, or is there a possibility of the moisture being trapped inside the (pores)? I'm gonna try first session this week, and am exploring every safety aspect I can, and I definatlly know water and molten lead dont mix.........

And the other question...I have a Lee 10 pounder with bottom spout...can these be operated with a heavy duty 25ft extinsion cord, I'll be casting outdoors, and have to use an inside wall socket.

Sure appreciate any info on this, and sure do thank yall for the great reading!

blackthorn
04-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Yes to both questions. The wet balls could be put into a COLD pot and the heat turned on safely. Any water will be gone by the time the balls start to melt. Never add wet balls (or other scrap) to already molten lead.

jlchucker
04-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Do what Blackthorn says, and mold them up into ingots. Keep the ingots OUT of water. NEVER mix moisture with molten lead.

DMARMORY
04-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks blackthorn...Appreciate the reply. I kinda thought they'd be allright, but just wanted to be sure. Actually, I was more concerned about runnin the smelter through an extinsion cord...didnt wanna burn it up...thanks again.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-25-2010, 06:04 PM
AS noted, Keep water out of a pot of melted lead.

If you want to empty a pot real quick, just throw something containing water or other liquid in to the melted metal and you will find much of the metal instantly out of the pot and on to everything surrounding the pot.

NOT GOOD OR FUN TO BE AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heed each and every warning you see about avoiding such a situation or possibly pay a very big price!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

AZ-Stew
04-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Armory,

You don't tell us where you live. If it's in the Southeast, putting your range scrap out in the sun may may take several days to drive out the moisture, due to the atmospheric humidity. If you live in the Southwest, a few hours laid out in the sun may make them too dry to melt (kidding). Our dry atmosphere drys EVERYTHING very quickly.

Or, as mentioned, you can put them in a cold pot and turn on the heat. That will dry them before they melt.

If the extension cord is 12 or 10 gage wire, it will easily power your pot. You'll be drawing about 6.5 Amps with the pot. The larger gage wire is required to avoid losing most of the power from the wall socket to wire resistance and the resultant heat (the extension cord will get warm). The extension cord itself will be drawing some of the current. Bigger diameter wire (smaller gage number) will reduce this. Also, be sure to use a socket that's on a circuit that isn't being shared by your wife's hair dryer, clothes iron or the microwave oven. Doing so will surely trip a breaker. Otherwise, you're good to go.

Regards,

Stew

DMARMORY
04-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Hey thanks AZ..I live in Missouri...So I reckon halfway! I'm not sure what the wire gauge is on the extinsion cord...I just know its a heavy duty one (use it as a motor heater for my work truck) I called Lee and the guy said it would be ok to run the pot with a cord....Just wanted to doublecheck with you pros!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Now what did I tell ya?

You'll soon have answers to questions ya haven't even thought of yet!

Just hang on, it can be a fun ride.[smilie=w:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot:cbpour:

WHITETAIL
04-26-2010, 08:22 AM
DMARMORY, Welcome to the forum!:lol:
And yes to your question.
First, spread out the boolets on a hard surface.
And let them sit in the sun for awile.
Then fill up your COLD pot.
Then add heat.
Your boolets will be dry before they melt.:Fire:

Fly
04-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I just dry my balls with a towel after I get out of the shower.
Fly

kentuckycajun
04-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Awww, geeeeez - it's gonna take awhile to get THAT visual out of my head:shock: