PDA

View Full Version : AAAARRRR, what are boolits breeding?

44man
04-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Every day I have a bunch of fruit flies here at my bench in front of the screen. I kill 20 or more a day. There is NOTHING here, no food or fruit, only boolits.
I set out vinegar and soap and never caught any so they must be lead plated.
Should I melt them down?

lavenatti
04-25-2010, 09:42 AM
I've never had a fruit fly problem in my casting area but I have had bees and wasps dive bomb me while I'm casting.

They make a fine flux.

Rockydog
04-25-2010, 09:47 AM
I would think a big old bumble bee might have enough moisture to bring on the tinsel fairy. RD

dragonrider
04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Just let him sit on top and sizzle.

mpmarty
04-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Fluxing with beeswax certainly draws the local honeybees to the casting bench.

Duckiller
04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
A small glass of white wine on your bench should attract them to one spot and then drown them.

hoosierlogger
04-25-2010, 01:47 PM
A small glass of white wine on your bench should attract them to one spot and then drown them.

Just make sure they are over 21 first.

Johnch
04-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Every day I have a bunch of fruit flies here at my bench in front of the screen. I kill 20 or more a day. There is NOTHING here, no food or fruit, only boolits.
I set out vinegar and soap and never caught any so they must be lead plated.
Should I melt them down?

Melt them , I agree they should make a decent flux

But have you considered changing after shave , mouth wash or deoderaint ?

:kidding: LOL Or maybe using some :kidding:

John

44man
04-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Melt them , I agree they should make a decent flux

But have you considered changing after shave , mouth wash or deoderaint ?

:kidding: LOL Or maybe using some :kidding:

John
Beer breath! You are closer to the truth then anyone! :redneck:

Changeling
04-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Use a 16 oz water bottle, make a "cone" about 3 to 4" long about 3/4 of an inch at one end and 1/8 to 1/4 at the small end.

Put some vinegar, sugar 1 tablespoon, and a piece of fruit in the bottle ( like a inch piece of banana) so it all comes up about 3 inches inside the bottle.

Put the small end of the cone in the bottle and push down so it is a tight fit. Keep the end of the cone a least 2 inches from the liquid.

This never fails. as a trap and you will be surprised how many you catch. They will not be able to find there way out and drown!

AZ-Stew
04-25-2010, 07:54 PM
I've had honey bees drawn into my shop while casting. I believe it's the vibrations caused by my wooden sprue plate whacker stick. When I tap on the mould hinge the stick "rings". I left the doors open one day this spring while casting because of the nice weather and before I knew it I had 4-6 bees in the shop. RAID!

I had the problem with deodorant when I lived in Virginia. When I went groundhog hunting the damned bees would swarm around me. I changed to an unscented deodorant and the problem ceased.

I've also seen bees attracted to our range (http://www.riosaladosportsmans.com/) while shooting cast boolits lubed with Alox/Beeswax lube. They follow the scent upwind and before you know it, they're buzzing around the bench. Very distracting.

Regards,

Stew

rhead
04-26-2010, 04:37 AM
I would think a big old bumble bee might have enough moisture to bring on the tinsel fairy. RD

I doubt that he would be able to get beneath the surface.

EMC45
04-26-2010, 05:53 AM
Fluxing with beeswax certainly draws the local honeybees to the casting bench.

I melted down a hunk of beeswax one day along with some Moly grease and the bees came outta nowhere. After I got done melting my lube and mixing it they converged on a spot on the ground where I had spilled some lube. Weird.

Newtire
04-26-2010, 08:29 AM
I always keep a can of Brake Kleen handy by the bench for those yellow jackets that come in. I was thinking it was the hum from the melting pot. They always come to the sound of the electric drill too.

Brake Kleen works for those few pesky mosquitos that get in and play hide and seek until they find a spot to stick you. Sharpens up the wingshooting skills. Seems once you get a few, the rest go away.

PatMarlin
04-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Fell your pain.

We've had deer flys show up just in the past few years when it gets warm, that constantly buzz your face. My wife has a concoction that uses yeast and water and makes some real stinky stuff. It attracks those flys in a trap for the most part.

I'm hoping now I can work indoors, the problem will go away.

Centaur 1
04-26-2010, 11:41 AM
No one mentioned fly paper. The stuff works for anything that lands on it, even fruit flies, and it's cheap.

ghh3rd
04-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Seems like we have lots of yellow jackets at our outdoor range. You have to double check your soda can before you take a sip, else have a mouth full of stingers.

mpmarty
04-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Seems like we have lots of yellow jackets at our outdoor range. You have to double check your soda can before you take a sip, else have a mouth full of stingers.

Yellow Jackets usually nest in the ground. Find their hole and give them a shot of CO (carbon monoxide).

Newtire
04-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Yellow Jackets usually nest in the ground. Find their hole and give them a shot of CO (carbon monoxide).

I'd be careful about what you spray them with. Unless it kills them, you are probably just going to p*** 'em off. Ace sells this foamy spray in a can and once you find the hole by watching where they return to, stand back and squirt it into the hole. It works from 20 feet away even! Next day, there might be one or two left and a pile of honeycomb around the hole. They don't return after that.

Believe it or not, a fabric softener sheet attracts them away from a picnic table. The wasp trap with beer or meat or both catches them like crazy.

HangFireW8
04-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Every day I have a bunch of fruit flies here at my bench in front of the screen. I kill 20 or more a day.

If you're talking indoors, leave a lamp on overnight with a fly trap hanging over top of it, you know the old fashioned kind of sticky tape with a thumbtack on top.

Next morning you'll see 90% attrition or more.

Then go and caulk the window frame seams, and anything else with a crack in it.

-HF